Planning Jasper AB trip for Fall 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planning Jasper AB trip for Fall 2022

My wife has been wanting to plan a trip to Jasper and Lake Louise for quite some time now. I was inspired by the stunning videos posted by AlbertaRVers.

I'm looking for RV parks or campgrounds and routes suitable for my 29.5K rig. All first hand suggestions will be deeply appreciated.

Doyle, Deborah, & Lizzie

2016 Chevrolet
    4x4 3500 WT Duramax DRW crewcab
    2014 Arctic Fox 29.5K
    B&W RVK3500 Companion hitch

Originally posted by obie311 View Post
    My wife has been wanting to plan a trip to Jasper and Lake Louise for quite some time now. I was inspired by the stunning videos posted by AlbertaRVers.

I'm looking for RV parks or campgrounds and routes suitable for my 29.5K rig. All first hand suggestions will be deeply appreciated.
    Not my pics, I only commented on them. We do live nearby though and depending on your route and where you are going I might be able to give advice on stops along the way. Our National parks website is pretty accurate if you properly indicate the size of your rig when you attempt booking. So are our provincial campgrounds. You have a pretty big unit but should have lots of options.

Just be aware that like most places, camping here has gone insane the last couple of years. If you are not booking the very first day possible for the dates you want to arrive you might have a hard time.

Once you know your route and timeline let me know if you need suggestions.

Brian.
    Brian & Christi
    Calgary, Alberta, Canada

2016 Arctic Fox 24J

2019 Ford F350 Lariat 6.7l PowerStroke Diesel Crew Cab Short Box 4X4

Comment

X2 - Looking at heading up in Sept 2022, looks like a wonderful place to visit.
      2016 Ram 3500 Longhorn: 4X4, Crew Cab, LB, DRW, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin, 3.73, Auto Level Rear Air Suspension, Reese 20k Elite Hitch, Amp Bedstep 2, Aero 70 Gal Underbed Fuel Tank
      2016 AF 27-5L: 10 Cu Ft Fridge, Thomas Payne Sofa w/air Mattress,15K AC, 2" Receiver, Victron Multiplus 3000 inverter with CCGX Color Control panel, BMV 712 Battery Monitor and Smart Solar MPPT 100|50 controller with 610W of Solar

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaRVers View Post

Just be aware that like most places, camping here has gone insane the last couple of years. If you are not booking the very first day possible for the dates you want to arrive you might have a hard time.

Brian.
        Most National and Provincial parks do hold some spaces for "drive-ins"...at least they were doing so the last time we tried. If you're in Banff-Jasper-Yoho parks the ONLY way to reserve is on the Parks Canada website. You'll also need to purchase a parks pass. Don't miss Kananaskis in Alberta (several parks) and there are also a number of very lovely - and some reasonably remote - parks in British Columbia that are well-worth visiting on your way up or back, depending on timing and routes. There are a few of us Canadians here who can advise.

There is also a pretty interesting app called "Ultimate Canadian Public Campgrounds" (iOS). We have found it to be fantastic for Municipal and Forestry Service CGs and other somewhat out-of-the-way locations not located in National or Provincial parks. There are loads of those. The same developer also has quite a few other useful applications.

2015 AF 25W
        2015 Ford F350, 6.7l diesel
        Blue Ox SwayPro (1,500 lb)
        along with Wendy and Dobby, the Labradoodle house elf.

Comment

On Icefields Pkwy almost no parking for big rigs, all turns equipped with a sign "no more than 25'"

We parked on Whistlers Campground near Jasper and spent three days: one - reviewing the Pkwy to Lake Louise, one to Jasper neighbourhood, and one more for the Tram and shopping/restaurants.

Visit a Greek restaurant in Jasper: they have a wonderful Prime Rib Fri and Sat.
          Whistlers Campground - a great one; it is a Provincial park but with full hookups.

We used some footage from our Oct 2021 trip there to make a music video - the song is in Russian, about Autumn. My DW sings.

https://youtu.be/VXrXs6E2nlY

Also, I'll add some more videos to my previous post
          2020 25W -> 2019 Tundra 1794

Comment

Beautiful video, beautiful wife, beautiful song! Thanks for sharing this with us, Peter.
            Linda & Dave (retired US Army) and Magic, the Yellow Lab Duck Dog
            2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i, Les Schwab 105 6-volt batteries, Maxxis Tires, Torque Lift Steps
            2017 RAM 2500 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4, CTD, 8' Bed, Granite Crystal, new 7/1/17
            2018 Prius IV, new December 2018

Comment

Originally posted by rural_canuck View Post

Most National and Provincial parks do hold some spaces for "drive-ins"...at least they were doing so the last time we tried. If you're in Banff-Jasper-Yoho parks the ONLY way to reserve is on the Parks Canada website. You'll also need to purchase a parks pass. Don't miss Kananaskis in Alberta (several parks) and there are also a number of very lovely - and some reasonably remote - parks in British Columbia that are well-worth visiting on your way up or back, depending on timing and routes. There are a few of us Canadians here who can advise.

There is also a pretty interesting app called "Ultimate Canadian Public Campgrounds" (iOS). We have found it to be fantastic for Municipal and Forestry Service CGs and other somewhat out-of-the-way locations not located in National or Provincial parks. There are loads of those. The same developer also has quite a few other useful applications.
              That's a great app! I hadn't heard of it before, thanks for pointing it out.

