Kluane Lake & Tok - The MUD Report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kluane Lake & Tok - The MUD Report

We had stopovers in KLUANE LAKE, Yukon & TOK, Alaska on our way to Fairbanks. We saw bears, mountain sheep, and moose along the way. Plus, we visited the quirky town of Chicken, Alaska. We have updated the travel blog with all the details:

http://mud-on-the-tires.blogspot.com...-may-2018.html

We are now in Fairbanks. Next stops are Cantwell, Willow, & Anchorage.

Happy travels & adventures to each of you!

At the Tachal Dhal Visitor Center in Kluane National Park, Yukon

We spotted at least 50 Dall Sheep on Sheep Mountain in Kluane National Park, Yukon. The ewes & little lambs were fun to watch!

Click image for larger version  Name:	Tok AK19-27 May 2018.jpg Views:	1 Size:	781.4 KB ID:	277457
    Chicken, Alaska has embraced its roots and we liked it! Even the outhouse!
    Shawn & Arleen
    Retired Air Force weather forecasters, Full-timers since May 2011
    2011 Arctic Fox 29V, 2010 Dodge Ram 2500

Travel log: http://mud-on-the-tires.blogspot.com/

We don't stop playing because we grow older, we grow older because we stop playing.

Congratulations on your arrival in Fairbanks! We are looking forward to reading your blogs!

Friendly Bob
    Bob and Nancy
    ======
    Proud former owners of a 2011 Arctic Fox 25R (2010-2013) and an Arctic Fox 22G from (2001-2010). Current happy owners of Northwood cross-town cousin.
    ---------
    2010 Dodge 3500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB, Cummins, 4X4, Snugtop, 1,200#/12,000# Equal-i-zer.
    Retired: "Twice the husband, half the money"

Comment

Fantastic trip. We went on your blog and looked at your adventure report. The Congdon Creek Campground with no generator noise sounded great having just camped next to the noisiest generator I have ever heard. We'll keep following your blog.

Steve and Shelley
      Steve and Shelley. Minnesota
      2017 RAM 3500 LLH CC 4x4 LB DRW 6.7ctd Aisin 4.10 Air Level aka Shrek
      2018 AF 27-5L, HW50C ems, Maxxis Tires, TST 507, dual AC, tank heaters, Rear Camera, Toppers, 640w Solar, Victron MP 3000 Inverter, MPPT 150/85 solar charge controller, CCGX Color Monitor,BMV702 Battery Monitor
      , 440AH Lifeline AGM, aka Fiona

Comment

Originally posted by rncordy View Post
        "Twice the husband, half the money"
        Now that's funny! I'm definitely going to steal that line but I promise not to use it west of the continental divide.

Steve and Shelley. Minnesota
        2017 RAM 3500 LLH CC 4x4 LB DRW 6.7ctd Aisin 4.10 Air Level aka Shrek
        2018 AF 27-5L, HW50C ems, Maxxis Tires, TST 507, dual AC, tank heaters, Rear Camera, Toppers, 640w Solar, Victron MP 3000 Inverter, MPPT 150/85 solar charge controller, CCGX Color Monitor,BMV702 Battery Monitor
        , 440AH Lifeline AGM, aka Fiona

Comment

I suppose Molly McCombs Roadhouse is no longer there in Chicken. It's where in 1964, I found out I liked Salmon! Also the fire you mention on Taylor Highway was about same place as a similar fire that consumed about same acreage in 1966. I and Cecil Hicks started out as Fire Bosses one late day 20 miles apart. I jumping with 3 guys and Him with 2. The next day we were on the same fire, but didn't know it and we were Division Bosses. Next day or so we each were Line Bosses! :-) I had one Eskimo Crew, I knew well, from Kiana and an Interior Indian crew for several days. Two of us came back a week or so after leaving and we took a BLM PU that was left sitting with the keys in it, and started hauling fuel for helicopters, til we spotted an unattended BLM stake truck. We continued to haul fuel and nobody had any idea about what we were suppose to be doing, such as continuing as line bosses maybe? We also had plenty of Molly's famous apple pie and dinner there each evening. The fall rains put the fire out.
          Neil and Marilyn and Beamer (feline)
          2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax 6.6L 4x4 Double Cab LB, 5th Spring, Ride Rite Air Bags, Tires: 275/75R18 125/122 3640 lb rated, 40 gal Transfer Flow Aux Tank.

