Alaska Ferry - the MUD Report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alaska Ferry - the MUD Report

We spent 4 days & 3 nights on the ALASKA FERRY from Bellingham, WA to Haines AK with a nice stopover in Ketchikan, AK. We have updated the blog with all the details: http://mud-on-the-tires.blogspot.com...-may-2018.html

We wrote it like a "how-to" blog.

We are now in Haines, AK. Next stops will be Kluane Lake, YT, Tok, AK, & Fairbanks, AK. It's so good to be back in Alaska! We already have several great stories to share (including a bear video ). Expect next blog in a week or two.

Happy summer travels to all of you!

Arleen & Shawn

Click image for larger version

Name:	AK Ferry15 - 11 May 2018b.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	922.0 KB
ID:	276012
    Driving our little home up on the ferry. We were the last to load after a 5 hour wait!

Click image for larger version

Name:	AK Ferry57 - 13 May 2018.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	276013
    We enjoyed our layover in Ketchikan by visiting Totem Bight State Park
    Shawn & Arleen
    Retired Air Force weather forecasters, Full-timers since May 2011
    2011 Arctic Fox 29V, 2010 Dodge Ram 2500

Travel log: http://mud-on-the-tires.blogspot.com/

We don't stop playing because we grow older, we grow older because we stop playing.

Great write up & what an adventure...... and very sorry for your loss .

Dave & Donna
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

X2. Now you are in the land of the little sticks on the trail of the lost caribou. Hope you have your Robert Service poem book #1 with you.
      Neil and Marilyn and Beamer (feline)
      2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax 6.6L 4x4 Double Cab LB, 5th Spring, Ride Rite Air Bags, Tires: 275/75R18 125/122 3640 lb rated, 40 gal Transfer Flow Aux Tank.

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L, Progressive EMS HW30C Surge Protector, TST 507 TPMS w/Color, Sailun Tires G rated, 2 Smart Tool 2000's, Disk Brakes at 2018 Rally.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post
        X2. Now you are in the land of the little sticks on the trail of the lost caribou. Hope you have your Robert Service poem book #1 with you.
        Great idea, Smokey! We've been reading James Michener's Alaska again. But need to get Service's book, too, along with a Call of the Wild. It enhances the whole experience.

Note: Jack London trivia - the movie White Fang was filmed here in Haines.
        Shawn & Arleen

We don't stop playing because we grow older, we grow older because we stop playing.

Comment

Robert Service: The shooting of Dan McGrew, The Creation of Sam McGee, The poem about Claw Fingered Kitty and Windy Ike! :-) The Parson's Son just to start. Then, of course there was "Lipstick Liz who was in the buzz of the oldest known in history" :-) I was a devoted reader of Robert Service and memorized so many of his poems. But now I couldn't without rereading several times, recite his poems from memory. I think I spelled McGrew wrong too. My dog I brought down from AK in '66 was named Tok. An Indian sled dog by breeding. He would stare at me with his yellow eyes across from the fire place and I'd wonder if he would go back to the wild side and get hungry! :-)
          2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax 6.6L 4x4 Double Cab LB, 5th Spring, Ride Rite Air Bags, Tires: 275/75R18 125/122 3640 lb rated, 40 gal Transfer Flow Aux Tank.

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L, Progressive EMS HW30C Surge Protector, TST 507 TPMS w/Color, Sailun Tires G rated, 2 Smart Tool 2000's, Disk Brakes at 2018 Rally.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post
            Robert Service: The shooting of Dan McGrew, The Creation of Sam McGee, The poem about Claw Fingered Kitty and Windy Ike! :-) The Parson's Son just to start. Then, of course there was "Lipstick Liz who was in the buzz of the oldest known in history" :-) I was a devoted reader of Robert Service and memorized so many of his poems. But now I couldn't without rereading several times, recite his poems from memory. I think I spelled McGrew wrong too. My dog I brought down from AK in '66 was named Tok. An Indian sled dog by breeding. He would stare at me with his yellow eyes across from the fire place and I'd wonder if he would go back to the wild side and get hungry! :-)
            You're correct. It is McGrew. I went to a place in Ester (near Fairbanks) in '97 that did a wonderful dinner theater based on that poem.

