Personal liability umbrella insurance policy for SD resident

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal liability umbrella insurance policy for SD resident

We recently became fulltime RVers again, domiciled in SD. Our problem is that our current personal liability umbrella insurance policy underwriter does not write policies for full timers resident in SD. Any suggestions or recommendations for companies that may do this for us?
    We went through Good Sam for all of our insurance needs, but they had no insurance vendors they knew of that wrote such policies for fulltiming SD RVers. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
    The Wrightís
    Ford F-250, AF 27-5L

Your not being able to get an umbrella policy using SD as state of domicile, while not good, passes on good info to others. I have no thoughts to pass on, but your situation could prove of help to others if there is a way to go. Hopefully someone on this forum can help. Best Wishes, Smokey
    Neil and Marilyn and Beamer (feline)
    2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax 6.6L 4x4 Double Cab LB, 5th Spring, Ride Rite Air Bags, Tires: 275/75R18 125/122 3640 lb rated, 40 gal Transfer Flow Aux Tank.

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L, Progressive EMS HW30C Surge Protector, TST 507 TPMS w/Color, Sailun Tires G rated, 2 Smart Tool 2000's, Titan Disk Brakes.

Of all the things I've lost. I miss my mind the most :-)

Comment

Full timers is a tough underwriting risk since they know it could be a stationary (RV sits on one spot each day) or travels to different places. The later is what underwriters have the toughest part with since they donít have a rating territory to base rates from. Many carriers now use zip codes for their rating basis. Iíve seen in cities a zip code border will see a different rate from an adject street, yet the vehicles are used in the same community.

For full time use there is only a few companies that write policies. Foremost Insurance is one, but Iíll warn you, comparing to a normal use RV, you may be shocked with premium. Depending on the state (not sure on SD) you should be able to get limits of $1 million. While it isnít the same as a personal umbrella, it will protect your RV and vehicle. If you hone real property you would then need to address the limits on it.
      Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4 B&W Companion

Comment

Try Progressive. The have a full range of insurance policies including full-time RV and umbrella. They may be able to write umbrella policies for full time RVers.

Also, try Geico. I don't know if they do full time RV insurance or umbrella insurance for full-timers, but I think there is a good chance they would write you an umbrella policy. Their umbrella insurance seems more "flexable" than other companies' umbrella insurance. Geico was the only insurance company that would provide us an umbrella policy at market rate because of the breeds of our dogs.

2017 Ford F-350 XLT SC LB 6.7L Diesel 4x2 SRW
        2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L w/slide-out toppers, 15K AC, bedroom fan vent w/remote/tstat/rain sensor, powered sliding stab jacks, 50 amp service, 2" receiver hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, LevelMatePRO, Ford trailer camera & trailer TPMS

Comment

We are SD residents and use USAA for our insurance needs, including the umbrella policy. In order to get the umbrella policy, we purchased renters insurance for the storage unit we have. For the full timers policy, they transferred us to Progressive. Make sure they transfer you. Some of the USAA reps didn't know what a full timers policy was and gave us wrong information.
          [ATTACH]n5819[/ATTACH]
          Tom & Paula
          2013 Fox Mtn 235RLS
          2016 Ram 2500 Bighorn Crew, 6.7 Cummins turbo diesel
          Anderson Ultimate Hitch, 3225

Comment

Thanks to all who passed on your wisdom and experience on my question concerning pl umbrella policy.
            eaglesinflight47

Comment

I wonder if someone at the Escapees or the Family Motor Coach Assn could point you to an insurer. They do a lot of leg work for full timers.

Escapees
              -------------------------------
              Phone: 888-757-2582
              Email: clubbusiness@escapees.com

FMCA
              -------------------------------
              (800) 543-3622
              Steve and Shelley. Minnesota
              2017 RAM 3500 LLH CC 4x4 LB DRW 6.7ctd Aisin 4.10 Air Level aka Shrek
              2018 AF 27-5L, HW50C ems, Maxxis Tires, TST 507, dual AC, tank heaters, Rear Camera, Toppers, 640w Solar, Victron MP 3000 Inverter, MPPT 150/85 solar charge controller, CCGX Color Monitor,BMV702 Battery Monitor
              , 440AH Lifeline AGM, aka Fiona

Comment

Working...
              X