June 21 Trip for Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• June 21 Trip for Rally

Over the last 6 years we have been going over to the Oregon coast for a few days prior to the rally. Last year since the rally was cancelled we ended up staying on the coast for a few extra days then only spending two days in LaGrande. We have always taken Hwy 84 through Portland and then over to Depoe Bay area (Sea and Sand RV Park). I was thinking this year, to mix it up a bit, going across on Hwy 20 or 26. We have always stopped in Biggs Junction and stayed at Peach Beach on Wednesday night, then the rest of the way on Thursday.

What I am looking for is if anyone has thoughts on the route and where would be a good stop along whichever way. I have never been on either route and would really appreciate thoughts on whether it's a good option to change up the scenery for a trip.
    ----------------------------------
    2010 Dodge 1500 SLT 5.7 Hemi, TRX 4x4
    1997 Nash 25S Travel Trailer
    http://www.nroa2003.com/forum/fileda...photoid=221486

Last year after the rally, we took Hwy 26 west (via Baker City on Hwy 7) to Redmond.

We stopped in John Day at the Fairgrounds RV Park for a couple of nights. Had a great time - nice little town and a quiet campground within walking distance of restaurants, a museum, etc.

We're doing the same this year after the rally and again staying in John Day. We don't want to drive through Portland or the Nevada desert to get back home.

The highway was nicely maintained, no travel surprises and a beautiful drive.
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Thanks, that is what I am hoping for. Some beautiful scenery other that what we have seen for the last few years along I84 through the Portland area. I will look into it.
      ----------------------------------
      2010 Dodge 1500 SLT 5.7 Hemi, TRX 4x4
      1997 Nash 25S Travel Trailer
      http://www.nroa2003.com/forum/fileda...photoid=221486

Comment

26 is a much prettier drive than 20, at least there are trees. For a different variation at the 395 junction go north to Uriah, then east on 244. Brings you in 5-10 miles west of LaGrande on 84 (right at the bottom of the hill). Haven’t been on 244 in several years so can’t say what it’s like now. In my past life used to do sales calls in Eastern Oregon. Left Baker on 26 to John Day, Then 395/244 to LaGrande. Once a week for ten years........
        2009 Arctic Fox 29L
        TV 2007 Chev 2500HD Duramax

Comment

Oops should be Ukiah. Crazy auto spell.
          2009 Arctic Fox 29L
          TV 2007 Chev 2500HD Duramax

Comment

Working...
          X