Montreal & Quebec City access and CG suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Montreal & Quebec City access and CG suggestions

Thinking of heading north (from Maryland) for a visit to Montreal and Quebec City in June and wondering if anybody has any experience with nearby campgrounds and tips for getting in and out of the cities. We're happy to use public transport where available to avoid driving our crew-cab, long-bed dually into central cities. 
    RK & Christina (Ark-n-Tina)
    Silver Spring, MD
    2006 AF32-5S Silver Fox Edition
    2002 Ford F350 DRW 7.3L Powerstroke

Following replies...Would like to make the Formula 1 Canadian Grand Prix in Montreal. Have attended in the past but not with 5th wheel. I go to quite a few F1 races and always camp but understand very hard to do near Montreal.

Mike
    Mike & Christine

2017 Arctic Fox 32-5M (Maiden Voyage 03 July 2017)

2017 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW Cummins/AISIN 4.10 Auto Level Suspension

Comment

The best bet for getting into both Montreal and Quebec City is a campground with a shuttle. Both cities have excellent transit with Montreal getting the nod with a subway. You can hit pretty much all the tourist spots in Montreal with the subway. We have camped at the KOA outside Quebec City, but have only done hotels in Montreal.

Use Good Sam or allstays.com--even better, get the Allstays app--to see exactly where the campgrounds around these cities are located.

You have 3 routes into Canada depending on how much US traffic you want to avoid. I would take I87 and look at the group of 3 campgrounds, including a KOA, right off Route 15. Route 15 will be a busy road and border crossing as it's the main connector into the US from Montreal. Pick a campground that has a shuttle into the Longueuil subway terminal or any other subway stop for that matter. Don't look at the campground in Longueuil as towing into Longueuil will be a nightmare and it's a tight campground.

Another good route into Canada is I81 to the 401 at Gananoque, ON. This is somewhat further, but less border traffic and 401 won't get busy until you get closer to Montreal. Take a 1000 Islands boat cruise out of Gananoque. Camp just outside Morrisburg pioneer village and then head around south of Montreal on Route 30 to get back to KOA etc.

At Quebec City, we have camped at the KOA and they do have a shuttle. Get dropped off at the entrance to the old town or the Chateau Frontenac and everything 16th-18th century is in easy walking distance. Don't take any food into Quebec City or Montreal either--the restaurants are numerous and exceptional. Check if the shuttle schedule allows time for dinner.

Since you're from MD, you're no doubt very familiar with the quirks of getting around big cities on water. Montreal proper is a sea port on an island. The city of Longueuil to the east is a decent sized city in its own right as is Laval to the west which is also on an island. All the perils of navigating a big city with tunnel and big bridge bottlenecks can be found in Montreal. You can avoid the worst of Montreal traffic by sticking to the southeast side and take Route 20 to Quebec City. Quebec City isn't quite as bad and it's much smaller although really strung out along the St. Lawrence R. The KOA is on the opposite bank of the river, but close to the only 2 bridges that cross the river. These are the last bridges as above Quebec City the river really widens out and actually becomes salt water.
      Henry
      2014 Arctic Fox 22G
      2015 Silverado 1500 NHT, Blue Ox Sway Pro(2014); Equal-i-zer(2006-14)

Comment

I would also make sure you have a dash cam ....
        2001 Freightliner FL60 Sport Chassis, 3126b, Pac-Brake, Air Cab, Brakes & Suspension, Ultra Shift, McCall 5th Hitch with Binkley Head
        2010 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5T (Silver Fox Edition)
        DW- Carol
        DD - '93
        DS- '95
        Faffy & Lulu, our Beagle co-pilots

"Ka ka ka ka haina mbaraka"

Comment

For Montreal, I would cross at Ogdensburg, N.Y. into Canada. The bridge is a straight run into a wide expanse customs/ immigration area, and a lot less busy than Ivy Lea at I-81. You could camp just east of the bridge, but it could be tight with your trailer.
          Heading east on 401, in Quebec take Hwy 30 towards Sorel/Tracy and stay at KOA South in Ste. Phillippe. It is just off the highway, through a small residential area. The sites will be large and pull through (30 or 50 amps). KOA West on Hwy 20 seems a lot tighter from the highway, but I haven't stayed there.
          We camped at a newish campground south of Quebec in Levis which was excellent last year. Will try to find more info tomorrow when I go to the rig.
          *ON 2007 RAM 2500QC, Cummins 5.9L Diesel, Auto, 4X4, 3.73, 2008 Arctic Fox 29V traded for SOB

