Boondocking Questions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Onug View Post
    Should I clip both ends to one battery or the (-) to one battery and the (+) to the other battery?
    I sure a lengthy conversation could be generated by this question. TV, connect to the battery nearest the Alt. RV connect to opposite poles on both if handy, if this connection not handy don't worry about it. Prior to starting you trip ensure the battery connections are free of corrosion and tight. This you should do without jumping in mind, but in the case of having to jump it should ensure both batteries charge properly.

Woods
    07 Fox 31WRB, Aria, AGMs, RPowerTwins, Heatpumps, Maxxfans, Sur eflow 57, 50amp, dualpane, Reese nocam trunnion, more.
    04 6.0L 4X4 Excursion. AirLifts, Vair, ARC, XCal3, EGRfix, 4A pillar Cobalts, AFE, MBRP, Hadley, Bilsteins, Brakesmart, Colorado's Monarch Pass Avatar

Comment

We mostly boon-dock I always deal with the slide with the TT hooked to the TV, my process, last thing I do during setup is unhook, first thing is hook back up for close down. This constitutes a full charge as far as the slide is concerned. We did find before I learned to hook up the TV when I did this at the end of the camp the slide came in slow and strained. You just might shorten the life cycle of the motor doing that.

During the camp, your staying out 2 - 3 nights you won't have an issue. During our camp we have the radio on low all day and all night, we do not conserve lighting at night nor do we waste it i.e. have lights on in the TT where we are not. In the summer we have not stay'd out long enough on our short camps to drain the bats. In winter camp the heater gets added, we set temp at about 75. When we had (2) 12's the heater might run out early the 2 second morning. Then we changed to (2) Trojan 115's and now we can go 4 - 5 nights depending on how cold it is.
      Steve & Patty
      2014 Arctic Fox 30U
      2001 29V (previous)
      2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD, 1 ton springs
      8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
      Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
      Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

Comment

Wondering about the retro insulation you mentioned. What type insulation did you use, and where did you install? I've considered a Buddy heater, I see there are two sizes. What size do you use?
        Mark, Jan and Sporty (our McNab herding dog who loves to camp)
        2013 Fox Mountain 285 RLS
        2013 Chevy Silverado 4x4 3500HD, Reese R16 Slider hitch
        Added Reese 5th Airborne Pin box

Comment

Hitch the truck up, start it, then the slide will work no problem.
          2014 Snowriver 234RBS TT
          2007 Dodge 5.9 3500 SB (Formerly Chev dually)
          Caravan Wagon Master
          http://dlink.natcoa.net/trailer.JPG

Comment

Originally posted by foxyrvlady View Post
            I'm waiting to go camping with the new, larger generator and be able to use the microwave or AC if needed!
            Being able to run the rooftop A/C is why we added the onboard generator. To do this, we also selected the smaller A/C unit so that the onboard generator wont have problems running it. In a small unit like the 22G, the A/C doesn't have to run long before the camper is nice and cool.
            SOLD - 2006/5.9 Cummins/BigHorn/2500/QCSB/4X4/48RE

2015/3.0 Ecodiesel/Big Horn/1500/QCSB/4x4/8HP70

2016/Travel Trailer/Arctic Fox 22G/LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

Comment

Originally posted by 2mtnhkrs View Post
              I've considered a Buddy heater, I see there are two sizes. What size do you use?
              I know that you didn't ask me, but I thought I would reply. We have the Mr. Heater (Big Buddy) which is equipped for two 1lb. propane bottles. The blower fan uses 4D-cell batteries or A/C adapter. The Big Buddy is very efficient, especially if you run the heater on low. In my opinion, every boondocker would benefit from having a Big Buddy.
              SOLD - 2006/5.9 Cummins/BigHorn/2500/QCSB/4X4/48RE

2015/3.0 Ecodiesel/Big Horn/1500/QCSB/4x4/8HP70

2016/Travel Trailer/Arctic Fox 22G/LP Cummins Onan Generator/160 Watt Solar Panel

Comment

Working...
              X