No announcement yet.

Who's Traveling to Alaska This Summer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who's Traveling to Alaska This Summer?

We'll be leaving home in a few weeks and heading back up to Alaska in the Arctic Fox.

Curious if any other members will be heading up there also.
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

I read an interesting article in Trailer Life about taking the ferry up from Seattle and being able to get off at various ports of call, but I bet you’re thinking of driving all the way! We’d have to be retired to do that. I’m still unsure of my abilities to line up places to stay—. I can be a nervous Nellie at times. But it is the wife’s dream.
    Mark and Anita
    2012 AF 22H dutifully following a 2014 F-350 diesel SB

Comment

Since we had a 400% reversal in our income tax payment this year, I am toying with the idea. Up to the Glacier Parkway at a minimum. We were planning on driving up to Bonner's Ferry, ID and then across US 2 but could continue north instead. We made it to Banff a few years ago but made the mistake of bringing our HS grad son and one of his buddies along. They got bored and tired of traveling so we turned back south there. Don't listen to anyone who complains about their fed taxes this year.
      James and Cindy Krämer
      North Florida
      Arctic Fox 25Y
      2012 Ford F350 6.7L

Comment

Well I know of 2 27-5L's that are leaving around May 22, We can't leave untill June 12th Granddaughters graduation from High school.
        LaDawna & Roger
        2016 Snow River 246RKS
        2016 High Country 3500 HD Crew Cab LB
        Durmax 6.6/ Allison 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by ProfQuinn View Post
          I read an interesting article in Trailer Life about taking the ferry up from Seattle and being able to get off at various ports of call, but I bet you’re thinking of driving all the way! We’d have to be retired to do that. I’m still unsure of my abilities to line up places to stay—. I can be a nervous Nellie at times. But it is the wife’s dream.
          The ferry can be very expensive. If limited in time, that may be a good choice. The sights and animals are mostly in the interior of the Yukon and Alaska.

When we were planning our first Alaskan trip with the RV, we reviewed several Alaska caravan companies and their daily itineraries. Even though we didn't consider using a caravan company, their information was valuable.

Their itineraries gave us an idea of which RV parks to stay at night, where to stop for points-of-interest, etc.

Because of the caravans (sometimes 50+ RV's in one group), when they pull into an RV park, they already have pre-arranged reservations and the park will fill-up fast. Some towns may only have one or two parks.

Some Canada / Alaska RV'rs do the trip with no reservations and just 'wing it'. We saw many RV'rs turned away from RV parks & state parks because they didn't have reservations. That's hard when your out of water and your tanks are full.

We make our reservations in the fall, before our summer trip. We only stay at a RV park in major towns when staying for a few nights and the rest of the time, we boondock for 1-2 nights.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Mark aka Prof. When you are retired, as I assumed you were, just do it. aka RVing to AK. And when up there take a private flight to Kiana and say "Neil sent me". See if you get some smiles. :-) Kiana is north of the arctic circle on the Kobuk River. Good fishing Sometimes I wonder if I'd just moved there and married Nellie Wells (a friend) and spent my life there. I'd have had to been a bush pilot. :-)
            Last edited by Smokey; 05-06-2019, 10:12 PM. Reason: added content
            Neil and Marilyn and Beamer and Tuxie (felines)
            2015 Chevy LTZ Duramax 6.6L 4x4 Double Cab LB, 40 gal Transfer Flow Aux Tank.

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L, Progressive EMS HW30C Surge Protector, TST 507 TPMS w/Color, Sailun Tires G rated, 2 Smart Tool 2000's, Titan Disk Brakes.

Of all the things I've lost. I miss my mind the most :-)

Comment

We have only driven up to AK 3 times with our 24-5N, twice while on vacation from work. Since we didn't know how far we would drive each day, and didn't want any 'hard' schedule, we didn't make reservations anywhere. In all the places we entered for the night, we only had one issue where we could stay for one night, but not two (Kenai). So, the next day we moved to a larger park a block away. We did stay in the boonies several times and WM parking lots, but that was due to convenience or beauty, not for lack of RV park space.

This year, I've made reservations to attend a family reunion in WY. After that, we may continue east, or go up to Canada and maybe Alaska again.

It's Saturday.
              2019 27-5L
              Companion Hitch
              2015 RAM 3500 LB Crew Cab SRW Aisian

Retired
              '03 24-5N (w/~80k miles)
              '03 RAM 2500 LB Crew Cab 6sp manual

Comment

Dave, How did the mosquitoes in Alaska compare to Grande Hot Springs at the rally
                LaDawna & Roger
                2016 Snow River 246RKS
                2016 High Country 3500 HD Crew Cab LB
                Durmax 6.6/ Allison 4X4

Comment

Originally posted by Roger246RKS View Post
                  Dave, How did the mosquitoes in Alaska compare to Grande Hot Springs at the rally
                  We only had two locations, where the mosquitoes were 'bad':

Chicken, Alaska
                  Fort Nelson, BC

While I say bad, it didn't limit our time seeing the sights. Backwoods Off with DEET worked great.

While in wetter locations, we did spray while going out for a hike in the woods, etc, but the mosquitoes weren't bad, just a nuisance.

We brought along full head / neck bug netting that goes over your hat. We never felt the need to use them, and Donna HATES mosquitoes.

Comment

We will be heading To Alaska sometime around the 22nd. Getting all the prep we can think of done and then off we go.
                    Peter and Fran
                    2016 AF 27-5L
                    , 50AMP, 4pt leveling, 10 Cu Ft Refrigerator, 15K AC + bedroom AC, Onan 5.5 generator, Progressive Dynamics EMSHW50C, Slide Toppers, TST 507 flow through with repeater, Cadet digital AC heater, 52" ceiling fan LED light, Dirt Devil CV1500 Central Vacuum, water filter system, 480 watt solar charger, 440 AH AGM battery bank, Magnum MS2012 2000 Watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter/charger, TorkLift steps, SRE4000, 17.5" Alcoa rims, 7k axles

2017 F-450 Super Duty, B&W Companion

Comment

Originally posted by Fox will Travel View Post
                      We will be heading To Alaska sometime around the 22nd. Getting all the prep we can think of done and then off we go.
                      You'll be ahead of us by about a week - might see you up there .

Comment

Working...
                      X