Nova Scotia in Fall 2022 - Ideas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nova Scotia in Fall 2022 - Ideas?

Donna & I are starting to plan for excursions next year, and looking at a cross-country trip to Maine / New Brunswick / Nova Scotia in the fall (September - October) of 2022, in the Arctic Fox.

Any ideas, must-see locations or favorite stops / attractions would be welcome. Also any areas that would be an issue with a 5th wheel trailer.

Thanks folks.....

Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

If it's at all on your route, plan a stop at Niagara Falls. We were told it's best from the Canadian side so we stayed at a place nearby on the Canadian side. It was the Niagara Falls KOA (Canada). On Lundy's lane.
    2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali 4x4 Diesel
    2017 Arctic Fox 22G.

Comment

Well there is a session at the Escapade, Monday I think, on travel to that area. There are also all sorts of YT videos on it by RVers who have been up there. We may do it after next years Escapade which is near Nashville in June.
      James and Cindy Kramer
      Arctic Fox 25Y 2016-2012 Ford F350 4WD
      Fulltime starting summer 2020

Comment

I'm going there in Jun, 2022 and looking at options. Snow birds have said to be sure to see the Bay of Fundy tide and to check out the chowder houses in Nova Scotia. Peggy's Cove, Lawrenceburg(?) and Halifax were recommended Nova Scotia cities to visit. Newfoundland recommendations were St. John and St. Anthony as well as the Viking settlement. I was warned that the ferry charges by the foot, so 30-39' is $199.00 and 40-49' is $359.00 (2021 fares).
        2021 AF32-5m, 50 AMP, 5.5 Onan, 6 p auto level, Tire Tracker, bike rack, rear mount camera, 2nd 13.5k A/C, Slide Toppers, Fireplace, power reel, basement slide, Progressive hanging on pedestal
        2020 Ram Long Horn LB diesel dually,60 gal aux, Curt 20K hitch

Comment

We have a planned cross country trip this Sept/Oct as far as Bar Harbor ME. Planning some time in the Hudson Valley on the way up to Maine then back down to MA for the Boston Marathon (Leslie is the runner, Kurt & Cooper are the support crew) and down to Mystic CT before heading back to AZ. I ordered some new US Passport Cards back in April just in case we decide to cross the border. No new cards yet, but hopefully before September. I have some family up in New Brunswick I would like to visit, last time I was up there I was about 12 in '73. But I don't think I will get over the border this time, just wishful thinking - maybe next time.

Our route from AZ will be across I-40 to Oklahoma City then cutting up through Missouri through St. Louis, Indianapolis and Columbus. Then 71 up to 80 across Northern PA and into the Hudson River Valley. We are staying in Rhinebeck NY (interlakervpark.com) famous for the Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome. Lots of cool stuff in that area including FDR's home. Then a stop in Kennebunk ME (sea-vuwest.com) for a couple of nights and some lobster at (capepierchowderhouse.com). In Bar Harbor we have site reservations at hadleyspoint.com for a few days checking out Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park. Then its down to MA for the 2021 Boston Marathon. My wife Leslie will be running her second Boston Marathon, the last one was 2019. We stay in Foxborough MA at normandyfarms.com. After a week in MA we will drop down to the small historic seaport town of Mystic CT before heading back to AZ. I'm planning on heading back the same route through Northern PA but I do have an alternate southern route planned dropping down and catching I-40 in Knoxville TN in case the weather re-routes us. In 2019 I pulled our 27-5L back to MA on the Northern Route I described above and home westbound on that Southern Route. I think I prefer the Northern Route.
          Kurt, Leslie and Cooper
          Flagstaff, AZ
          2018 27-5L
          2018 RAM 2500 6.7L

Comment

One of, maybe the best eastern destinations we have ever been to is the Gaspe' Peninsula. It's up where the St. Lawrence meets the Atlantic Ocean. Beautiful area, can see whales from many of the roads and we actually watched them from one of our campsites. It was not "touristy" or crowded when we went a few years back around the 4th of July Holiday. We are actually thinking of heading up that way later this year if the border opens soon enough. I doubt you would be disappointed.
            2016 Arctic Fox 32-5M, 1,150 watt Solar Panels (5 @ 170, 2 @ 150), 2 Life Blue 200 Amp hr lithium batteries, Victron Blue Solar MPPT 150/85 Controller, MS2812 Magnum Pure Sine Inverter/Charger, 5.5 Onan LP Gen, 6pt leveling system, 2nd 13.5k A/C, Slide Toppers, Fireplace, King Bed, Central Vac. Hardwired Surge Guard Model 34560, rear view camera, clear entry door window,

2016 Ford F-450 Lariat. B&W Companion Hitch. Remax Bed Roll Cover, Bed Carpet.

Winter in Florida, traveling other seasons.

