Jumping into Full-timing!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jumping into Full-timing!

Hi everyone, I've had my AF for a few months now, but I've just started really using it. I took it from Utah to Missouri and back over Christmas. The trip there was uneventful, but the trip back was fraught with learning opportunities, and a near disaster with 60 mph winds with black ice on I-80 in Wyoming! I learned that if I don't want the water lines to freeze on the road, I have to run the furnace! Duh! (And still the farthest water line freezes anyway)
    So I have arrived at my new town, Idaho Falls, and begin a new job soon. I will be living in my AF 25R through the winter and beyond. What forum should I go to to discuss insulation modifications and other cold-weather related subjects? It's going to be good to have you all to talk to throughout this adventure!
    Debbie, Australian Shepherd Cosmo, Maine Coon cat Thunder
    2009 Arctic Fox 25R
    2004 F450 DRW, Bullet-proofed 6.0L, 4" exhaust, Bradford aluminum bed, 4:30 Final drive ratio. Plain ol' heavy duty hitch.
    2006 Sundowner 3 horse Living Quarters gooseneck
    Yes, I'm a Girl My Lord in a flatbed Ford.

Congrats on making it to your destination safely. The great thing about having a home on wheels is that you don't have to travel and deal with wind and black ice! Just park it. When living in the rv in cold weather we found that a full water tank is a must. Heated freshwater hoses help and keeping the black and grey water lines closed avoids sewer line freeze up. Dump on warmer days. When it is really cold we open up the interior cabinet doors where there are water lines exposed to let heat in. We run a electric heater all the time, have a heater when needed and run the coach heater for the tanks some every day. Keep plenty of propane on hand. Some folks get a larger tank and use a adapter to plumb into the system. I have seen several post on the FB page "Arctic Fox Owners Group" the show different types of insulation installed as skirting. I am sure you will get plenty of idea's from this group and other. Good Luck with your endeavors!
    2003 Arctic Fox 30u with too many extra's and changes to mention. 2012 Ram 3500, Snug Top Camper

Comment

Thanks ramduk! I found the FB group and sent a join request.
      I am so ashamed to admit it, but I made a big mistake. When I winterized last October, I drained tanks, but forgot to close the valves. So when I started using the tanks, the waste went all the way to the end of the drain pipe and the cap sealed it. Then it froze. I found this out when I tried to dump. So here I am with full tanks I cannot dump, and it's -9°. I have a heat gun, so I'll try brandishing that when it gets up to 7°. At least it's warm inside!
      2009 Arctic Fox 25R
      2004 F450 DRW, Bullet-proofed 6.0L, 4" exhaust, Bradford aluminum bed, 4:30 Final drive ratio. Plain ol' heavy duty hitch.

Comment

Get a 5 gallon bucket ready and get ready to close the valve quickly....
        2017 Wolf Creek 850
        BoondockersWelcome Host

Comment

I'll let y'all know how it all comes out, lol
          2009 Arctic Fox 25R

Comment

Originally posted by LabRat View Post
            I'll let y'all know how it all comes out, lol
            Be sure to make a small investment in this life saver too...

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-Sewer/Va...EaAm-3EALw_wcB
            2015 AF 27-5L, 2016 F-250 Super Cab, 6.7 Diesel, SB, 4x4, Off Road and 10,000lb Payload Package,

Comment

Good luck getting the dump pipes thawed out. Do you have tank heaters? They are helpful in keeping tanks thawed and the fresh water hose thawed beside the fresh water tank. There are a few places you can add insulation. We have added insulation behind the front cap by removing the headboard over the bed. Four screws and the headboard can be pulled out.
              I added closed cell styrofoam insulation to the tank cavities because our fiberglass insulation was soaking wet. I also put 2” styrofoam under the center of the trailer between the frame braces. Here is a link to that. https://www.nroa2003.com/forum/forum/message-board/modifications/269049-25y-holding-tank-insulation.
              skirting of some sort would be very helpful to keep air from circulating under the trailer.
              Run the furnace more than a electric heater at the temperatures you are experiencing. The furnace pushes hot air through openings to the tank cavities.
              I found a few screws broken on window trim. After removing the inside window trim to replace the screws I found a 1/2 inch gap between the window and the trailer wall. I will add some insulation there.
              You can get square pillows to put up in the vent fan openings.
              Then you will have to manage the humidity level in the trailer.
              Hope all goes well or a little better than thawing pipes at -9.
              Steve
              Steve & Brenda and Our Cocker Spaniel Bella
              2017 RAM Diesel Laramie 4x4
              2017 Arctic Fox 25Y, Hensley Arrow

Comment

Chuck, thanks for the tip for the auxiliary tank valve! And thanks Steve! I read your post on your belly pans, I sure would like to have that done. I could do it myself if I had a nice warm shop! How did you come up with the specifications for the belly pans to give to the fabricator?
                2009 Arctic Fox 25R

Comment

I don't think i have tank heaters, unless they come standard on the 2009 25R...
                  2009 Arctic Fox 25R

Comment

I wanted to be able to add 2” styrofoam below the tanks so the belly pans needed to be 2” deep. There are metal pieces welded to the frame to attach the coroplast. Used those to attach the belly pans and took many measurements. The tanks are close to being even with the bottom of the frame so any fiberglass is compressed negating the insulating value.

Comment

That modification sound like it would be at the top of my ever-lengthening list.
                      2009 Arctic Fox 25R

Comment

To me insulating will help winter or summer.

Comment

Originally posted by LabRat View Post
                          I don't think i have tank heaters, unless they come standard on the 2009 25R...
                          The heating pads are an option on the Northwood products, however, the cabin heater ducts run by the tanks and provide some degree of heating to the tanks if the heater is on all the time.
                          2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L - 4 point leveling - Onan QG 3600 Genset - 160w Solar - Rear view camera - 4x 6v batteries - Vertamax 3Kw PSW Inverter - RVLock V4 - 4x HossPads RV jack pads - Andersen Levelers - Cacagoo TPMS - more to come - 2002 F-250 Crew Cab Long Bed 7.3L - S&B Cold Air Intake - 4" Bassani X-haust turbo-back system - Air Lift 5k rear bags - SCT tuner - 16k Valley Power Pull hitch - Custom made bed-forward rack with Eide Boat Loader - Klamath 14S Deluxe fishing boat

Comment

LOL, I lived for about 10 months in that area, actually at Arco just to the west. All paid vacation thanks to the Navy which had a base there at the time. Its was a colder time, in fact Time magazine was predicting an ice age. It got down to 41 below one night without wind chill. My car battery froze, something I never even considered. Short drives will leave it partly charged and susceptible to freezing. My roommates Bronco 4WD froze to the dirt drive and we had to chip the tires out with hammers...LOL. We hit black ice on an expedition to Sun Valley another first for me.

But we had a great time in the area in fact my roomie moved back out there to work at the test site after he was discharged. He still lives at Arco.

You'll have great access to YNP and Tetons, Craters of the Moon, Mt Borah and the Sawtooths out near McCall. There are lots of 4WD back roads to explore and great fishing tho being poor fishermen we never caught a thing.
                            James and Cindy Krämer
                            North Florida
                            Arctic Fox 25Y
                            2012 Ford F350 6.7L

Comment

Originally posted by D_S_27-5L View Post

The heating pads are an option on the Northwood products, however, the cabin heater ducts run by the tanks and provide some degree of heating to the tanks if the heater is on all the time.
                              How would I know if mine has them, are there switches?
                              2009 Arctic Fox 25R

Comment

Working...
                              X