2018 27-5L quality issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2018 27-5L quality issues

After reading posts here for quite some time, we bought our 27-5L right at a month ago. I expected poor quality, but not terrible quality. So far we are very happy we moved from our 2000 27-5 to the 2018 27-5. There have been a few stripped screws, and a minor issue with the bedroom door fit, and honestly, just minor finish details.

We expected issues, like I said. The issues that have come up are the same ones others are having, like the shower still leaks. That is a shower design issue, not an AF problem, but they could caulk them better to solve that. Stripped screws, I expected, they are mass producing these things, but honestly a little more attention would avoid them. There have been a few other things, but in all reality, they are very nit picky things. I do have to say that some of the things people get worked up about, could be fixed in the time it takes to complain about them, and I am NOT a carpenter.

Yes I understand that we (Arctic Fox buyers) paid more than other brands would cost, and should expect better finish quality, but the basic structure is a better design, the tank sizes are some of the best we have found, and most of the things installed in these are of pretty good quality, except the terrible tv antenna. The people that do the finish work really should be better trained. Things like the stripped screws, moldings not going the full length, and interior things installed crooked are frustrating, but mostly easily corrected.

We owned our previous Fox for 8 years and LOVED it. We have owned this 2018 for a month, and have spent 22 nights in it so far. We both actually really like the mattress, and we didn't expect to.

I am posting this mainly hoping that someone from Northwoods might actually read these reports and stop to think that maybe they should do a better job, like they used to. If the people that are loyal to them are complaining, maybe there are problems.
    Last edited by Jamey; 05-17-2018, 11:18 AM.
    2018 27-5L 4 point leveling, 30 amp,
    2000 F250
    2000 27-5L sold after 8 great years.

ok
    Last edited by Smokey; 05-15-2018, 07:29 PM.
    Neil and Marilyn and Beamer (feline)
    2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax 6.6L 4x4 Double Cab LB, 5th Spring, Ride Rite Air Bags, Tires: 275/75R18 125/122 3640 lb rated, 40 gal Transfer Flow Aux Tank.

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L, Progressive EMS HW30C Surge Protector, TST 507 TPMS w/Color, Sailun Tires G rated, 2 Smart Tool 2000's, Disk Brakes at 2018 Rally.

Comment

Jamey -

We had our first AF27-5L for about 15 years and loved it. We started to think about how long we were gonna RV and I thought if we can get another 15 years of service out of a new trailer, now might be the time to make our move.

We looked at several different brands and kept coming back to AF for many reasons but mostly because we knew the factory would take care of us for those inevitable problems that seem to be present in all RVs these days.

And I agree with some of the issues we have seen are just minor little nits. Some are big but all were addressed during the 1 year warranty.

So, here is what I tell everyone thinking of buying a new AF - they are not perfect but if you make an effort to use the trailer enough to discover the problems in the first year - Northwood and/or their vendors will take care of you.

I do have to say that I don't think the Shower Enclosure of America leak is a design flaw - I think NW just thinks they should caulk it like everyone has done from day 1, caulk from the inside - that turns out to be the wrong answer for this shower.

If you want the PDF on sealing the shower just let me know. It's actually easier to fix it yourself than drag you trailer back to the dealer.

Bill
      Bill, Mary, and Scottie
      2015 RAM 3500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin, SRW, B&W Companion OEM Hitch
      2017 AF 27-5L
      2009 Polaris RZR (the 2nd most fun thing you can do without actually laughing)
      http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/719790.png

Comment

For many who seek to find the best built RV that they can afford many arrive at Northwood due to the reputation that has long since faded. This is not just a problem with Northwood, but rather a problem with a generation that is embroiled in drugs, entitlement and lack of accountability. I find that as the years go by we tend to as a society accept a bit more each year. We have become accustom to it. What once was someone that took pride in their work is now just a paycheck at the end of each week. It seems like an atmosphere of how far can we push the envelope until someone pushes back.

I just received a unit that we waited for over 6 months. The quality of workmanship was a disappointment to say the least, yet far better then most. Yes, we have a fantastic dealership that is working for us, but are you really suppose to be grateful for a dealership that will fix a problem that should not have happen in the first place? A hole that is cut into a floor with an unknown tool and a plate that is slapped on that can't even cover it? My bathroom floor the reason it has a wrinkle in it is due to someone leaving the scraps under the flooring. The slide trim that is packed with puddy instead of investigating why? Yes, perception is one's reality and we all have our tolerance level of what is acceptable. For some, ones problems may seem petty, but for those of us in the trades, we tend to know that all it would have taken to do the job right the first time would have been a 3 dollar tool and would have cost less in the long run of fixing the item after the fact.

