Practicing using your escape windows - A really good idea

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practicing using your escape windows - A really good idea

This came up on another thread so before it gets that thread way off topic I thought I would post some info on this subject. Starting with some really good videos.

http://www.macthefireguy.com/videos
    Adam
    2007 Dodge 2500 Megacab 5.9 3.73 4X4 4SPD auto
    07 Arctic Fox 31W-BH 35' Hensley Hitch/Brake Smart Controller - Access site with Desktop win10 machine
    07 AF31W Mod's
    Previous trailer 03 Arctic Fox 29V

We run occasional fire/exit drills in Fiona. I sound the alarm... then ignore the wifely eye roll. We turn off the lights, get in bed and close our eyes, and then practice getting to the window and getting it open. It is surprisingly hard to do it fast. I think the geek drills stem from my time on aircraft carriers when you had to escape from three decks down blindfolded.
    Steve and Shelley. Minnesota
    2017 RAM 3500 LLH CC 4x4 LB DRW 6.7ctd Aisin 4.10 Air Level aka Shrek
    2018 AF 27-5L, HW50C ems, Maxxis Tires, TST 507, dual AC, tank heaters, Rear Camera, Toppers, 640w Solar, Victron MP 3000 Inverter, MPPT 150/85 solar charge controller, CCGX Color Monitor,BMV702 Battery Monitor
    , 440AH Lifeline AGM, aka Fiona

Comment

I just tested our escape window two days ago as I was scraping caulking. It hasnít been open in five years, but functioned as it should have. Since we had a level two evac last night in our subdivision due to a sage fire on the adjacent hill, Iím glad this issue is being reviewed. Funny Iíd never thought about itís use until now.
      Mark and Anita
      09 Tundra with engine, exhaust, and tires; 2012 AF 22H and some hitching stuff I paid too much for; old Schwinn bike now gone and new Cannondale Quick in its place, Honda 110 (now licensed, but not running), case of cheap red wine, bag of Cheese Curls, and a hammer or two (one rusty).

Comment

At close to 80 years, I have a tough enough problem getting out the freakin' door !
        BPofMD - Bud & Penny / Actively Retired Navy Vet
        2005 F250 6.0 - TorqLift Upper Overloads
        2007 Silver Fox 29-E 5th Wheel / Anderson Ultimate Hitch
        2015 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Comment

Guess the wife will have to practice exiting the window, with a load of pillows.

Gently placing the pillows under the window, should soften my exit onto the ground below.
          Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Guess the wife will have to practice exiting the window, with a load of pillows.

Gently placing the pillows under the window, should soften my exit onto the ground below.

Yes I agree and I think that suggestion has come up before. :-) However maybe AF is on to something with reversing the direction bedroom door(s) open as they have with the 27-5L. I suppose they have with other models, if needed, as well. I can't jump and hit the ground with a twist and roll anymore. More likely I'd land like a sack of rocks! And another good reason for a stairway grip as Bill Z did. Without it I'd might just land on my nose at bottom of stairs trying to beat my wife to the door. :-) I jest :-)
            Neil and Marilyn and Beamer (feline)
            2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax 6.6L 4x4 Double Cab LB, 5th Spring, Ride Rite Air Bags, Tires: 275/75R18 125/122 3640 lb rated, 40 gal Transfer Flow Aux Tank.

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L, Progressive EMS HW30C Surge Protector, TST 507 TPMS w/Color, Sailun Tires G rated, 2 Smart Tool 2000's, Titan Disk Brakes.

