dual a/c for 29.5K?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dual a/c for 29.5K?

We had our first shakedown cruise in our coach. Although we camped at an altitude of about 1500' MSL it was still quite steamy and humid. We are planning an upcoming trip to the Florida panhandle and it caused me to wonder if my Airxcel 48203C966 13.5K btu a/c was up to the task. Has anyone swapped their 13.5K for a 15K? Was it worth the trouble and expense?

Has anyone added a 2nd 13.5K to the bedroom? Is the coach prewired from the factory for the 2nd a/c? Any breakers tripped on a 50 amp hookup with both a/c's running?

Doyle, Deborah, & Lizzie

2016 Chevrolet
    4x4 3500 WT Duramax DRW crewcab
    2014 Arctic Fox 29.5K
    B&W RVK3500 Companion hitch

Originally posted by obie311 View Post
    Is the coach prewired from the factory for the 2nd a/c? Any breakers tripped on a 50 amp hookup with both a/c's running?
    Is your current shore power cord 3-prong or 4-prong (4-prong is 50amp)?

We have a factory installed bedroom a/c unit. With 50amp service and both a/c units running at the same time + microwave, etc, we have never tripped any breakers due to power consumption.

If you are pre-wired for 50amp and are contemplating upgrading your main a/c unit to also cool the bedroom, I would suggest adding a separate bedroom a/c instead.

Even on the hottest of summer days, with the bedroom & main a/c units running, and the door between the rooms closed (to make two separate cooling zones), both areas are cool & comfortable.... with the bedroom so cold, you could hang meat from the ceiling .
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Your coach is pre-wired for the second a/c and you already have 50 amp. You should have an electrical box in the ceiling in the bedroom a few inches from your ceiling vent. It will have a smooth outlet cover on it. Your 120 volt wires are behind that cover. You can run both a/c's with no breaker issues. The best solution would be the second a/c over changing your current 13.5k for the 15k.
      Tony
      2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Crew Cab LB DRW 6.7 Cummins/Aisin 4.10,
      Curt Q24, 2015 Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE,
      2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox,
      Four Cats and yes they travel with us.

Comment

I'll look for the outlet box next time I'm up at the storage. If it's prewired and the a/c unit isn't too expensive, I'll add the 2nd unit. I guess you use the existing Fan tastic 14x14 cutout.

Since the ceiling is low in the bedroom, I imagine it would be OK to get a unit with external controls. Seems like no need to hook it to the master thermostat in the hall?

Would something like this be a suitable 2nd a/c?
        Doyle, Deborah, & Lizzie

2016 Chevrolet
        2014 Arctic Fox 29.5K

Comment

Originally posted by obie311 View Post
          I'll look for the outlet box next time I'm up at the storage. If it's prewired and the a/c unit isn't too expensive, I'll add the 2nd unit. I guess you use the existing Fan tastic 14x14 cutout.

Since the ceiling is low in the bedroom, I imagine it would be OK to get a unit with external controls. Seems like no need to hook it to the master thermostat in the hall?

Would something like this be a suitable 2nd a/c?
          Yes, the bedroom a/c unit, uses the bedroom vent. You still retain the OEM skylight.

That Coleman unit looks like it would work.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Make sure that you get a low profile AC unit for the bedroom. You are already over 13' and you'll need to stay as low as you can.
            Rich

2016 Chevrolet 3500HD LT Dually 4x4 DMax/Allison, B&W RVK 3700, Extreme Air Onboard Air Compressor
            2014 Arctic Fox 29 5T, TST 507 Tire Pressure Monitor, Honda 2000i Generator, Sailun S637 G Tires

Semper Fi USMC 1981 - 1985

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/548548.png

Comment

I found the 110V AC wiring box in the ceiling and I will definitely get a low profile unit if I have to add the 2nd a/c. Thanks to all the helpful folks on this list.
              Doyle, Deborah, & Lizzie

2016 Chevrolet
              2014 Arctic Fox 29.5K

Comment

I previously owned another brand large fiver with a factory installed second ac unit over the bedroom. Two ac units were capable of cooling the trailer in all temperature conditions I encountered. I'm a believer in a second ac unit in large trailers with 50 amp power.

However, having explained my personal experience and preference, I'll encourage you to consider the current height of your trailer and also carefully consider the added height with a second ac unit. Arctic Fox fivers are tall . . . taller than the HitchHiker I owned. My highest point on the HH was 13' 2" with the second bedroom ac unit installed. I encountered one old railroad trestle in northern AR that I could not clear.

I have an old Navy friend who lives at Shell Knob, MO. Several years ago I left his place headed home and wanted to travel south to Berryville, AR then west on US62 toward Eureka Springs, Rogers, and Bentonville and ultimately join the Okie Turnpike between Joplin and Tulsa but there was and probably still is a very low railroad trestle along that route. I think it was between Berryville and Eureka Springs but it's been many years.

The backroads and small towns of Arkansas are generally beautiful and enjoyable if you enjoy slower travel and scenery rather than interstates but if you add a second roof ac unit to your AF29.5 you may possible run into similar low height limited roadways. Do your homework before you decide.

Exchanging your factory 13.5k ac unit for a 15k might be a preferable compromise.
                Harvey Barlow
                USN Retired
                Glade Springs, WV
                2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab & Chassis, Cummins ISB6.7 Aisin CM Flatbed BrakeSmart Transfer Flow 223k miles
                2011 Arctic Fox 26X LT245/75R16LRE tires (SOLD)
                2012 Unnamed 10' Slide-In Truck Camper

Comment

Thanks Harvey. Good point you make. I think I saw that trestle when riding my motorcycle around Eureka Springs.
                  Doyle, Deborah, & Lizzie

2016 Chevrolet
                  2014 Arctic Fox 29.5K

Comment

I have a 35z and put the 2nd AC in were the fanfastic fan goes. I put in a domectic low profile unit. Cost was 1400$. Worth all the money in the world.

Comment

Originally posted by BigRam View Post
                      ...I have a 35z and put the 2nd AC. Worth all the money in the world...
                      As we just arrived in Indianapolis, with 89 degrees @ 77% humidity ...... the 1st thing we did was fire-up BOTH air conditioner units !

Comment

Working...
                      X