Please Visit Our Sponsors

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for those with an Outland fire bowl (or other dev. with a propane regulator)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question for those with an Outland fire bowl (or other dev. with a propane regulator)

I am doing some planning for the summer. I plan to buy an Outland Fire Bowl and run it off my 2 large propane tanks.
    My 25Y is still covered for the winter, so some of this is from memory and what I have read on the forum.
    The factory provided propane connector is AFTER the factory regulator....low pressure.
    If you have an Outland Fire Bowl, what did you do? 1 - Use this low pressure connector and remove the regulator from the fire bowl? if so, how hard was that? OR 2 - connect the fire bowl to a connector BEFORE the factory regulator (high pressure), and keep the regulator on the fire bowl? If so, can you share the parts that you used to create that connection BEFORE the regulator?

It seems there would be a slight advantage to option 2 above. You can use the fire bowl other than connected to the trailer. Such as connected directly to a portable tank.

Thanks in advance!
    Larie
    Reno/Tahoe region
    2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
    2018 Ford F250 Lariat 4X4 Diesel Crew cab Standard box
    2014 BMW R1200 GS Adventure

We have the Outland Firebowl (Costco) - size: 'Mega'.... and love it!

After camping a couple of times with Kay & Kirk (Arctic Rebel) while enjoying their LP campfire, we got one.

We transport it in the truck bed (between the 5'r hitch and rear tailgate).

The Firebowl comes with a standard LP screw-type connector on a 10' hose, that fits all standard LP cylinders.

If you want to use the LP nipple under your trailer (using the trailer's regulator), you will have to cut the hose / Firebowl regulator away, and find a certified LP distributor to add a nipple end. Even if you find a screw-end to male nipple adapter, you still have to cut the regulator from the hose.

We didn't do that, since we may use it in our backyard / camping with a portable 5gal tank. We didn't want to be tied down to only using it with our AF only.

We feed the hose up through the open bottom space in our LP compartment and connect directly to our 10gal LP tank. The hose is plenty long enough to use away from the side of the trailer.

After 6-7 minutes, the lava rocks in the flame start to heat / glow, and put out even more heat from just the flame.

Since it's a LP fuel source, not wood, it isn't going to be as hot as a real campfire, but for ease of use and where open flames are prohibitive, you can't beat it.

Click image for larger version  Name:	imageService.jpg Views:	0 Size:	71.5 KB ID:	287524 Click image for larger version  Name:	lp.jpg Views:	0 Size:	40.7 KB ID:	287526
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

I thought about converting our fire bowl to run off the low-pressure outlet on our 25Y, but we decided to carry a separate 20 lb tank instead.

For our usage, we often set up the fire bowl some distance from the trailer (e.g., on a beach), so we need a separate tank to do that. I bought a camo cover for the tank to make it less noticeable.
      2017 Arctic Fox 25Y
      Chassis: Firestone Transforce HT LT225/75-16, Blue Ox SwayPro 1500, EezTire TPMS, BAL 28217 recessed tire carrier, 30K miles
      Electrical: EMS-HW30C surge protector, 600W solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron MPPT 100/50, Victron MultiPlus 3000, Fullriver 415 Ah AGM

2013 Silverado 2500HD LML Duramax, manual 4x4, crew cab, std box, 119K miles

Comment

Originally posted by Yabbut View Post
        I thought about converting our fire bowl to run off the low-pressure outlet on our 25Y, but we decided to carry a separate 20 lb tank instead.

For our usage, we often set up the fire bowl some distance from the trailer (e.g., on a beach), so we need a separate tank to do that. I bought a camo cover for the tank to make it less noticeable.
        X2
        2016 27-5L, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 900 watts solar, Victron 100/50MPPT, Multiplus, BMV712, CCGX, 300ah lithium.
        2019 GMC 3500 DMax SRW

Comment

I converted our fire bowl to connect to the BBQ connection in the rear of our 24M
          Removed the original regulator and hose,bought a 12 ft quick disconnect line from Amazon. Now the bowl runs off of the low pressure side of the trailer.
          2009 Silverado 1500 HD
          2015 Nash 24M
          4 legged buddy- Sherlock the American Cocker

Comment

Forgive the questions. I am planning ahead, and do not have a fire pit to look at.
            Rocklin Dave, Based on the pic you posted, the regulator is not in/on the fire pit, but at the end of the hose that connects to the propane tank. Right?
            Fireman2, you said: "Removed the original regulator and hose" Is it simply unscrewing the hose from the fire pit? Seems simple?? And screwing in a different hose. If I keep the original hose, it seems not too much of an effort to swap hoses as needed. Do you have a link to the replacement hose you bought?

Pros and cons for each approach, and discussion with my better half!

