Rest axle question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rest axle question

We have ordered 27-5L-very excited! On the road today we saw this unit and noticed the wheels were
    ​​​"towed out " not good...axle problems? This was a new unit! What are your opnions?

2018 F350 SD CC 6.7 diesel King Ranch SRW, short bed ultimate package, Goodyear 275/70R A/T, 75 gal Transfer Flow tank in bed, 2” hitch, TPMS, 4x4, spray in bedliner.

(ordered) 2019 AF 27-5L, 50amp, old steps, 15k a/c, Honda 2200, 200amp solar w/inverter, B&W hitch, removed couch 2 recliners, 4pt leveling, 10cu refer.

If turning a corner / u-turn, trailer wheels will have obvious toe movement.

If it was that obvious on a straight road.... that's not normal & their tires won't last long.

We've had no issues with our alignment / axles.
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Not a common problem here. Who knows what that trailer has been subjected to. Overloaded? Off road?

Just do your due diligence when you inspect your trailer before completing the purchase.
      Tony
      2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Crew Cab LB DRW 6.7 Cummins/Aisin 4.10,
      Curt Q24, 2015 Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE,
      2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox,
      Four Cats and yes they travel with us.

Comment

Percentage wise, probably not many trailers come from the factory with noticeably bad alignment. Mine did. It cost $215 to repair the axle that was out of line and $75 to verify the other axle. Norhwood only reimbursed the $215. Personally, if I were buying a new trailer, I would make the sale conditional on passing an alignment check.
        *Ron & Deb Nielson
        2008 Silverado 2500HD CCLB SRW Duramax/Allison, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Bilstein 5100, Kennedy Custom Tuned ECM
        2009 Silver Fox AF29-5T SteadyFast Stabilizer System

Comment

Neither axle manufacturers or trailer manufacturers check or align trailer axles so it is possible that trailer axles are occasionally misaligned and owners will notice tire wear after a few thousand miles of towing. Curb strikes and other towing events can bend axles and cause misalignment.

Truck alignment facilities have the capability to check alignment and if not correct, bend the axle ends to correct alignment.
          Harvey Barlow
          USN Retired
          Crosby County, TX
          2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab & Chassis, Cummins ISB6.7 Aisin CM Flatbed BrakeSmart Transfer Flow 200k+ miles
          2011 Arctic Fox 26X LT245/75R16LRE tires Yamaha 2400

Comment

Originally posted by HBarlow View Post
            Neither axle manufacturers or trailer manufacturers check or align trailer axles so it is possible that trailer axles are occasionally misaligned and owners will notice tire wear after a few thousand miles of towing. Curb strikes and other towing events can bend axles and cause misalignment.

Truck alignment facilities have the capability to check alignment and if not correct, bend the axle ends to correct alignment.
            Based upon purely limited and anecdotal data (my local LS) I would say that there is a possibility that the majority of owners never even care to look. (I mean, why would they. Think about what we are willing to accept, as prestigious owners of a highly rated product (and having the Genuine Northwood Clock and Floor Mat as testimony thereof) as "quality".)

When I told them that I wanted my 5's tires/wheels road force balanced, they asked "road force balanced?"

I said "yes, why is there an issue with that?"

They said, "no, it is just that we have never had a someone with a trailer RV want that done".

HH6 just reminded me that an essential paradigm applies when examining the "why don't owners know" issue. "Ignorance can be remedied; stupid goes to the bone." (Dunning-–Kruger effect.)

Sort of like General Patton's admonition: "A leader can be excused for losing a battle; he cannot be forgiven for being surprised."

Comment

I never got the clock or the floor mat. But so far have not had axle issues in 5 seasons of camping. Fair trade off I guess. Did have axle problems with our prior SOB TT. Lippert 4400# axles. Roughly $200 to align both. sometimes it's hard to tell just by looking at the tires together. They distort somewhat when parked depending on how they're left after backing in. Tread wear is the only true indicator to me.
              2012 Ram 2500 CTD
              2013 Fox Mountain 235 RLS

Comment

Working...
              X