Love your story of Tok. Shawn has always named his dogs after places. Kobuk was also a sled dog breed and could fully embrace his wild side.

Arleen
            Shawn & Arleen

Comment

Kobuk was the name of my Malamute that followed Tok. He came from a kennel in Western WA. He was always a puppy. :-) Moving to Vancouver, WA he didn't fit in so well as Hellgate Canyon, (Missoula) in western MT. I loved all my dogs. I now have a cat that acts like a dog, so that's a good thing too. :-)

Comment

Great report on the ferry, we’ll be on the Alcan sometime in June making our way north. The ferry won’t work for us as our 4-leg child replacement would ensure we wouldn’t have a truck left to drive off the ferry
                Jerry, Kathie, &
                Bo, one giant Lab
                2017 Nash 24M
                2016 F250, 4X4, 6.7L
                50 gal Titan Fuel Tank
                Pressure Pro TPMS
                blog: 7rwanderers.wordpress.com

Comment

Critters do present a new set of issues. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry and Kathie View Post
                    Great report on the ferry, we’ll be on the Alcan sometime in June making our way north. The ferry won’t work for us as our 4-leg child replacement would ensure we wouldn’t have a truck left to drive off the ferry
                    I understand. I had a golden retriever I could have never left for that long in a vehicle.

Have happy & safe travels up the ALCAN. Who knows, we may cross paths in Alaska!
                    Shawn & Arleen

Comment

Thanks for the interesting report! We especially appreciated all the photos of the ship, and the details about laundromats, etc. We live in Bellingham ourselves (glad you stopped by to visit) and have dreamed about a ferry trip someday.
                      2013 Nash 17K
                      2004 Ford F250 Super Duty xlt diesel 6.0L

Comment

Loved this leg of the journey! We did it 53 years ago this August on our way to Dave's assignment at Ft. Richardson, Alaska (Anchorage area). The ferry only went to Prince Rupert, BC then, so we drove that far in our new Chev Carryall Suburban (no trailer) with our 3 month old daughter who was born in Colorado in May. We got off the ferry briefly at Sitka, then on to Haines, the end of our journey. Dave had distant relatives there that we visited and talked about the old days in Haines--Dave's grandfather was a mining engineer there and Dave's dad spent some of his childhood there. I loved the pictures--can't remember most of the trip (old age) so I am so thankful you share the pictures with all of us!
                        Linda & Dave (retired US Army) and Magic, the Yellow Lab Duck Dog
                        2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i, Les Schwab 105 6-volt batteries, Maxxis Tires, Torque Lift Steps
                        2017 RAM 2500 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4, CTD, 8' Bed, Granite Crystal, new 7/1/17
                        2003 DODGE 3500 SLT Quad Cab 244K mi. SOLD 7/20/17

Comment

Originally posted by foxyrvlady View Post
                          Loved this leg of the journey! We did it 53 years ago this August on our way to Dave's assignment at Ft. Richardson, Alaska (Anchorage area). The ferry only went to Prince Rupert, BC then, so we drove that far in our new Chev Carryall Suburban (no trailer) with our 3 month old daughter who was born in Colorado in May. We got off the ferry briefly at Sitka, then on to Haines, the end of our journey. Dave had distant relatives there that we visited and talked about the old days in Haines--Dave's grandfather was a mining engineer there and Dave's dad spent some of his childhood there. I loved the pictures--can't remember most of the trip (old age) so I am so thankful you share the pictures with all of us!
                          Linda, we enjoyed your story! I wonder if Dave’’s grandfather is mentioned in the museum at all? Haines blog will be out in about a week.

We saw a small cruise ship here in Haines that looked like an old ferry. It is part of the “Uncruise” line. It might be similar to what you rode back in the day. https://www.uncruise.com/why-us/our-fleet/ss-legacy

Right now we are “stuck” in Haines awaiting a part for our truck (automatic steering hose) to come in from Juneau. I can think of a lot worse places to be stuck.

Want to make sure all is good for that drive through Destruction Bay.

Hugs, Arleen & Shawn
                          Shawn & Arleen

Comment

Working...
                          X