The sayings of "They don't build them like they use to" seems to be a common statement across the board, but we as a society have accepted this so it will continue. Our choice now is fix this ourself and move forward. I'm fortunate that my husband is in the trade and can fix most items however isn't it a shame that many have too?

TV: 2016 F250 4X4 3.55 SC, LB, LARIAT 6.7 DIESEL W/ARE Utility Cap and Airlift Ultimate Plus airbags with wireless compressor

AF Silver Edition 2018 32 A:
        Slide out toppers with Alumaguard, Alumaguard Main Awning, 24" TV Bedroom, 15K Low Profile air w/ducting, Fan vent Bathroom, Power Scissor Jacks, Slow Rise Night Shades, Holding Tank Heat Pads, Fireplace, 50 Amp Service, 2 Cross Stitch Swivel Rocker Recliners, Rear View Camera, Low Profile 2nd air, 2" Receiver

Comment

Originally posted by Jasper View Post
          For many who seek to find the best built RV that they can afford many arrive at Northwood due to the reputation that has long since faded. This is not just a problem with Northwood, but rather a problem with a generation that is embroiled in drugs, entitlement and lack of accountability. I find that as the years go by we tend to as a society accept a bit more each year. We have become accustom to it. What once was someone that took pride in their work is now just a paycheck at the end of each week. It seems like an atmosphere of how far can we push the envelope until someone pushes back.

I think you said it all - agree 1000%

Bill
          Bill, Mary, and Scottie
          2015 RAM 3500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin, SRW, B&W Companion OEM Hitch
          2017 AF 27-5L
          2009 Polaris RZR (the 2nd most fun thing you can do without actually laughing)
          http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/719790.png

Comment

How many more warning posts about quality would you have read before you would have heeded them? 10, 20, 50, 100? I agree with you about the state of this company and the condition of the industry in general, but you had many warnings and opportunities to walk away from this deal and you didn't and quite frankly these discussions are useless at a certain point, especially here. But it is the easiest place to vent and cheaper than a lawyer. Everyone who had warning, proceeded anyway and now complains has just fed the monster. Good luck with your trailer.
            George and Carrie
            2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 Powerstroke, BTS trans, DPTuner, Tru-kool 40k BTU cooler, TurboSmart waste-gate actuator,V and mod'd B code leaf springs, Prodigy P2 Controller, Blue Ox 1500lb hitch, 202k
            2007 AF 26Z-2, 507 TPMS, 225-75-16 E BFG Commercials LT's, 1 Yamaha EF2000is
            1998 21' SeaRay 210 Signature Series

Comment

Originally posted by Offspring View Post
              How many more warning posts about quality would you have read before you would have heeded them? 10, 20, 50, 100? I agree with you about the state of this company and the condition of the industry in general, but you had many warnings and opportunities to walk away from this deal and you didn't and quite frankly these discussions are useless at a certain point, especially here. But it is the easiest place to vent and cheaper than a lawyer. Everyone who had warning, proceeded anyway and now complains has just fed the monster. Good luck with your trailer.
              I think you miss understood the statement I made. It was an observation on my part but the sad thing is out of the hundreds that we have been in, searching for our rig Northwood is still better then almost all the ones we looked at. So if you want a rig the mind set needs to be "pick your poison" I'll fix my problems and enjoy my rig and for the most part Northwood will still be able to claim that thier rigs are superior. This is not to be confused with perfection or pass reputation but rather a new standard then that of the pass.
              TV: 2016 F250 4X4 3.55 SC, LB, LARIAT 6.7 DIESEL W/ARE Utility Cap and Airlift Ultimate Plus airbags with wireless compressor

AF Silver Edition 2018 32 A:
              Slide out toppers with Alumaguard, Alumaguard Main Awning, 24" TV Bedroom, 15K Low Profile air w/ducting, Fan vent Bathroom, Power Scissor Jacks, Slow Rise Night Shades, Holding Tank Heat Pads, Fireplace, 50 Amp Service, 2 Cross Stitch Swivel Rocker Recliners, Rear View Camera, Low Profile 2nd air, 2" Receiver

