No announcement yet.

Boondocking for Beginners--Q and A

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: boondocking resources, I've been looking at Frugal Shunpikers Guides and forest camping.com. You can get maps and info at NFS and BLM offices, too.
    [ATTACH]n5819[/ATTACH]
    Tom & Paula
    2013 Fox Mtn 235RLS
    2016 Ram 2500 Bighorn Crew, 6.7 Cummins turbo diesel
    Anderson Ultimate Hitch, 3225

Comment

OK Thanks GIandlj... I'll check it out.
      Steve and Shelley. Minnesota
      2017 RAM 3500 LLH CC 4x4 LB DRW 6.7ctd Aisin 4.10 Air Level aka Shrek
      2018 AF 27-5L, HW50C ems, Maxxis Tires, TST 507, dual AC, tank heaters, Rear Camera, Toppers, 640w Solar, Victron MP 3000 Inverter, MPPT 150/85 solar charge controller, CCGX Color Monitor,BMV702 Battery Monitor
      , 440AH Lifeline AGM, aka Fiona

Comment

I plan to write up a post soon, we are just back from 3 weeks mostly in Utah. What a trip! Boondocked on BLM land almost every night. The solar worked perfectly and I never pulled the power cord out the whole trip! I will probably get a 50 gallon water tank to add to our pickup and topper. It would have been nice to haul some water a couple times. I have a water bladder but to use that I would have either needed to empty the truck bed or put it up on top of the topper and I would have needed to haul water a long ways. The places we stayed and the solitude we could enjoy was amazing. I only wish we had places like this to go that wasn't 1,000 miles away from home.
        James, Kim & the Goldendoodles (Lucy & Regan)
        2012 Ford F250 XLT CC SB 4x4 6.7 ARE Topper and Decked Drawer System
        2013 Arctic Fox 25Y (1250# tongue weight with mods)
        Bridgestone Duravis R250 LT245/75-16 w/TST 507 internal sensors
        Blue Ox Sway Pro 1500 w/Reese Titan Weight Dist Shank

Mods 4-6v battery bank and 500w solar

Comment

Don't take this as gospel, but it has always been my understanding that you can boondock on any BLM or forest Service land that is not otherwise restricted. For instance, some areas will indicate restrictions to motorized vehicles. And depending on conditions, campfires (and fireworks) will be prohibited. Of course, there are places that you might want to avoid. In most cases, its easy to check at an area BLM or FS office.
          Shane and Patty
          and Maddy the Labradoodle
          2003, 27-5L AF
          Chevy 2007, 3500 Dooley 4X4 LT3, Crew Cab, Duramax/Allison
          Two Honda Eu 2000

Comment

Another great tool for identifying land ownership is On X Maps. For $30 a year for a single state or $100 a year for all 50, it tells you exactly where you are, land ownership and a bunch of useful information. It is targeted for hunters, but I can see it being useful for boondocking also. Works on all platforms and with a little planning will work offline. They have a free 30 day evaluation period to play with it.

I used it on my IPhone/IPad for deer/elk season this year and it worked great - will replace my Garmin GPS

http://onXmaps.com
            Bill & Susan
            2016 Nash 23D "The Box"
            2017 F350 Magnetic Grey Lariat, 6.2 4X4, ECLB "Groot"

Comment

Working...
            X