Stealth Camping

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stealth Camping

I have seen "Stealth Camping " mentioned a few times. For those those that partake in that style of camping, do you do it for security reasons or to stay in places in which the ownership of the land isn't known?
    2007 Nash 22H located in a suburban trailer park
    Two 160 w. solar panels, two 6 volt GC batteries,
    double insulated windows, 2015 Norcold refer.

I'm curious to see how people here define "stealth camping". I think a Northwood trailer hooked to a truck pretty much eliminates any possibility of stealth, but it might be feasible with a truck camper.

I've watched lots of Youtube videos about full-timing in vans, cars, and motorhomes, and trying to pull it off in populated areas, but I haven't seen people do it successfully with travel trailers.
    2017 Arctic Fox 25Y
    Chassis: Firestone Transforce HT LT225/75-16, Blue Ox SwayPro 1500, EezTire TPMS, BAL 28217 recessed tire carrier, 28K miles
    Electrical: EMS-HW30C surge protector, 600W solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron MPPT 100/50, Victron MultiPlus 3000, Fullriver 415 Ah AGM

2013 Silverado 2500HD LML Duramax, manual 4x4, crew cab, std box, 114K miles

Comment

Here we have a bunch of old junker trailers, vans, and ancient motorhomes parking under the freeway or in the Home Depot lot at night. That wasn't what I was referring to as stealth camping.
      I had the idea that people were parking out in the range lands or on old logging roads for a couple days, trying to go unnoticed at night.

Comment

OK, sorry. We've only done that kind of multi-day camping in BLM areas and spots that other campers have used before us, but that's not what you're asking about. I've never seen a reference to stealth camping with a trailer, except for converted cargo trailers.

I'm still curious to learn if NROA folks do the kind of stealth camping where you're in the boonies, but you have to pretend that you're not in the RV! It seems like something you'd do only as a last resort.
        2017 Arctic Fox 25Y
        Chassis: Firestone Transforce HT LT225/75-16, Blue Ox SwayPro 1500, EezTire TPMS, BAL 28217 recessed tire carrier, 28K miles
        Electrical: EMS-HW30C surge protector, 600W solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron MPPT 100/50, Victron MultiPlus 3000, Fullriver 415 Ah AGM

2013 Silverado 2500HD LML Duramax, manual 4x4, crew cab, std box, 114K miles

Comment

Originally posted by Yabbut View Post
          I've never seen a reference to stealth camping with a trailer, except for converted cargo trailers.
          Have to agree with Yabbut here.You don't "stealth" anything with a 23' long truck and a 30' long trailer. We've parked overnight in hospital lots many times, but we're not 'stealthy'. We just park, sleep, and move on in the morning.
          2016 Ford F-350, 6.7 Powerstroke, long bed, long wheelbase, crew cab, Banks iDash 1.8 Digital Monitor, Highway Products "Pickup Pak".

2012 Arctic Fox 25Y, 700 watts of solar, two T-145 Trojan 6 volt batteries, Morningstar MPPT controller, Equalizer hitch system

(Previously owned 1997 Nash 25S which we enjoyed from 1996 to 2012.)

Comment

The only time we get "stealthy" is when we just park to sleep and don't extend the slides. Usually when we get caught traveling too late and hit a rest area or truck stop. I agree that stealth camping is done in a cargo trailer or van that doesn't look like an RV. When we hit range land or logging roads, we just camp. No trying to go unnoticed. Never had a problem in the west, but I try to hit only public land. On rare occasion where I have been caught on private land, I just apologize and they usually let me stay or I just move on
            Ken and Rita Madsen
            2018 GMC 3500 Duramax, 2016 27-5L AF

Comment

The few reports I've seen of stealth camping involve people camping in an area where camping is not permuted. It seems like it is often done in urban areas. I think I saw a youtube channel by some self labeled 'stealth campers'. They seem to do it by parking somewhere camping isn't allowed then sneaking into the camper and staying without attracting attention from the authorities. No lights, noise or slides obviously. Not for me anyway...heh
              James and Cindy Krämer
              North Florida
              Arctic Fox 25Y
              2012 Ford F350 6.7L

Comment

When traveling with our two Dogs, there isn’t a Stealth thing possible when they need to go out.....
                Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank, Titan Disc Brakes, MorRyde SRE4000

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4 B&W Companion

Comment

For practical purposes, I don't see myself blocking out the windows and skylights in order to conceal my presence at night. Sounds more like confinement than a camping trip.

Comment

We have the "stealth camping" thing here in Bend... It is the homeless that park alongside the road with their old beaten up units. Nothing "stealth" about it with all the garbage that they collect outside the doors and in their cars/trucks... They move every 10 days or something and that keeps their units from being impounded.
                    2006 Chevy HD2500 DuramaxLBZ-Allison ExCab Longbed LT3 4x4
                    Line-X, A.R.E. CX Shell, KargoMaster Rack, Prodigy
                    2005 Arctic Fox 22H, Yamaha EF3000iSEB
                    Celia's Gourmet Foods
                    Gourmet Barrel Aged Balsamic Vinegars & Infused Olive Oils

Comment

Originally posted by Shotgun View Post
                      We have the "stealth camping" thing here in Bend... It is the homeless that park alongside the road with their old beaten up units. Nothing "stealth" about it with all the garbage that they collect outside the doors and in their cars/trucks... They move every 10 days or something and that keeps their units from being impounded.
                      Here the time allowed on the street for a trailer is 48 hours, I think. Some people drive over to a park or the Target shopping center every other day. The police have backed off on the issue as they have been needed (or standing by) to quell large protests. Many officers are also diverted to the area around the new arena to "sweep" the homeless out of the area on sports nights.
                      Yeah, piles of garbage and poop left from the "stealth" campers here.

Comment

I've seen youtube videos of people with older delivery vans or utility trailers that, from the outside,
                        don't look like an rv/camper. They camp on city streets and other places that would not tolerate
                        rv parking.
                        Kim + Betsy
                        2017 AF 35-5Z
                        2017 F450 Lariat

Comment

Why would anyone want to stealth camp with a nice Northwood RV?
                          2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD Dually 6 liter Gas, DC, LB, 4.10's, 2016 AF 990

Comment

Originally posted by GeoBoy View Post
                            Why would anyone want to stealth camp with a nice Northwood RV?
                            True...

I guess with our LED lights on, awning out, rug/chairs set-up, BBQ out, flagpole extended, anemometer spinning, slides out, etc........ we're reverse-stealth camping !
                            Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Originally posted by RocklinDave View Post

True...

I guess with our LED lights on, awning out, rug/chairs set-up, BBQ out, flagpole extended, anemometer spinning, slides out, etc........ we're reverse-stealth camping !
                              Yeah!! That's what I'm talking about!!! I think I might miss the outside TV mount that we had on our 2011 27-5L but I'll get over it.
                              2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L - 4 point leveling - Onan QG 3600 Genset - 160w Solar - Rear view camera - 4x 6v batteries - Vertamax 3Kw PSW Inverter - RVLock V4 - 4x HossPads RV jack pads - Andersen Levelers - Cacagoo TPMS - more to come - 2002 F-250 Crew Cab Long Bed 7.3L - S&B Cold Air Intake - 4" Bassani X-haust turbo-back system - Air Lift 5k rear bags - SCT tuner - 16k Valley Power Pull hitch - Custom made bed-forward rack with Eide Boat Loader - Klamath 14S Deluxe fishing boat

Comment

Working...
                              X