Thanks again!!!!
            Larie
            Reno/Tahoe region
            2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
            2018 Ford F250 Lariat 4X4 Diesel Crew cab Standard box
            2014 BMW R1200 GS Adventure

Comment

Originally posted by Yabbut View Post
              For our usage, we often set up the fire bowl some distance from the trailer (e.g., on a beach), so we need a separate tank to do that.
              We do the same with ours. These fire bowls use the propane quite quickly so having the dedicated tank helps with that also. The fire bowl travels in our pass through, the extra tank in the truck bed.
              2001 F-350 V-10 4X4 CC 68,000 miles. Added Larger Transmission Cooler, Rear View Camera, ScanGauge II.
              2018 Nash 26N. 540W Solar, 2nd Bathroom Medicine Cabinet, Progressive Industries EMS, Two Recliners,
              2015 Nash 17K Previous

Let's Go Geocaching!

Comment

Originally posted by Ltripreno View Post
                Forgive the questions. I am planning ahead, and do not have a fire pit to look at.
                Rocklin Dave, Based on the pic you posted, the regulator is not in/on the fire pit, but at the end of the hose that connects to the propane tank. Right?
                Fireman2, you said: "Removed the original regulator and hose" Is it simply unscrewing the hose from the fire pit? Seems simple?? And screwing in a different hose. If I keep the original hose, it seems not too much of an effort to swap hoses as needed. Do you have a link to the replacement hose you bought?

Pros and cons for each approach, and discussion with my better half!

Thanks again!!!!
                Yes, our regulator is permanently clamped onto the end of the 10' LP hose.
                Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

After the wife had to spend the campfire time inside the trailer due to breathing troubles over Thanksgiving, we purchased an Outland Fire Pit as a Christmas present to our 27-5. I, also, purchased this optional propane hose

https://www.amazon.com/Stanbroil-Con.../dp/B01N657CA6

to connect to the 5erís BBQ quick connect. I, also, saw a post on this forum where someone added a quick connect to the propane manifold located near the propane bottles.

Weíve havenít had the trailer out since Christmas so I canít speak for how it will work, I did quickly check the quick connect and it fits the trailer quick connect mate fine.

Iíll carry both hoses when we leave for the East Coast Rally in a month and a spare 20 gal propane bottle. In the past Iíve set the spare tank in a plastic milk case and carried it along with our porta tank on the basket connected to the trailerís rear hitch receiver and plan to do the same this year.

Hope this helps.
                  Jerry, Kathie, &
                  Bo, one giant Lab
                  2019 AF27-5
                  2017 Nash 24M (Sold)
                  2016 F250, 4X4, 6.7L
                  Added 2 leaf springs each side
                  50 gal Titan Fuel Tank
                  Pressure Pro TPMS
                  blog: 7rwanderers.wordpress.com

Comment

I took the regulator off the hose and added quick connects to the low side and to the
                    end of the hose so we can use ca use either the separate 5 gal tank or connect to the trailer bbq outlet.
                    Sounds complicated but it is not..

Housted
                    2015 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L CTD Tow Rig, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch.
                    2011 Arctic Fox 29-5T 2010 Arctic Fox 29-5T on permanent site in the mountains - RIP 2006 AF 29V :-(
                    https://picasaweb.google.com/1012172...eat=directlink
                    Interests: White water Kayaking,Photography,Shooting,Reloading
                    Avatar:Eastern Sierra along US395

Comment

Originally posted by Housted View Post
                      I took the regulator off the hose and added quick connects to the low side and to the
                      end of the hose so we can use ca use either the separate 5 gal tank or connect to the trailer bbq outlet.
                      Sounds complicated but it is not..

Housted
                      Reading through this, I was going to suggest that, but you beat me to it. Best of both worlds that way.
                      2018 27-5L 4 point leveling, 30 amp,
                      2000 F250
                      2000 27-5L sold after 8 great years.

Comment

I removed the regulator and hose that came with, and replaced it with this hose from Amazon. I had an additional regulated quick connect added under the propane compartment forward so I can now connect either aft or forward. What I found last summer was that 12ft wasn't really enough to put the firebowl where you really wanted it around the campsite. So... This summer I'm modifying the original hose with regulator to have a female QC on the end that went to the firebowl. Then I have two options: 12 ft to one of the low pressure QCs, or 24 ft with regulator directly to a bottle. I thought about a quick disconnect right at the firebowl but the propane experts said that was not a great idea, and any QC should be a minimum of 3ft from the flame.
                        Steve and Shelley. Minnesota
                        2017 RAM 3500 LLH CC 4x4 LB DRW 6.7ctd Aisin 4.10 Air Level aka Shrek
                        2018 AF 27-5L, HW50C ems, Maxxis Tires, TST 507, dual AC, tank heaters, Rear Camera, Toppers, 640w Solar, Victron MP 3000 Inverter, MPPT 150/85 solar charge controller, CCGX Color Monitor,BMV702 Battery Monitor
                        , 440AH Lifeline AGM, aka Fiona

Comment

Working...
                        X