Gorgeous gorge and phew!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gorgeous gorge and phew!

We pulled out yesterday (nov - 15) headed for Texas and warmer, dryer weather. We went thru the Columbia gorge about 10 AM and it was just gorgeous. We have been thru there many times, in all weathers, but this was the first time we have gone thru with the wind nil. The river was lying like a mirror the biggest part of it, still a lot of turning leaves, light traffic and very enjoyable. We went on and spent the night in La Grande at the hot springs. There we discovered a very disagreeable odor from the grey water tank. I had not rinsed it well I guess upon storage and it smells like rotten eggs. There was a light odor in the trailer but when I went to wash my face off the odor nearly knocked me down --- phew! Figured I would rinse it good on the next stop where it might be a little warmer . We were at the trailers birth place so I swung in to ask them a question about the LR slide. It is raised off the floor about an inch or so after retracting and I was not sure if that was a problem or not. Anyway the were happy to look at things and checked all seals, approved and send us on our way. Thanks Northwood.
    Stopped for the night in Heyburn ID next to the Snake Rv. Nice park, and I intended to flush that grey tank really good. The sewer connections are at the far back of the trailer and I don't have enough hose to reach it - mumble, mumble. Oh well will get around to that sooner or later where we stop on our travels.
    What do you folks do about grey tank smells?
    Old, fat, ugly and armed
    2017 Artic Fox 29-5T
    Chevy 2500HD, 6.6 Duramax

Don't know if you've checked the air admittance valves but check those and tighten them if they are at all loose. We were getting a whiff, and found both valves loose. One at the bathroom sink and one at the kitchen sink. Tightened both and no more odors.
    2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali 4x4 Diesel
    2017 Arctic Fox 22G.

Comment

We put a cap-full of blue toilet deodorizer into the gray tank on trips.
      Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Our rotten egg smell was actually the "fresh" water was not sanitized properly.
        Well water in your system or is it chlorinated city water ?
        2018 GMC 3500 SB diesel
        2017 Arctic fox 27-5l 50Amp 5.5 Gen, 4 6 volt, 450W solar,ARPrv,michelin xps,built in surge suppressor, Tank Heat Pads and 4 Point Leveling System

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions folks. Hammster I checked the vents and they were tight so no glory. Filled the grey tank and dumped it and that seems to have solve the problem. Our fresh water tank WAS filled w/ fresh well water but fresh was not the problem. Phew has disappeared and our journey continues. Saw some more gorgeous country today going thru Moab UT and on into Farmington NM for the night. We lived in Farmington for a couple of years in the 70's and did not like it. Town has grown a lot - still don't like it. Has to have some of the worst roads I have been down, crowded and just looks dirty (to us at least). The adventure continues and on to Texas tomorrow.
          Old, fat, ugly and armed
          2017 Artic Fox 29-5T
          Chevy 2500HD, 6.6 Duramax

Comment

Working...
          X