Comment

For Levis (Quebec city), we stayed at Camping le Relache, 1355 boul. Guillaume-Couture, Levis, Qc. The campground was being renovated, and the western area was entirely smooth gravel. The sites were pull through in the centre area, smooth, level, and had a long concrete patio pad. 3 services, 30 and 50 amp. Their web site is out of date so disregard what looks like construction.
            Hwy 30, on the south shore, is a new road; lightly travelled, and keeps you away from Montreal proper. Under NO circumstances take your trailer into either Montreal or Quebec City.
            Montreal, being a cosmopolitan city, and Quebec, the capital and tourist area, will both be bilingual. Language will not be a problem in either city.
            Last weekend, gas prices were $1.07/ litre, diesel was $1.10. Multiply by 3.79 to get price per US gallon.
            We will be in Montreal August 21 to 28 as the grand daughter is getting married. If this fits your travel plans, we would like to meet up again (East Coast Rally, Virginia).
            Last edited by renard du nord; 04-24-2017, 05:16 AM. Reason: Edited for address change
            *ON 2007 RAM 2500QC, Cummins 5.9L Diesel, Auto, 4X4, 3.73, 2008 Arctic Fox 29V traded for SOB

Comment

Thanks all for the suggestions and ideas. We're currently in Quebec at Parc National du Bic, with vague plans of inching up the Gaspe on the North/West coast and back down the East/South side into NB. Interesting to note, there's another AF here at du Bic, a roughly 30 foot mid- to late-2000s travel trailer. 

For our route north out of MD, we took I-83 through PA and southern NY to I-88 over to I-87 just west of Lake Champlain and crossed the border there. It was a quiet weekday morning with no wait at the border...we spent more time getting questioned by US Customs leaving the US than by Immigration Canada in entering Canada. US Customs for some reason had a show of force of about 20 sneering, heavily armed agents milling around at the US Exit. Canada had a bilingual nerd alone in his booth. The only question he asked was how much cash we had with us.

In Montreal, we stayed at Camping Amerique Montreal in Candiac and used the free parking lots and $3 Express bus service into downtown Montreal in Brossard. Thanks to dedicated bus lanes, the bus had us across the river and walking the streets of Montreal in about 20 minutes, even during rush hour. 

For Quebec City, we stayed at Camping Transit in Levis. They offer a free shuttle to the Ferry at Levis, which is $7.20 round trip and drops you off at the port in the lower old town. A couple folks we met in Camping Amerique Montreal told us to stay at the KOA in QC, but at about 1/3rd the price, Camping Transit worked better for us. And they have the most spacious and clean bathhouses of any campground we've been in. One downside of Camping Transit is it sits adjacent to Autoroute 20 and depending on your campsite there's plenty of traffic noise.

We were cautioned about high fuel prices, but honestly, these warnings seem overblown to me. In PA and NY in early June, diesel was going for $2.79 to $2.99 per gallon. So far in Canada, after accounting for the CAN-USD exchange rate offered by my credit card, we've paid an average of $3.04 USD per gallon. And campground costs after the exchange have been averaging about $30 USD/night. All in all, we're finding Canada pretty affordable for US citizens right now.

Silver Spring, MD

Comment

Originally posted by renard du nord View Post
                We will be in Montreal August 21 to 28 as the grand daughter is getting married. If this fits your travel plans, we would like to meet up again (East Coast Rally, Virginia).
                Renard, thank you for the great tips! Thanks to the info you and others provided here, we successfully visited Montreal et Quebec, and are now along the Gaspé slowly headed north to Farillon National Park. From there we plan to drop into the North coast of Nouveau Brunswick, work our way down to Fundy NP and then in late August/early September cross into Maine. We would relish the opportunity to meet you guys again --- I speak glowingly about your grilled egg muffins to anybody who will listen --- but at least at the moment I don't think we will be swinging back towards Montreal during late August. I'll be sure to get in touch if any of this changes, though! We're *trying* to document our route on a map at www.arkntina.com. Our best!

Silver Spring, MD

Comment

Renard - thanks for this! We are in BC, planning to drive to the Maritimes and both Montreal and Quebec City are high on our list of places to stop at! I've only barely started researching as we will leave mid-August to try to catch the last drops of summer on our way there and the lovely fall colours on our way back. This is terrific information for us!!
                  2015 AF 25W
                  2015 Ford F350, 6.7l diesel
                  Blue Ox SwayPro (1,500 lb)
                  along with Wendy and Dobby, the Labradoodle house elf.

Comment

Ark-n-Tina,
                    You seem to be having a good time up here! Glad you enjoyed la belle province. Follow the East coast of New Brunswick south, you will find the Acadians, (close relatives of your Cajuns in Louisiana), fun loving, musical, and bilingual. You may notice they speak a different dialect of French (much older) than that of Quebec. Don't miss the town of St. Stephens-by-the Sea. I think it is a border crossing into Maine. Don't eat all the lobsters-- we'll be in Cape Breton, N.S. in August.
                    Rick.