Brian.
              Brian & Christi
              Calgary, Alberta, Canada

2016 Arctic Fox 24J

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaRVers View Post

Once you know your route and timeline let me know if you need suggestions.

Brian.
                I vaguely recall seeing RVs parked in rest areas between Banff and Jasper with their slide outs out and disconnected from the tow vehicles. That was back sometime around 10-20 years ago. Has that changed? Also how far in advance can you book? Here in the US we have to book 180 days outs for most areas.
                Retired Air Force
                2019 Ford SuperDuty with 6.2 gas, HD spring package
                2022 AF28F, 500 watts solar. 230 amp-hr 6v batteries
                Equal-i-zer WDH

Comment

Originally posted by USAFA69 View Post

I vaguely recall seeing RVs parked in rest areas between Banff and Jasper with their slide outs out and disconnected from the tow vehicles. That was back sometime around 10-20 years ago. Has that changed? Also how far in advance can you book? Here in the US we have to book 180 days outs for most areas.
                  Federal campgrounds have longer windows. Reservations generally start in January on different dates for different regions. And it can change a bit year to year so best to check:

https://reservation.pc.gc.ca/ChooseLanguage.aspx

Alberta provincial sites are generally a 90 rolling booking window and that site opens in the spring according to that window. It is here:

https://reserve.albertaparks.ca/

Alberta site will cover most of the campgrounds in the Kananaskis Valley which in my opinion, are some of the best RV campgrounds around.

Also in that region is the sort-of private campground Mt Kidd that is very big rig friendly and has spectacular views. It also books on a 90 day window, but, is very popular and books full very early - you have to be on your game to get a site there. I have found by calling the desk you can often have better luck than the website. You can find it here:

https://reserve.mountkiddrv.com/guided-reserve

For any other specifics feel free to ask!

Brian.
                  Brian & Christi
                  Calgary, Alberta, Canada

2016 Arctic Fox 24J

Comment

OK so this post makes me want to go back. We went in July 2019 which is not a good month to go because of crowds. In Banff we stayed at Two Jacks which was dry camping and we loved it, Lake Louise we stayed at Hardsided Campground which had water and electricity. You can go on https://www.campgroundreviews.com/
                    and get reviews on all the campgrounds. I did our trip by picking up cancellations which is a lot of work. To do again I would just stay in Banff and drive to Lake Louise, taking Hwy 1A which is nice drive and you see more wildlife. When we went, you had to get up to Lake Louise at 6am to get a parking spot or drive back to hwy 1 to an area to take the shuttle bus up which it was nuts. Took the wife to both the Chateau Lake Louis and the Fairmont in Banff for High Tea.Boy did I rack up the points. Took the Lake Louise Gondola and saw a Grizzly with Cubs right underneath as we went up. In Jasper we drove up to Edith Cavell Glacier and had a wonderful hike. What a great area it is, also Maligne Canyon is a must see just to much to list. One other thing while camping in Banff you get free firewood.
                    Attached Files
                    2021 25R 2017 GMC 2500 6L Gas

Comment

I forgot to mention that there is an app with Icefield Pkwy tour - about $6; it uses GPS in the phone and works like a guide. We've found it on Tripadvisor.
                      2020 25W -> 2019 Tundra 1794

Comment

Brian, thanks for the info and links to reservation sites. Still have a question about boondocking. Here in Colorado we are allowed to camp anywhere in the National Forests with few exceptions as long as you get far enough off any roads. Is there anything similar in Alberta or BC?
                        Retired Air Force
                        2019 Ford SuperDuty with 6.2 gas, HD spring package
                        2022 AF28F, 500 watts solar. 230 amp-hr 6v batteries
                        Equal-i-zer WDH

Comment

Before you make reservations, you might want to carefully read & understand the current Covid restrictions and requirements of entering Canada from the USA, and reentering the USA from Canada --- including the required PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction) test and limited testing locations.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/tr...s/wizard-start

Currently the required Canada Entry PCR test is +/- $159.00 per person.
                          Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Originally posted by USAFA69 View Post
                            Brian, thanks for the info and links to reservation sites. Still have a question about boondocking. Here in Colorado we are allowed to camp anywhere in the National Forests with few exceptions as long as you get far enough off any roads. Is there anything similar in Alberta or BC?
                            Similar options are limited here, you need to google 'PLUZ' lands in Alberta - Public Land Use Zones - they aren't going to be co-located to the Federal or Provincial areas you are interested in. But they do exist.

We tend to avoid them as they can be a bit of a wild west show at times, attracting the crowd who wants to ATV and dirt bike and fire off guns. I suppose you guys have similar concerns about your relative areas? Anyway at my age they're not for me - not worth having to bite my tongue the whole time I'm there when I would really rather share my opinions! My 60 year old body can no longer back up my 25 year old inner tough guy!

I am not as familiar with such areas in BC though but I know they exist.

When you talk about boondocking note: most of our provincial campgrounds are dry camping with no power, water or sewer hookups. Federal and private ones tend to have some or all conveniences. 98% of the weekend / vacation camping we do is dry camping as a result.

Brian.
                            Brian & Christi
                            Calgary, Alberta, Canada

2016 Arctic Fox 24J

Comment

Working...
                            X