Of all the things I've lost. I miss my mind the most :-)

Comment

Not disagreeing with practice, but I'm not going out the window unless I really have to.
              It's a long way to the ground......
              Kim + Betsy
              2017 AF 35-5Z
              2017 F450 Lariat

Comment

Originally posted by BPofMD View Post
                At close to 80 years, I have a tough enough problem getting out the freakin' door !
                I hear ya and feel the same way!!!
                2015 RAM 3500 Laramie 6.7L CTD Tow Rig, Andersen Ultimate 5th Wheel hitch.
                2011 Arctic Fox 29-5T 2010 Arctic Fox 29-5T on permanent site in the mountains - RIP 2006 AF 29V :-(
                https://picasaweb.google.com/1012172...eat=directlink
                Interests: White water Kayaking,Photography,Shooting,Reloading
                Avatar:Eastern Sierra along US395

Comment

Maybe something like THIS would work to exit the emergency window without one crashing below.

Rich

2016 Chevrolet 3500HD LT Dually 4x4 DMax/Allison, B&W RVK 3700, Extreme Air Onboard Air Compressor
                  2014 Arctic Fox 29 5T, TST 507 Tire Pressure Monitor, Honda 2000i Generator, Sailun S637 G Tires

Semper Fi USMC 1981 - 1985

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/548548.png

Comment

The link I provided does not go to the 13' emergency escape ladder I was trying to show everyone. HD does have them along with other providers. I'm having issues editing out the link or correcting it.
                    Rich

2016 Chevrolet 3500HD LT Dually 4x4 DMax/Allison, B&W RVK 3700, Extreme Air Onboard Air Compressor
                    2014 Arctic Fox 29 5T, TST 507 Tire Pressure Monitor, Honda 2000i Generator, Sailun S637 G Tires

Semper Fi USMC 1981 - 1985

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/548548.png

Comment

I just also tried to correct the link for you and it will not let me either so best I could do was to add it to your sentence, software ugh!
                      Adam
                      2007 Dodge 2500 Megacab 5.9 3.73 4X4 4SPD auto
                      07 Arctic Fox 31W-BH 35' Hensley Hitch/Brake Smart Controller - Access site with Desktop win10 machine
                      07 AF31W Mod's
                      Previous trailer 03 Arctic Fox 29V

Comment

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kidde-13...8093/100541080
                        2017 Arctic Fox 992 Truck Camper
                        2005 Ford F350, 6.0 Diesel, Crew Cab, 4x4, Manual Trans
                        Honda EU2000i Generator
                        River Wild 16' Drift Boat, 9.9 Honda Outboard
                        Stillwater Trout Fly Fisherman

Comment

We purchased the emergency ladder but I really cannot recommend it unless there is just no way you are comfortable with just going out the window hanging on to window seal and dropping to ground. The ladder is fairly easy to extend but a pain to get your feet on and climb down, just much faster to climb out and drop especially if your waiting on someone to climb down the ladder. We did practice one time and it will scratch the side of your trailer when you put weight on the rungs. Ours made it to the ground with three rungs left, our 27-5L is 13'6" tall. I am 68 d/w 70 and we both managed to climb down ladder but we also did the climb out and drop way also. I'd say we are in average health. I do recommend the brace to hold the window open, that makes a big difference.
                          Bill
                          Bill & Gloria
                          2013 27-5L, B&W Companion, Reese 5th Airborne and Tri-Metric TM2025RV Battery Monitor. Honda EU2000i, Wired Rear View Camera. 2002 F350 7.3 Diesel, 6 Speed, LB, 4X4. To Many Mods To Even Talk About. US Navy Retired. NO NFL FOR ME.

Comment

Iíve pondered a ladder but always stopped as with the height of the window, then folding the body to get it out the window I would consider attaching a decent sized extinguisher in the bathroom so it can be grabbed to make a way out.

Maybe a fire is the best reason for the remote on our entry RV Lock.
                            Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4 B&W Companion

Comment

After further review. We don't have an emergency exit window in the bedroom. Not sure I could squeeze
                              through the bedroom window as it only opens half way. The nearest exit window is on the other side of
                              the bedroom door, right next to the refer - usually the cause of rv fires. Guess I'll be making a dash for the
                              main door.
                              Kim + Betsy
                              2017 AF 35-5Z
                              2017 F450 Lariat

Comment

Working...
                              X