How “Off-Road” Are You Willing to Go?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How “Off-Road” Are You Willing to Go?

I am currently camped at Annie Creek Snow Park just outside the South Entrance to Crater Lake NP. The road coming down to my dispersed camping site (National Forest) is dirt, fairly well rutted, and relatively steep. I came down the hill very slowly to prevent jostling the trailer and contents. I was not concerned about bottoming out or scraping, the ruts are not quite that deep.

It made me wonder, though, what the limits are for my Travel Trailer. It’s made with the “off-road” chassis, but how much would be too much? I realize this may be subjective, but experiences and personal gauges would be interesting to hear.
    2016 Arctic Fox 29l
    2017 F-250 6.7l Diesel Crew Cab Short Bed
    Renogy Solar 300 Watt System
    Xantrex ProWatt 1000 Sine Wave Inverter
    Home Port: Sturgeon Bay, WI

I wouldn't call any NW chassis "off road". It's about as old school as you can get. Superior welding or gusseting makes them stronger, but the overall design is no different than a utility trailer with shocks. With that being said I do go down gravel wash boarded roads and the occasional fire road.
    True "off road" trailers are built like the Aussies build them.
    2012 Ram 2500 CTD
    2013 Fox Mountain 235 RLS

Comment

Driven on Interstate 5, between Stockton & Bakersfield, many teeth-rattling times.....

Does that count?
      Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

I'll take my trailer just about anywhere that I can safely get it into and out of. My truck and trailer both have stock suspensions and normal-width all-season highway LT tires, so that rules out some surfaces. For example, towing on deep soft mud, deep snow, or sharp broken rock would be bad ideas.

I try to minimize my reliance on 4WD to haul the trailer, although a few places require the truck to be in 4WD, due to localized soft sand or steep dirt grades.

Other than surface composition, really uneven surfaces can bring the trailer very close to grounding out. The front step box limits the rough-road adventures in my 25Y, but it leaves me some spare clearance with the truck. I'd rather find my clearance limit on the trailer than the truck (which may leave me close to being stuck).

Basically, my "off-road" terrain limit is in the range where a well-driven normal passenger sedan would be in real jeopardy of getting stuck or getting a flat.

And then there's lateral and vertical clearance, usually to vegetation. I've taken the trailer through narrow tracks where both sides of the trailer were pushing bushes at the same time. I prefer not to do that, but I'll do it for a good site.
        2017 Arctic Fox 25Y
        Chassis: Firestone Transforce HT LT225/75-16, Blue Ox SwayPro 1500, EezTire TPMS, 21K miles
        Electrical: EMS-HW30C surge protector, 600W solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron MPPT 100/50

2013 Silverado 2500HD LML Duramax, manual 4x4, crew cab, std box, 106K miles

Comment

I'd also take into consideration that will I be able to turn around someplace, and if it rains will the road now support the weight of truck and trailer without sinking in. There was a write up somewhere of someone who ventured offroad with his trailer and ended up getting bogged down in the mud. They ended up being there for about two weeks before someone could pull them out with a tractor.
          Rich

2016 Chevrolet 3500HD LT Dually 4x4 DMax/Allison, B&W RVK 3700, Extreme Air Onboard Air Compressor
          2014 Arctic Fox 29 5T, TST 507 Tire Pressure Monitor, Honda 2000i Generator, Sailun S637 G Tires

Semper Fi USMC 1981 - 1985

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/548548.png

Comment

Did someone say Aussie!

Posted several years back
            Adam
            2007 Dodge 2500 Megacab 5.9 3.73 4X4 4SPD auto
            07 Arctic Fox 31W-BH 35' Hensley Hitch/Brake Smart Controller - Access site with Desktop win10 machine
            07 AF31W Mod's
            Previous trailer 03 Arctic Fox 29V

Comment

I made one wrong turn heading to the North rim of the Grand Canyon. The road was fine just very narrow. Thank goodness there was a hiking parking area that I could turn around at or it would have been a lot of backing.

Without the wrong turn the drive to Crazy Jug Point would have been fairly uneventful. The view was great and we had the place to ourselves for 2 days.

Valley of the God's had a couple decent creek bottoms to drive through, but again you don't get to have treasures like this without putting in a little effort

Last edited by HEAP64; 07-14-2018, 04:09 AM.
              James, Kim & the Goldendoodles (Lucy & Regan)
              2012 Ford F250 XLT CC SB 4x4 6.7 ARE Topper and Decked Drawer System
              2013 Arctic Fox 25Y (1250# tongue weight with mods)
              Bridgestone Duravis R250 LT245/75-16 w/TST 507 internal sensors
              Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500 w/Reese Titan Weight Dist Shank

Mods 4-6v battery bank and 500w solar

Comment

I bought a truck camper because I routinely go way off road. Way, way off road....
                2017 Wolf Creek 850
                BoondockersWelcome Host

Comment

Slow and easy on dirt and gravel not a problem for us so far in the North East. Only issue we had was what appeared to be a mild crest that we got the rear jacks hung up on. Because it was on a turn with trees lining both sides it was not simply a matter of backing out. After several hours and using our Anderson levelers and Lego blocks under the wheels we eventually escaped. The issue wasn't so much the crest but at the bottom of the small hill instead of the road leveling out it went back uphill. From the driver's seat it didn't look all that bad....
                  2016 Arctic Fox 32-5M, 300 watt Zamp Solar Kit, 2 T105 Trojan 6 volts, 5.5 Onan LP Generator, 6pt leveling system, 2nd 13.5k A/C, Slide Toppers, Fireplace, King Bed, Central Vac. Hardwired Surge Guard Model 34560.