Comment

My wife and I went to Nova Scotia in 2004 in our AF 22G. It was an absolutely fabulous trip. Because we went so long ago I'll offer just one observation. We were there on Labor Day and the campgrounds mostly closed for the season on that weekend. It may be different now. Again, it was a long time ago but we found the Evangline Trail to be in a terrible state of disrepair. The maritime museum in Lunenburg was fantastic!

But do it!!

Friendly Bob
              Bob and Nancy
              ======
              Proud former owners of a 2011 Arctic Fox 25R (2010-2013) and an Arctic Fox 22G from (2001-2010). Current happy owners of Northwood cross-town cousin.
              ---------
              2010 Dodge 3500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB, Cummins, 4X4, Snugtop, 1,200#/12,000# Equal-i-zer.
              Retired: "Twice the husband, half the money"

Comment

What fantastic ideas and tips everyone....

Our plan is to go up the Boston / Bangor coast, into New Brunswick for several days, into Nova Scotia for a week, then onto Prince Edward Island for several days and back into the USA. We've found the RV parks close around the first week of October on Prince Edward.
                Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Sounds like a great trip, can’t wait to be in your suitcase (sort of speaking) following your blog.
                  Rolland & Judie, 1 Sheltie, Brinkley

2013 GMC Yukon Denali, 6.2 liter, no mods

2021 19 Other Brand Travel Trailer

Comment

Originally posted by RocklinDave View Post

We've found the RV parks close around the first week of October on Prince Edward.
                    In our experience many (most?) RV parks and campgrounds start closing end of Sept into October along the northern tier of states. Plan accordingly.

2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali 4x4 Diesel
                    2017 Arctic Fox 22G.

Comment

Originally posted by RocklinDave View Post

Our plan is to go up the Boston / Bangor coast, into New Brunswick for several days, into Nova Scotia for a week, then onto Prince Edward Island for several days and back into the USA. We've found the RV parks close around the first week of October on Prince Edward.
                      Since you plan to be in the area, we loved our visit to Campobello Island and FDR's home. A terrific, in person, history lesson.

Bob
                      Bob and Nancy
                      ======
                      Proud former owners of a 2011 Arctic Fox 25R (2010-2013) and an Arctic Fox 22G from (2001-2010). Current happy owners of Northwood cross-town cousin.
                      ---------
                      2010 Dodge 3500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB, Cummins, 4X4, Snugtop, 1,200#/12,000# Equal-i-zer.
                      Retired: "Twice the husband, half the money"

Comment

Dave…the one thing you DO NOT WANT TO MISS is the annual Celtic Colours Festival in October on Cape Breton. Spectacular Fall colors like you’ve never seen, festivals all over in everything from concert halls to local pubs and with the best Celtic musicians and dancers anywhere. You’ll be treated like one of their own with invitations to small town dinners and plays and of course, the music. It’s everywhere. The culture and history is incredible. There’s not enough space here to tell you how awesome it is…but, check out this web site. And PM me with questions and/or for our itinerary that we followed four years ago. I’m telling’ ya it is fabulous! It’ll be online again this year, so you can check it out from home for your trip there next year. https://celtic-colours.com/
                        2015 AF 27-5L, 2016 F-250 Super Cab, 6.7 Diesel, SB, 4x4, Off Road and 10,000lb Payload Package,

Comment

From my snowbird bud in Ottawa: "You’ve got a great route picked out, but your best bet in my opinion is to leave the trailer in North Sydney and take the ferry to NFLD where you will have so much more freedom to explore and the wear and tear on the trailer is eliminated. NFLD is not your superhighway destination. Your truck will be perfect to take full advantage of the sights in NFLD without worrying about trailer repairs or broken tires or axels. The roads in the rest of the Maritimes are excellent so no worries there. You will enjoy the B&Bs in NFLD. Great people and you might learn another language. Ha."
                          2021 AF32-5m, 50 AMP, 5.5 Onan, 6 p auto level, Tire Tracker, bike rack, rear mount camera, 2nd 13.5k A/C, Slide Toppers, Fireplace, power reel, basement slide, Progressive hanging on pedestal
                          2020 Ram Long Horn LB diesel dually,60 gal aux, Curt 20K hitch

Comment

We only see the falls from the Canadian side but considering the view it is the best.

As MCordy said Campobello Island is a must see, it is a short drive drive across a bridge from Lubec, Maine, to the island (take your passport as the island is I Canada but the park is an international park. We stayed in a Maine State Park just east of Lubec that was very nice, it’s dry camping. I wasn’t impressed with the RV park in Lubec.

I also suggest the Schoodic Pennsula section of Acadia National Park. Beautiful section of the park remote from the Bar Harbor crowd, and the nicest RV campground I’ve seen in a National Park.
                            Jerry, Kathie, &
                            Bo, one giant Lab
                            2019 AF27-5
                            2017 Nash 24M (Sold)
                            2016 F250, 4X4, 6.7L
                            Added 2 leaf springs each side
                            50 gal Titan Fuel Tank
                            Pressure Pro TPMS
                            blog: 7rwanderers.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                            X