Looking for a route around Los Angeles traffic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a route around Los Angeles traffic

After a quick stop in Quartzsite this January we are heading to Oceanside to visit family. Wife is interested in exploring the central California coast after leaving Oceanside, any recommendations for a route through or around LA to avoid the worst traffic and still get to the coast around San Luis Obispo. We’ll be leaving Oceanside on a Thursday.

I’ve thought about taking 15/215 over Cajon Pass to Victorville then turning north on 395 but don’t know where to turn west again to avoid snowy mountain passes.
    Jerry, Kathie, &
    our fur baby, Willow
    2019 AF27-5
    2017 Nash 24M (Sold)
    2016 F250, 4X4, 6.7L
    Added 2 leaf springs each side
    50 gal Titan Fuel Tank
    Pressure Pro TPMS
    blog: 7rwanderers.wordpress.com

There aren’t really any great options. The 15/395 option is pretty far out of the way. I’d just recommend biting the bullet & take the 5 to the 405 to the 101. No big passes or chance of snow. You’ll probably hit some pockets of traffic but mid-day shouldn’t be too bad. Be patient and not in a big hurry.
    Ramjet & The Louis
    Roger & Susan Engle
    Bo & Bailey; Labrador Retriever Terrorists
    2010 Ford F-250 King Ranch 6.4L Diesel 4X4
    2018 Arctic Silver Fox 32A
    -120W Zamp Solar
    -2 Trojan T-105 6V Batteries
    -Progressive EMS-HW50C
    -TST 507 Internal TPMS
    -EazLift Elite 1200# hitch
    -Soft Start RV

Comment

Originally posted by Ramjet18 View Post
      There aren’t really any great options. The 15/395 option is pretty far out of the way. I’d just recommend biting the bullet & take the 5 to the 405 to the 101. No big passes or chance of snow. You’ll probably hit some pockets of traffic but mid-day shouldn’t be too bad. Be patient and not in a big hurry.
      This is the best route. To minimize traffic, you could plan to leave Oceanside at midnight or so. At that time of the morning traffic will be minimal. Run up to the Ventura area, find a nice place to camp and take a nap.
      2014 Arctic Fox 22g, 285 Watt Solar. TST TPMS, Micro-Air EasyStart

2022 F-250 XLT CCSB 4x4, 6.2, 4.30

Comment

Agreed. Timing is everything. Get there around 10 am or at midnight. You can use Google maps and enter your times and it will “forecast” traffic and show you what traffic is at other times. But it is as good as the weather man I. Forecasting and I don’t trust him either.

hope to see you in Quartzite in Jan.
        Terry Haynes
        USAF Retiree. 2018 29-5T, Disc Brakes, Slipper Springs, SoftStart, RV Airflow,12v EverChill frig, Pantry & Bsmt slides, Slide Toppers, Drain Master, LevelMatePRO, 2 A/Cs, SeeLevel II, TorkLift Steps, 3.8KW Gen, 4 BB Batteries, Victron Multiplus II, Clr Ctrl GX & 712 Battery Monitor, Clear Source Ultra & Acuva H2O Filter
        2019 RAM 3500 CTD SRW LB Longhorn, B&W Hitch, BAK Flip Cover, TST w/ truck and RV spare tire monitors, 4 cam Haloview, 60 gal aux fuel tank, 60A dc-dc charger

Comment

Originally posted by Ramjet18 View Post
          X2

I've done that route (and the SF Bay area) for 20 years (except last year!). I try to enter the traffic area around 10AM to avoid the morning rush! Ha-ha! No fun but doable.

Bob
          Bob and Nancy
          ======
          Proud former owners of a 2011 Arctic Fox 25R (2010-2013) and an Arctic Fox 22G from (2001-2010). Current happy owners of Northwood cross-town cousin.
          ---------
          2010 Dodge 3500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB, Cummins, 4X4, Snugtop, 1,200#/12,000# Equal-i-zer.
          Retired: "Twice the husband, half the money"

Comment

The midnight departure from Oceanside is good advice. The most direct route will take you past LAX (that is the 5 to the 405 route) or through downtown (5). The road conditions through downtown can be poor. We usually make slight adjustments to the route and go through Pasadena if we leave midday and then from there it is a straight shot up the 134/101. Enjoy the central coast.
            2019 27-5L
            2022 F350, delivery uncertain.

Comment

Pulling a trailer through the Los Angeles area .... 11pm - 3am is your best bet.
              Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

removed
                Last edited by Smokey; 01-03-2022, 05:58 PM.
                Neil and Marilyn + Beamer & Tuxie (the Tuxedo Cats)
                New to us: 2015 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.7 4x4, Extended Cab 8' Bed
                2022 Fox Mtn 235 RLs
                Sold 2015 Chevy Duramax and 2016 27-5L :-(

Comment

My apologies for not thanking everyone for the input. We decided to take 15 to the 210, while not exactly avoiding LA it will us take through my childhood stomping grounds while growing up in SoCal.
                  Jerry, Kathie, &
                  our fur baby, Willow
                  2019 AF27-5
                  2017 Nash 24M (Sold)
                  2016 F250, 4X4, 6.7L
                  Added 2 leaf springs each side
                  50 gal Titan Fuel Tank
                  Pressure Pro TPMS
                  blog: 7rwanderers.wordpress.com

Comment

Working...
                  X