Anchorage, Alaska - The MUD Report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anchorage, Alaska - The MUD Report

We considered ANCHORAGE, Alaska home for many years and were so excited to spend 2 weeks here. We visited with great friends & hiked many miles in this spectacular area!

We have updated the travel blog with all the details: http://mud-on-the-tires.blogspot.com...july-2018.html

We are now in Homer for a few weeks. Next stops will be Ninilchik, Cooper Landing and Seward.

Arleen & Shawn

Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchorage AK1-26 Jun 2018b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	279203
    Big pull-through sites at Black Spruce RV Park on Fort Richardson

Name:	Anchorage AK63-3 Jul 2018c.jpg
Size:	944.4 KB
ID:	279204
    Crow Pass to Raven Glacier: Our favorite Alaska hike.

Name:	Anchorage AK97-7 Jul 2018.jpg
Size:	488.1 KB
ID:	279205
    We hiked the South Fork Eagle River Trail to Eagle and Symphony Lakes

Shawn & Arleen
    Retired Air Force weather forecasters, Full-timers since May 2011
    2011 Arctic Fox 29V, 2010 Dodge Ram 2500

Travel log: http://mud-on-the-tires.blogspot.com/

We don't stop playing because we grow older, we grow older because we stop playing.

Don't know when you hiked to Eagle and Symphony Lakes but I thought that trail was closed because a man was killed by a brown bear and another man was injured by the same bear. They just recently shot a sow and two cubs and are testing the DNA to see if they got the right bears but until they know for sure I think the trail is closed at least from the Hiland Road side. Glad you made it out safely!
    2015 Arctic Fox 27-5L, 2016 Chevy Silverado 3500HD Duramax Diesel SRW, PullRite Superglide 16K hitch

Comment

Originally posted by ArcticKnight View Post
      Don't know when you hiked to Eagle and Symphony Lakes but I thought that trail was closed because a man was killed by a brown bear and another man was injured by the same bear. They just recently shot a sow and two cubs and are testing the DNA to see if they got the right bears but until they know for sure I think the trail is closed at least from the Hiland Road side. Glad you made it out safely!
      We hiked it July 7th. From the blog: "Two weeks before we hiked South Fork, a man was killed while out for a quick evening hike. While searching for the missing man, another person was mauled. The bear had not been found in two weeks. A warning at the trailhead said a brown bear with two cubs had charged some hikers on the trail the day before our hike. Three days after our hike, the sow charged hikers again and the state closed the trail."

Our heads were on a swivel! We never saw her. I was surprised at the number of hikers out there that day considering the bear situation.

Latest news: "DNA tests have revealed that the brown bear sow and two cubs killed in the South Fork Eagle River Valley last week were not involved in the two maulings." So the bear responsible for the fatality is still out there. The trail is still closed...
      Shawn & Arleen

We don't stop playing because we grow older, we grow older because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by mud-on-the-tires View Post
        Our heads were on a swivel! We never saw her. I was surprised at the number of hikers out there that day considering the bear situation.
        We know the feeling....

When we were in Alaska last summer, there were several unprovoked brown bear attacks.

One was the day before we visited Hope (survived) and another was while we were in Fairbanks (teen jogging on a school track - didn't survive).

Love your stories and photographs of some of the areas we also visited / hiked.
        Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Originally posted by RocklinDave View Post

We know the feeling....

When we were in Alaska last summer, there were several unprovoked brown bear attacks.

One was the day before we visited Hope (survived) and another was while we were in Fairbanks (teen jogging on a school track - didn't survive).

Love your stories and photographs of some of the areas we also visited / hiked.
          Yes, the bear situation up here is serious. I think the bears are grumpy because the summers are so short.

We’re glad to hear you’re enjoying the blog. Look forward to your stories next year!

Shawn & Arleen

Comment

Working...
          X