Comment

Originally posted by rural_canuck View Post
                      planning to drive to the Maritimes
                      That actually is quite a large territory you are referring to

Book soon. We are finding that many rv parks are clogged with seasonals...but if you arrive here in September, you should be ok.

2001 Freightliner FL60 Sport Chassis, 3126b, Pac-Brake, Air Cab, Brakes & Suspension, Ultra Shift, McCall 5th Hitch with Binkley Head
                      DW- Carol
                      DD - '93
                      DS- '95

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post

That actually is quite a large territory you are referring to

Book soon. We are finding that many rv parks are clogged with seasonals...but if you arrive here in September, you should be ok.
                        Ah - thanks for the tip! We're thinking Ontario and Quebec in late August with PEI, NB, NS either right before or after Labour Day for a month plus. A visit to NL as well we hope!

We are really kind of behind in planning here - grandbaby, the situation in BC right now etc being the most pressing - so I'll get cracking on it this week. It's a heck of a lot of driving to get there, but how often does one get a chance to drive across this grand country of ours? We'll head back in mid-late October.

I have heard that a lot of parks close "early" (ie mid-Sept) in PEI, but haven't yet found too much about the other provinces. Any tips you might have would be much appreciated!

(I also have to find boondocking sites on the way and, hopefully, in the Maritimes - something we far prefer if possible. Solar is rigged up and ready to rock!)
                        2015 AF 25W

Comment

I think our (NS) parks are good to Oct 8th. You can book online. Let me revise my last comment. Since you are coming in the fall, after labour day, booking should be relatively easy however, we do have a strong fall tourist season. Weather should be pleasant as well.

If you are into spirits, we now have developed a world reputation for quality in the wine, beer, cider and distillery market.

Some places that you may be interested in, it will be better for you to leave the rig and just travel in your TV.

If you are looking into something specific, I can help if you need...

Oh, gas is regulated by region so there is no need to shop prices...and no, we are not using Canadian oil.

Ian
                          DW- Carol
                          DD - '93
                          DS- '95

Comment

I'll add a couple of comments here for future wanderers into La Belle Province....

Quebec City: we stayed at Camping Transit in Levis, just south of Quebec City. The ferry from Levis to Quebec is a bit of a pain to get to (the campsite has a shuttle service as well) but we just drove and parked at the ferry. Very convenient - 15 min to cross the river and one is right in Old Town. Doesn't get much better than that....other than driving to Old Town. We had no problem parking at the Farmer's Market just outside there - and a few other places besides; and that was with an F250 that is some 20' long. Don't try to drive at rush hour - you won't go anywhere. Campsite is OK - not great, not terrible, get a spot near the office to minimize traffic noise. Can't tell you about facilities because we don't use them. Manager speaks fine English and there is a very nearby dog boarding service (cheap too!).

Montreal: Camping Alouette in the prettily-named St Mathieu-de-Beloiel. 30 min to downtown or so (non-rush-hour). Downtown has tons of parking, but it's pricy and quite crowded. Campsite is VERY spotless and well-maintained, multi-level and quite interesting. English is no problem. There's an SAQ (Quebec liquor store) at the next exit 102 down the road that has a wine-and-spirit-lover's dream ensemble of product, particularly compared pricewise to other locations in Canada. Oh yes, there's a full rig washing spot on the grounds, too, complete with a portable stand to wash the roof from. Highly recommended, if a bit pricy.

And just because: if you're nearby to it, go to Kamouraska and park behind the big church if you have your rig with you (not on Sunday!). Very charming, picturesque and lovely little town with fantastic foods and shopping. Quaint and lovely.

It's surprising how much French I remember and can use from high school (only 50 years ago....).

2015 AF 25W

Comment

Can't speak to Montreal, but this last summer, we went to Quebec City returning from Newfoundland.
                              We stayed at Camping Transit mentioned above. I can't say enough of the wonderful people there
                              and the rv repair shop nearby. When pulling in, I found I had broken a bracket holding a leaf spring.
                              Yea, a real problem. talked to the manager, rv replair place, and was up in the air on how we could get
                              this welded in the campground. He said not to worry, turn off propane, go enjoy the city, we'll get it done.
                              When we returned from the city, all was good to go.
                              Now the trip. We had decided to spend a couple nights in the city so we reserved a room at the clarendon
                              right I the old city. We took the morning shuttle/ferry across, landing right in the old city. short walk to the
                              hotel, and we were there. two days later, took the ferry back, and the shuttle was right on time.
                              Others went just for the day, but this allowed us time to poke around a place we may never get back. The last
                              time here, 36 years ago, we were camping in a tent way outside and drove in. Its all I could do then,
                              but just wasn't enough.
                              good luck
                              Rick & Connie sigpic
                              2013 Arctic fox 25P, GMC sierra 2500 duramax
                              found a pic with the admiral.

Comment

Working...
                              X