Taking dog food into Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taking dog food into Canada

My wife and I are leaving for Alaska within the next couple weeks and we're taking our dog. We took him into Canada last year but only for a day. This time will be different. I have read on a Canada website that you can't bring dog food into Canada that has been opened. Has anyone had any trouble with this or encountered it?
    Gerry & Martha, plus Buster(Welsh Pembrooke Corgi)
    2017 FM 235RLS, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C surge protector, tubular locks on all storage doors
    2010 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab Diesel w/Anderson Aluminum Ultimate 5th wheel hitch

Googling the subject, it appears there may be a limit on quantity. My thought was if you don't bring in much more than a 40 lb bag or so of dry food, no problem. Maybe not have open cans of dog food? But, I saw no definite info on Internet.

Comment

You want to avoid any red flags at the border. Individual border agents do have a lot of discretion. I would bring a sealed bag clearly marked with ingredients AND that it is US made. Bring enough food in an open bag to get to the border and they will possibly allow that in, but no big loss if they don't. You'll face a similar dilemma crossing from Yukon into AK and deja vu on the return trip. If you have to buy dog food in Canada, try to get the same brand US made as well. Nobody working the border likes off shore dog food. I believe lamb and goat are the big problem ingredients.
      Henry
      2014 Arctic Fox 22G
      2015 Silverado 1500 NHT, Blue Ox Sway Pro(2014); Equal-i-zer(2006-14)

Comment

Just crossed yesterday and they asked about dog food and I said I had some, but that was it. The other agents did a sweep of my trailer and vehicle. They never mentioned the dog food. That was it, I was off.
        2015 Toyota Tundra
        2016 Nash 17k

Comment

http://www.inspection.gc.ca/animals/.../1321129556426

Comment

As it turns out the dog food we feed our dog is made in the US and has been for about 6 months. The parent company, Orijen, doesn't export from Canada to the US anymore. So, we'll buy two small bags, one for going into Canada on our way to Alaska and one for the return trip.
            Gerry & Martha, plus Buster(Welsh Pembrooke Corgi)
            2017 FM 235RLS, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C surge protector, tubular locks on all storage doors
            2010 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab Diesel w/Anderson Aluminum Ultimate 5th wheel hitch

Comment

We entered Canada two days ago (Sumas border crossing).

We were asked if we had any guns, alcohol, cigarettes and if we were delivering any packages (marijuana?) into Canada.

We were never asked about pets, dog food, flowers, fruit, etc.

The entire border stop lasted 3-4 minutes.
              Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

I crossed into Ontario yesterday at the Niagara Falls/Rainbow Bridge and was not asked about the dog food we carry. I declared the shotgun that I had been hauling since we left home in December, paid the $25.00 fee and left without a search or other problems.
                2016 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins Diesel, Automatic Four Wheel Drive Crew Cab
                2016 AF 25Y

Comment

Different crossings, different agents, different questions and concerns - quite a bit based on you, your setup, appearance, behavior etc. For the most part crossing in to Canada isn't a big deal - just go.

Comment

Working...
                  X