2016 Ford F-450 Lariat. B&W Companion Hitch. Remax Bed Roll Cover, Bed Carpet.

Florida based

Comment

Originally posted by rocklindave View Post
                    driven on interstate 5, between stockton & bakersfield, many teeth-rattling times.....

Does that count?
                    hahahaha!!!
                    2005 Dodge Diesel 3500: 5.9L Cummins Turbo-Diesel, 3.73 4WD 4SPD SRW, quad cab, long bed, B&W Companion Hitch. Rebuilt tranny, PakBrake Exhaust Brake, PakBrake Airbags w/ Wireless remote fill.

2017 Arctic Fox 27 5L: 4-Point Leveling System, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 30amp surge protector, Slide-Toppers, 2" Receiver, TPMS TST 507, ARP Controller, Sailun G rated tires.

Comment

Driven on Interstate 5, between Stockton & Bakersfield, many teeth-rattling times.....

Does that count?

We broke a trailer leaf spring on that stretch a long time ago. Shout out to Chester Ave Brake & Spring in Bakersfield for staying late and getting us on the road again!
                      Ramjet & The Louis
                      Roger & Susan
                      Two Labradors-Shadow & Kanoe'
                      2010 Ford F-250 King Ranch 6.4L Diesel
                      2018 Arctic Silver Fox 32A
                      EazLift Elite 1200# hitch

Comment

Awesome video Adam! I take our rig off road and out and about as long as I know I can turn around (which I verify with google maps or hiking). I have had to use 4 wheel drive many times to get to a good place. And for those that will criticize me for using it off roads, let me just say that is why we bought it, to be out in nature and enjoy the wildlife. One time in the forests south of the grand canyon we had 4 wild horses hang around the rv for several days, what a beautiful site it was. And on the North rim of the Grand Canyon, out on a long dirt road we found a nest where a condor lived, his number was as I remember 48, we reported the siting to the local agency that monitors their recovery back into the states. And yes, I have a few scratches and even one little dent but to us, it is better than staying in an rv park with another rv 5 feet from your door and when you look out a window all you see is another rv window. The US has so much to see and enjoy!
                        Arctic Rebel
                        2012 F-250
                        2016 27-5L
                        www.knkstravels.com

Comment

Originally posted by Arctic Rebel View Post
                          Awesome video Adam! I take our rig off road and out and about as long as I know I can turn around (which I verify with google maps or hiking). I have had to use 4 wheel drive many times to get to a good place..... that is why we bought it, to be out in nature and enjoy the wildlife...... And yes, I have a few scratches and even one little dent but to us, it is better than staying in an rv park with another rv 5 feet from your door and when you look out a window all you see is another rv window. The US has so much to see and enjoy!
                          Well said! Wish we were neighbors as it is always fun to have company on such adventures.
                          2001 F-350 V-10 4X4 CC 68,000 miles. Added Larger Transmission Cooler, Rear View Camera, ScanGauge II.
                          2018 Nash 26N. 540W Solar, 2nd Bathroom Medicine Cabinet, Progressive Industries EMS, Two Recliners,
                          2015 Nash 17K Previous

Let's Go Geocaching!

Comment

I must learn to boondock some day...
                            Last edited by ProfQuinn; 07-13-2018, 08:39 PM. Reason: autocorrect help
                            Mark and Anita
                            09 Tundra with engine, exhaust, and tires; 2012 AF 22H and some hitching stuff I paid too much for; old Schwinn bike now gone and new Cannondale Quick in its place, Honda 110 (now licensed, but not running), case of cheap red wine, bag of Cheese Curls, and a hammer or two (one rusty).

Comment

Originally posted by ProfQuinn View Post
                              I must learn to boondock some day...
                              There are some really amazing boondocking spots out there. The spot below is ~3/4 mile from pavement on a dirt road. The nearest other RV was at least 1/4 mile away. The view out of the slide windows was surreal.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Badlands1.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	212.5 KB
ID:	279077
                              2017 Arctic Fox 25Y
                              Chassis: Firestone Transforce HT LT225/75-16, Blue Ox SwayPro 1500, EezTire TPMS, 21K miles
                              Electrical: EMS-HW30C surge protector, 600W solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron MPPT 100/50

2013 Silverado 2500HD LML Duramax, manual 4x4, crew cab, std box, 106K miles

Comment

Working...
                              X