tire stem leaks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tire stem leaks

Within 1 year I had 2 tire stems fail on new tires. Is this common?
    Luckily, they were slow leaks and my TST monitor caught them.
    Ann & Mark and travel buddies, Sophie & Louie
    2018 GMC 3500HD Denali 4x4, SRW, LB, B&W Companion, Retrax Pro MX tonneau cover and 4 cameras.
    2018 27-5L booth dinette, 3 Alumaguards, wired EMS, 4 pt. leveling with JT's Strong Arm jack stabilizers, MORryde CRE 3000 suspension, disc brakes, TorkLift alum. 4-step entry, TST 507s w/repeater, 2 Lifeline AGM batteries, rear camera and triple water purification.

You're 100% sure it was the stem? Hard to imagine 2 in a row failing like that. Here is a recent thread talking about a leaking rim. You might want to investigate that too.

2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali 4x4 Diesel
    2017 Arctic Fox 22G.

Comment

Metal or Rubber Stems? Iíve got Metal Stems on ours, external sensors for the TST507 TPMS and had one seal for the sensor causing a small leak, not the stem.
      Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank, Titan Disc Brakes, MorRyde SRE4000

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4 B&W Companion

Comment

Factory rubber stems, slight tear at the base on both, not the rims. They do not stick out far enough to hit something when moving or there would be damage/scrapes to tire or rim. I guess I should change to metal.
        2018 GMC 3500HD Denali 4x4, SRW, LB, B&W Companion, Retrax Pro MX tonneau cover and 4 cameras.
        2018 27-5L booth dinette, 3 Alumaguards, wired EMS, 4 pt. leveling with JT's Strong Arm jack stabilizers, MORryde CRE 3000 suspension, disc brakes, TorkLift alum. 4-step entry, TST 507s w/repeater, 2 Lifeline AGM batteries, rear camera and triple water purification.

Comment

If you have rubber stems and an external tire pressure monitor the weight of the monitor can move the stem back and forth during travel and cause failure. Most recommendations I have read suggest steel valve stems with an external TPM. We have steel stems and external tire pressure monitors and have had no problems.
          Steve & Brenda and Our Cocker Spaniel Bella
          2017 RAM Diesel Laramie 4x4
          2017 Arctic Fox 25Y, Hensley Arrow

Comment

Yes, makes sense. I'm going to do it asap. Thanks to all.

Comment

Are there special metal stems that I should look for? How about length or even the 45 degree angled ones?

Comment

We just have the straight stems. I am not sure how long they are. Depending on the tpm they need to be tall enough that it screws on easily. I can measure them later. I would think the 45 degree stems would allow more flex but have no experience.
                edit: ours are 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 from the rim surface
                Steve & Brenda and Our Cocker Spaniel Bella
                2017 RAM Diesel Laramie 4x4
                2017 Arctic Fox 25Y, Hensley Arrow

Comment

The metal stems will also have a higher PSI rating.
                  2006 AF25P Sold
                  2004 AF30U Current
                  40in Flatscreen, Outback Power 2K Inverter/Charger
                  Solar on the way...
                  1997 F-350 7.3L Breathed on, 4:10

Elise & Brett, Sammy & Wilson - the Doxies

Go Hawks!

Comment

We had OEM rubber stems with our 1st set of tires. Used the exterior TPMS sensors and no leaks.

On our 2nd set of tires (upgraded to G rating) we had to replace a metal stem that was incorrectly mounted and the gasket was crimped (slow psi loss).
                    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

I just replaced my second metal valve stem on my right rear tire and it still has a small leak. Its driving me nuts. Fortunately we have an on board air compressor so its easy to top it with air when needed. I am beginning to suspect the wheel is leaking. Had it to Good Year heavy truck guys once and to Ford once.

Comment

Originally posted by Campsitekevin View Post
                        I just replaced my second metal valve stem on my right rear tire and it still has a small leak. Its driving me nuts. Fortunately we have an on board air compressor so its easy to top it with air when needed. I am beginning to suspect the wheel is leaking. Had it to Good Year heavy truck guys once and to Ford once.
                        When we had our slow-leak stem issue, Les Schwab filled the tire to max. psi & put it in a large water dunk tank. A hydraulic press pushed the full tire under water and held it there... I stood there for over 10 minutes until I saw a bubble form & rise from the stem area. Up to that point, LS wasn't sure if it was the rim, tire, stem, valve, etc.

I knew there was a slow leak and wasn't leaving that tank until I saw the leak bubble evidence.
                        Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

great input. I'll do that when I get home.

Comment

I suggest soapy water (like a gas leak test) so you can see the bubbles. There is no way you will be able to totally submerge an aired-up tire on a rim at home (unless you have the above-mentioned hydraulic press).
                            2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L - 4 point leveling - Onan QG 3600 Genset - 160w Solar - Rear view camera - 4x 6v batteries - Vertamax 3Kw PSW Inverter - RVLock V4 - 4x HossPads RV jack pads - Andersen Levelers - Cacagoo TPMS - more to come - 2002 F-250 Crew Cab Long Bed 7.3L - S&B Cold Air Intake - 4" Bassani X-haust turbo-back system - Air Lift 5k rear bags - SCT tuner - 16k Valley Power Pull hitch - Custom made bed-forward rack with Eide Boat Loader - Klamath 14S Deluxe fishing boat

Comment

Originally posted by RocklinDave View Post
                              On our 2nd set of tires (upgraded to G rating) we had to replace a metal stem that was incorrectly mounted and the gasket was crimped (slow psi loss).
                              An inexperienced "tire jockey" can and will over torque the metal stem on installation causing a leak.
                              2017 Arctic Fox 992 Truck Camper
                              2005 Ford F350, 6.0 Diesel, Crew Cab, 4x4, Manual Trans
                              Honda EU2000i Generator
                              River Wild 16' Drift Boat, 9.9 Honda Outboard
                              Stillwater Trout Fly Fisherman

Comment

Working...
                              X