29-5T Escape window mods?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 29-5T Escape window mods?

We are really happy w/ our 29-5T w/ a couple of exceptions. One is the front escape window. It would sure be nice if that was a real window that opened for ventilation instead of a big piece of glass. Has anyone figured out how to put up a screen and how to prop this open? Odds are if I ever need that escape window I will just take a deep breath of the smoke and lay back down and count to ---------.
    Only other real bother is the bath sink - if you try to bend over to wash your face off the faucet hits you in the eyeball - mumble, mumble. Would be nice if the designer had actually tried to use the sink and figured this out - oh well.
    Old, fat, ugly and armed
    2017 Artic Fox 29-5T
    Chevy 2500HD, 6.6 Duramax

While at the rally, we got to talking to two of the Northwood factory reps. Very nice gentlemen and they wanted feedback on the new models, as well as our current 5th wheel.

I mentioned the 29-5T non-opening main bedroom window. They were both surprised that it didn't open & didn't know why it was a sealed unit (except for the emergency open feature). They asked a couple of questions and made a notation on a card about the window.

I wouldn't be surprised that the window glass opens on next year's model. You might check the new Northwood brochures in the fall, and if changed, you might be able to order an opening window from a dealer.
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

In my 07 AF31W there was no venting windows at all in the bedroom just an escape window and a non-opening window. After 8 years I decided to replace the escape window with a escape slider type after I realized that is exactly what they put behind the couch in the trailer! I posted my process HERE
      Adam
      2007 Dodge 2500 Megacab 5.9 3.73 4X4 4SPD auto
      07 Arctic Fox 31W-BH 35' Hensley Hitch/Brake Smart Controller - Access site with Desktop win10 machine
      07 AF31W Mod's
      Previous trailer 03 Arctic Fox 29V

Comment

So, after reading this post, I went out to our Fox to see if the 27-5L bedroom window opens up for ventilation, (I thought it did, but then started to doubt myself) in addition to it being an emergency escape. Whew!! It does. I'm very surprised the 29 does not. Makes no sense.
        2005 Dodge Diesel 3500: 5.9L Cummins Turbo-Diesel, 3.73 4WD 4SPD SRW, quad cab, long bed, B&W Companion Hitch. Rebuilt tranny, PakBrake Exhaust Brake, PakBrake Airbags w/ Wireless remote fill.

2017 Arctic Fox 27 5L: 4-Point Leveling System, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 30amp surge protector, Slide-Toppers, 2" Receiver, TPMS TST 507, ARP Controller, Sailun G rated tires.

Comment

Our escape window DOES open and swing outward so you could bail out of it (if you were young, slender, agile and brave) but there is nothing to hold it open. A standard window that opens w/ a screen like the one in the living room would be excellent.
          Old, fat, ugly and armed
          2017 Artic Fox 29-5T

Comment

Our previous fifth wheel was a Komfort (mentioning it here so may this can be passed along to the folks that need to know). I am pretty sure the windows were alsondeom Hehr. They were single pane but in he bedroom the escape window would open in one piece for ventilation like an awning window. Has a screen on the inside as well. To open it it had about a 12 lever when closed would clasp to the window frame, then pivot it inside 90 degrees and push out the window about 8 or so. It only had one setting but could also just leave it unlatched which would leave the base out a few inches. They may not work on with dual pane and if not Id take one over no ventilation in a bedroom any day
            Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4 B&W Companion

Comment

Originally posted by plain ol Bill View Post
              A standard window that opens w/ a screen like the one in the living room would be excellent.
              I did not do a very good job in describing what kind of window we have in the bedrrom. Sorry about that. Our bedroom window opens like a regular window with a screen. It opens and slides to the left, leaving the screen exposed and the air coming in. It also has the two handles at the base of the window and swings open, thus allowing some skinny ninja to jump out and down to the ground, way way below. I was just telling Mary we should probably buy one of those emergency ladders to escape a two story window. I guess fear from a fire could be a motivator to jump all the way down, but I prefer not to.

I'm not sure what size window you have in your bedroom, but I could measure ours and see if they match up? If memory serves me correctly, your bedroom configuration is different. Do I have that correct?

****So I just looked at the pics on the NW site and see that your bedroom window is a vertical style window, whereas ours is horrizontal like the living room style. Now I get what you mean. *******
              2005 Dodge Diesel 3500: 5.9L Cummins Turbo-Diesel, 3.73 4WD 4SPD SRW, quad cab, long bed, B&W Companion Hitch. Rebuilt tranny, PakBrake Exhaust Brake, PakBrake Airbags w/ Wireless remote fill.

2017 Arctic Fox 27 5L: 4-Point Leveling System, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 30amp surge protector, Slide-Toppers, 2" Receiver, TPMS TST 507, ARP Controller, Sailun G rated tires.

Comment

Perhaps Northwood would demo an actual escape through the bedroom window at next year's rally! That would be interesting and enlightening.
                *Ron & Deb Nielson
                2008 Silverado 2500HD CCLB SRW Duramax/Allison, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Bilstein 5100, Kennedy Custom Tuned ECM
                2009 Silver Fox AF29-5T SteadyFast Stabilizer System

Comment

Originally posted by Copper865 View Post
                  ...Thus allowing some skinny ninja to jump out and down to the ground...
                  If I awoke in the middle of the night with flames lapping at the back door of my pajama bottoms ---- I'd be out that that emergency window like a 'Flying Wallenda' doing a flying trapeze circus stunt !
                  Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

That same window was a challenge to childproof!!!-my 2 1/2 year old twin granddaughters seem to think it is cool to flip the levers and look out the window. That is scary as heck in case they fall out. I finally fixed the issue with a piece of dowell and zip ties linking the two levers together so they cannot be flipped. An adult can slip the zip ties off quickly without cutting them in case of emergency.
                    Working towards livin' the dream...
                    2018 Arctic fox 29-5T
                    Alberta Canada
                    Tow Truck-2019 3500HD Duramax Denali SRW Crew cab

Comment

Before this gets to far off topic I have started a thread to discuss usage of your emergency escape window.

https://www.nroa2003.com/forum/forum...ally-good-idea
                      Adam
                      2007 Dodge 2500 Megacab 5.9 3.73 4X4 4SPD auto
                      07 Arctic Fox 31W-BH 35' Hensley Hitch/Brake Smart Controller - Access site with Desktop win10 machine
                      07 AF31W Mod's
                      Previous trailer 03 Arctic Fox 29V

Comment

"Perhaps Northwood would demo an actual escape through the bedroom window at next year's rally! That would be interesting and enlightening". Heartily agreed and be sure the design engineers are the ones doing so!
                        Old, fat, ugly and armed
                        2017 Artic Fox 29-5T

Comment

Working...
                        X