Big screw up on my part.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big screw up on my part.

I've read several posts on other forums where folks leave their san-i-flush on and the black valve closed. They usually end up with a huge mess on their floor. Well, you guessed it, I did the same thing the other day. We're set up on our RV lot in Yuma and were working in the yard and I thought it would be a good idea to dump and flush the tanks. Got distracted and forgot about what I did when my wife asked why there would be water running off the roof. I pulled the valve and shut off the water and very hesitantly went into the camper expecting the worst. Nothing. I did learn the black tank is black only and all the joints are glued. Got out the spray bottle of bleach and sprayed everything down and rinsed again. Thanks to Northwood for their design. Now on to my next screw up.
    Ken and Rita Madsen
    2018 GMC 3500 Duramax, 2016 27-5L AF

None of us has ever done anything similar, Iím sure (assorted smilies). Sounds like no major damage other than ego. And remember, your vent got cleaned out.
    Mark and Anita
    09 Tundra with engine, exhaust, and tires; 2012 AF 22H and some hitching stuff I paid too much for; old Schwinn bike now gone and new Cannondale Quick in its place, Honda 110 (now licensed, but not running), case of cheap red wine, bag of Cheese Curls, and a hammer or two (one rusty).

Comment

I have my phone timer app handy when I am flushing the black tank.
      Unless I get I get distracted away from earshot I hope I will be good.

Glad you didn't damage anything that a adult beverage cant make better.
      2018 GMC 3500 SB diesel
      2017 Arctic fox 27-5l 50Amp 5.5 Gen, 4 6 volt, 450W solar,ARPrv,michelin xps,built in surge suppressor, Tank Heat Pads and 4 Point Leveling System

Comment

Maybe a "Black Tank Cleaning Suit" next time ?

Click image for larger version

Name:	rBVaI1j_ICyANbKGAAFj_2hDizk134.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	118.1 KB
ID:	283924
        Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Whew!! So glad for you that there was no over flow in your bathroom!!!!!!!! I do what Art does, (Thanks to Bill Z's suggestion), but mistakes happen and I hope that if this ever does happens to me I have the same results as you.
          2005 Dodge Diesel 3500: 5.9L Cummins Turbo-Diesel, 3.73 4WD 4SPD SRW, quad cab, long bed, B&W Companion Hitch. Rebuilt tranny, PakBrake Exhaust Brake, PakBrake Airbags w/ Wireless remote fill.

2017 Arctic Fox 27 5L: 4-Point Leveling System, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 30amp surge protector, Slide-Toppers, 2" Receiver, TPMS TST 507, ARP Controller, Sailun G rated tires.

Comment

Oh Dave, thanks for the great chuckle on a cold foggy morning!

I also do as Bill, Art and Karin.
            Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4 B&W Companion

Comment

I did the same thing (got distracted) and was alerted by my DW's frantic screams. In my case however we had a mess in the bathroom floor. It did get cleaned up OK and was a minimum inflow before being spotted. I can only guess the close valve on the stool was/is loose enough it allowed the back pressure flow. It does not leak on outflow and holds seal water fine.
              Old, fat, ugly and armed
              2017 Artic Fox 29-5T
              Chevy 2500HD, 6.6 Duramax

Comment

Ok if no one is gonna say it I will

Dumb Sh!t.

Bill

PS : one of my good friends did this and shared the timer suggestion.

Glad and it turned out as well as it did.

this is one of the few dumb things I havenít done yet!

Dont beat yourself up too much itís easy to do and many have gone before you
                Bill, Mary, and Scottie
                2015 RAM 3500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin, SRW, Hensley BD-3 Hitch
                2017 AF 27-5L
                http://badges.fuelly.com/images/smallsig-us/719790.png

Comment

Oh. Believe me Iím not beating myself up. Iíve already done all other screwups. This is just the ongoing process of paying tuition. This confession was part of my dissertation.
                  Ken and Rita Madsen
                  2018 GMC 3500 Duramax, 2016 27-5L AF

Comment

Thanks for the heads-up Ken. The only reason I've yet to do this is because of everyone on here telling of stuff that happened to them and letting us all learn. I use the phone timer also. I like to flush a bit and then close the valve for two minutes, dump again, then flush a little more. How many minutes does everyone else use?
                    Steve and Shelley. Minnesota
                    2017 RAM 3500 LLH CC 4x4 LB DRW 6.7ctd Aisin 4.10 Air Level aka Shrek
                    2018 AF 27-5L, HW50C ems, Maxxis Tires, TST 507, dual AC, tank heaters, Rear Camera, Toppers, 640w Solar, Victron MP 3000 Inverter, MPPT 150/85 solar charge controller, CCGX Color Monitor,BMV702 Battery Monitor
                    , 440AH Lifeline AGM, aka Fiona

Comment

All of our exterior hoses at the residence have a shut off coupling at the male end(found at hardware stores, big box Home Improvement stores, Amazon, etc.........the coupling, not the male end.........well they do have those also). I attach a shut off coupling to the San-T-Flush. The shut off is closed. Water hose is attached to the coupling. Water is turned on.
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	284029
                      The coupling is in the off position until the dump valve is opened. Only until then is the water flow allowed to the ingress through the San-T-Flush.
                      2017 Arctic Fox 992 Truck Camper
                      2005 Ford F350, 6.0 Diesel, Crew Cab, 4x4, Manual Trans
                      Honda EU2000i Generator
                      River Wild 16' Drift Boat, 9.9 Honda Outboard
                      Stillwater Trout Fly Fisherman

Comment

I also do what Rolland, Art, Karin and Bill do with smart phone. However an alternative shown me is to use a spray nozzle with handle that screws into the San T Flush. If not holding the handle down on sprayer, water stops. Seems a bit tedious, but if you leave the scene, the water stops flowing.
                        Neil and Marilyn and Beamer (feline)
                        2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax 6.6L 4x4 Double Cab LB, 5th Spring, Ride Rite Air Bags, Tires: 275/75R18 125/122 3640 lb rated, 40 gal Transfer Flow Aux Tank.

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L, Progressive EMS HW30C Surge Protector, TST 507 TPMS w/Color, Sailun Tires G rated, 2 Smart Tool 2000's, Titan Disk Brakes.

Of all the things I've lost. I miss my mind the most :-)

Comment

Did the same. Fortunately I was in the rig at the time and heard the toilet gurgling. Made a
                          mad dash out the door to open the dump valve. No disaster, just an elevated heart rate.
                          Kim + Betsy
                          2017 AF 35-5Z
                          2017 F450 Lariat

Comment

So the question would be..........Was your dump valve hose connected to a sewer? :-) I imagine so of course.
                            Neil and Marilyn and Beamer (feline)
                            2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax 6.6L 4x4 Double Cab LB, 5th Spring, Ride Rite Air Bags, Tires: 275/75R18 125/122 3640 lb rated, 40 gal Transfer Flow Aux Tank.

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L, Progressive EMS HW30C Surge Protector, TST 507 TPMS w/Color, Sailun Tires G rated, 2 Smart Tool 2000's, Titan Disk Brakes.

Of all the things I've lost. I miss my mind the most :-)

Comment

So this reminds me of having the dump valves open, disconnecting the cap and trying to connect the drain hose in mid stream. I blamed it on someone else.
                              2012 Dodge Laramie, 2500 CTD, crew cab
                              2015 Arctic Fox 25Y, TM-2030 battery monitor,SC-2030 solar charger, 300w solar system,Tripp-Lite 2000W power inverter,TPMS-510RV, Michelin 225 75R 16 LT tires.

Comment

Working...
                              X