Comment

All I can say is when we were shopping for our 5th wheel I didn't know Northwood's reputation. I took my flashlight and crawled inside and out, pulled drawers out and looked behind them. I checked the frame and what I could see of the underside. What sold me on our 27-5L was the best quality for the price range. The floor pattern and storage, including tank sizes. Much of what I see that is disappointing is with the thought of how much better it could be at such a little bit of effort. A saber saw is not a tool of choice when I fit items in the Fox. Using a saber saw to cut an outlet hole is most likely not a decision make by the line employee. The screw guns used may or may not be the individual's choice as to the amount of torque used. From what I learned over the years in an industry setting, doing the job correctly the first time saves so much money and is safer than taking shortcuts. A clean work environment is a safer place to work. When management sets the work environment expectation the actual work will usually fall just below that goal. If adjustments are not made over time, the quality will continue to decline slowly and unnoticed until a failure puts everyone in an upset condition to reset the expectations. Focusing on a line employee is easy but following the line employees behavior can be better understood looking into the floor managers ability and the expectations put on that position.
                Peter and Fran
                2016 AF 27-5L
                , 50AMP, 4pt leveling, Thermal pane windows, 10 Cu Ft Refrigerator, 15K AC + bedroom AC, Onan 5.5 generator, Progressive Dynamics EMSHW50C, Slide Toppers, TST 507 flow through with repeater, Cadet digital AC heater, Dirt Devil CV1500 Central Vacuum, water filter system, 480 watt solar charger, 440 AH AGM battery bank, Magnum MS2012 2000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter/charger, TorkLift steps

2017 F-450 Super Duty, B&W Companion

Comment

All post on this thread need to stay on topic with helping the OP fix his current concerns himself or referrals to someone who can.
                  Adam
                  2007 Dodge 2500 Megacab 5.9 3.73 4X4 4SPD auto
                  07 Arctic Fox 31W-BH 35' Hensley Hitch/Brake Smart Controller - Access site with Desktop win10 machine
                  07 AF31W Mod's
                  Previous trailer 03 Arctic Fox 29V

Comment

off topic
                    2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax 6.6L 4x4 Double Cab LB, 5th Spring, Ride Rite Air Bags, Tires: 275/75R18 125/122 3640 lb rated, 40 gal Transfer Flow Aux Tank.

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L, Progressive EMS HW30C Surge Protector, TST 507 TPMS w/Color, Sailun Tires G rated, 2 Smart Tool 2000's, Disk Brakes at 2018 Rally.

Comment

As far as going back to the dealer for minor issues, they are over 500 miles away, so that isn't going to happen unless some major comes up. We looked things over pretty good before we took it. Like I said, the issues we have had are little nit picky things, more an annoyance than anything.

I do have a question about the bedroom door, the bottom of the bedroom door (from the hallway) rubs the door frame at the bottom before the latch closes. Does anyone have any ideas on the best way to adjust the hinges? The dealer made it work before we took it, but it also won't stay fully open either. It is just a hinge adjustment, but like I said, I am not a carpenter. I am thinking I should take the door off and reattach it, where everything lines up straight and true.
                      2018 27-5L 4 point leveling, 30 amp,
                      2000 F250
                      2000 27-5L sold after 8 great years.

Comment

Also remember you do not need to go to a Northwood dealer for warranty repair. Northwood quite often will authorize a non-northwood repair facility to do the needed work. You just need to call Northwood and get pre-approval first.
                        Adam
                        07 Arctic Fox 31W-BH 35' Hensley Hitch/Brake Smart Controller - Access site with Desktop win10 machine
                        07 AF31W Mod's

Comment

Some will bend the hinges to get the alignment they want. I prefer to use paper shims which is nothing more then a regular sheet of paper. Not being able to see how the door aligns within the jamb or if the door is plumb its hard to know what to suggest here but here is a video that might help you. Of course this video is not about trailer doors but the info still gives you some ideas.

Adam
                          07 AF31W Mod's

Comment

First, agree with Adam as I did take my new 27-5L to a local shop. NW approved first. On subject of door. being an old homebuilder I thought I could pass on an old homebuilder trick to fix door, but not in this case. All I can see doing is to mark where lower hinge is located on door and remove door. Carefully remove the amount of wood at hinge to be able to pull door away from opening side when reinstall. Just take your time to be careful and not make it look like a self fix-it! :-)

Comment

When the door on my old 29V was too tight I took it to a cabinet maker and had 1/16" shaved off the hinge side. That along with Adam's suggestion of thin shims might help.
                              2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
                              2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
                              2018 Arctic Fox 29L; Traded in
                              *2001 Arctic Fox 29V; Sold
                              South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

Working...
                              X