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L, Progressive EMS HW30C Surge Protector, TST 507 TPMS w/Color, Sailun Tires G rated, 2 Smart Tool 2000's, Disk Brakes at 2018 Rally.

Comment

Originally posted by rncordy View Post
            Congratulations on your arrival in Fairbanks! We are looking forward to reading your blogs!

Friendly Bob
            Hey Friendly Bob! We hope you are having a fun summer!
            Shawn & Arleen

We don't stop playing because we grow older, we grow older because we stop playing.

Comment

Originally posted by mnSteve View Post
              Fantastic trip. We went on your blog and looked at your adventure report. The Congdon Creek Campground with no generator noise sounded great having just camped next to the noisiest generator I have ever heard. We'll keep following your blog.

Steve and Shelley
              Steve & Shelly, glad to hear you enjoyed the blog.

Yes, we sympathize with you on the noisy generator. It’s why despite having solar, we do not boondock much. We both had years of deployments where we subjected without a choice to that racket. We always shake our heads at folks with the older noisy generators. They’ll place them as far as they can from their own rig, which is often closer to their neighbor.

Happy, safe, & quiet travel wishes to you this summer!
              Shawn & Arleen

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post
                I suppose Molly McCombs Roadhouse is no longer there in Chicken. It's where in 1964, I found out I liked Salmon! Also the fire you mention on Taylor Highway was about same place as a similar fire that consumed about same acreage in 1966. I and Cecil Hicks started out as Fire Bosses one late day 20 miles apart. I jumping with 3 guys and Him with 2. The next day we were on the same fire, but didn't know it and we were Division Bosses. Next day or so we each were Line Bosses! :-) I had one Eskimo Crew, I knew well, from Kiana and an Interior Indian crew for several days. Two of us came back a week or so after leaving and we took a BLM PU that was left sitting with the keys in it, and started hauling fuel for helicopters, til we spotted an unattended BLM stake truck. We continued to haul fuel and nobody had any idea about what we were suppose to be doing, such as continuing as line bosses maybe? We also had plenty of Molly's famous apple pie and dinner there each evening. The fall rains put the fire out.
                We thouroughly enjoyed your story, Neil! Now we fully understand your nickname!

No, we did not see Molly McCombs Roadhouse. Sounds like it was good!

It is amazing how technology has changed so many occupations on so many levels. You & your buddy would be in constant contact with each other, out there fighting today’s wild fires with the advancements in communications.

You’re really going to enjoy Fairbanks blog. Our friend, Heidi, is a fire weather forecaster. We had a tour of the fire center, plus the smoke jumpers building. They even got a call while we were there! The guys showing us around had to take off! We were able to get a video of them suiting up!

Fairbanks blog should be out next week.

Happy travels to you & Marilyn!

Shawn & Arleen

Comment

As usual, loved your Alaskan journey so far! we were on the same road 53 years ago this August--from Haines to the turn-off to Anchorage at least. I really don't remember much about the trip so it is fun to re-live it! We weren't pulling a trailer.
                  Linda & Dave (retired US Army) and Magic, the Yellow Lab Duck Dog
                  2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i, Les Schwab 105 6-volt batteries, Maxxis Tires, Torque Lift Steps
                  2017 RAM 2500 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4, CTD, 8' Bed, Granite Crystal, new 7/1/17
                  2003 DODGE 3500 SLT Quad Cab 244K mi. SOLD 7/20/17

Comment

Originally posted by foxyrvlady View Post
                    As usual, loved your Alaskan journey so far! we were on the same road 53 years ago this August--from Haines to the turn-off to Anchorage at least. I really don't remember much about the trip so it is fun to re-live it! We weren't pulling a trailer.
                    Linda, I’m glad we were able to take you partly down the road you experienced all those years ago. August into September we’ll do the Anchorage to Glennallen to Tok portion (plus stop in Valdez).

Hugs to you & Dave, Arleen & Shawn
                    Shawn & Arleen

Comment

Working...
                    X