Post rally suggestions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post rally suggestions please

We have our trip planned to Grande Hot Springs RV Resort for the rally, but nothing after. We’re looking for some suggestions for when we leave the rally. I prefer to be more spontaneous and not have to make reservations, but my wife likes the certainty of knowing where we will stop for the night. I realize that spontaneity is hard to do currently, but you know the PNW and may have some secrets. I was going to wait till we got to the rally to ask, but decided I ought to start checking now. I’d like to do some boondocking, just have to take into consideration we have a 32-5M.

Here is our plan to get to the rally:
    Leave Omaha on the 10th and drive 440 miles to Gering, NE (just outside of Scottsbluff, NE) and stay there for 2 days. Drive 182 miles to Estes Park, CO for 2 days. Drive 51 miles through Rocky Mountain National Park to Granby, CO for another 2 days. Then we drive 247 miles to Jensen, UT to spend 2 days at Dinosaur National Monument. Then 220 miles to Moab, UT for 3 days of exploring. 453 miles to Twin Falls, ID for an overnight and finally 294 miles to La Grande.
    2013 Ram 3500 Dually, Aisen, 3.73 gears.

2020 32-5M. 400 watts solar, 400 AH LiFePo4, Smart Shunt, MultuPlus 3000.

Both you are basically driving by

https://tfid.org/309/Shoshone-Falls
    https://www.aerospaceutah.org/

aerospaceutah has a SR71 which is kinda cool to see.
    map of the site https://www.aerospaceutah.org/wp-con...chure-2020.pdf
    2018 GMC 3500 SB diesel with pull rite superglide
    2017 Arctic fox 27-5l 50Amp 5.5 Gen, 4 6 volt, 450W solar,ARPrv,michelin xps,power watchdog, Tank Heat Pads and 4 Point Leveling System
    2007 Titanium 34E39RE

My 27-5l Manual

Comment

Art, thanks for the response. Anyone with other suggestions?

Comment

Go to Lewiston Idaho and take a half day trip on the Snake River jet boats. Continue over Lolo Pass to Missoula and go to Glacier NP. From there go to Great Falls and visit the CM Russell Museum, Giant Springs. From there choices are Yellowstone and The Tetons, visit Cody, WY and the Buffalo Bill Museum of the west. or go to Big Horn Battle field NP and possibly on to Mt Rushmore if you haven't been there. Lots of possibilities.
        Glen & Linda
        2018 27-5L Arctic Fox,
        2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD D/A 4X4 Ext Cab
        Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch
        Blogs: Ongoing: http://glelin-travels1.blogspot.com/
        Alaska: http://glelin-travels.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by GIandlj View Post
          SNIPPED visit Cody, WY and the Buffalo Bill Museum of the west.
          That museum needs at least 2 days by itself. Also the Irma hotel used to have a gunfight show on the street, very entertaining, before dinner. I stayed at the Ponderosa Campground before, will go there again if the Border eventually opens up again.

2018 GMC 3500HD Duramax SRW CC
          2020 AF 28-5C with OEM + 570 Watts Solar, 3@ Slide Toppers. Hard wired Surge protection added.

Comment

While in Estes Park, be sure to visit the Stanley Hotel (as in the Stanley Steamer, and yes they have the original in the lobby). Nice spot for lunch. Great access to RMNP East slope from that side also. Double check the National Park website for updates on how many can enter and what is open.
            2018 Arctic Fox 295T Fifth Wheel (Our 3rd AF)
            2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 3.73 Rear. New BD Trans 2018. Upgraded 2 piece BD manifold & BD exhaust brake 2019. Air Lift Air Springs. TPMS. Girshwin's Ella Fitzhound (12/8/2003-6/29/2020)

Comment

Since we'll be near Washington State and we haven't camped there yet, does anyone have suggestions for WA? Easy boondocking sites? Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Comment

We are not boondockers much, but highly recommend two coast campgrounds: Fort Stevens at the NW tip of Oregon (stop in Astoria for the Maritime museum) and Cape Disappointment on Long Beach peninsula (lots of Lewis and Clark stuff and within one or two minutes walk to the beach. They are a possible long drive in a day from the Rally, but could be broken up at Maryhill State Park on the WA side of the Biggs Junction bridge (near several wineries) or even one of the campgrounds near Mt. Hood (on the OR side). If you trek that way do Not take the Washington side highway west (14 I think) as there are a couple of very low clearance tunnels nearer the coast. Our old 22H would barely clear them, but I’m not sure our 25Y would.
                Mark and Anita
                2020 25Y dutifully following a 2014 F-350 diesel SB

Comment

We think we want to leave La Grande and go to Washington State. My wife loves trees (her family was in the tree nursery business). Are there any campgrounds in the forests of Washington that we can (easily) get our 32-5M into?

Comment

North Cascades National Park area is beautiful but I’m not sure about RV parks near or within the NP. Others on the forum live much closer and will know. Our recommendation is the town of Leavenworth, Wa. Best RV park in that area would be Icicle River RV Resort
                    2018 Arctic Fox 295T Fifth Wheel (Our 3rd AF)
                    2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 3.73 Rear. New BD Trans 2018. Upgraded 2 piece BD manifold & BD exhaust brake 2019. Air Lift Air Springs. TPMS. Girshwin's Ella Fitzhound (12/8/2003-6/29/2020)

Comment

I would agree with Leavenworth. Full disclosure my wife and I both work there. Nice Bavarian themed town, lots of small locally owned shops and restaurants. The only chain restaurant is a McDonalds. There are a couple RV parks close to town, within a mile or less. There is also a KOA. Within 20 miles are a few state parks and city/county RV parks.
                      if you stay on the Wenatchee side I would also check out Lake Chelan. Lake is 60 miles or so long, the only access by road is the 1st 25 miles. At the other end is the town of Stehekin, now owned by USFS. Only access is boat or seaplane. There is a Large walk on boat that goes up daily with guided points of interest on the way. Really cool trip on “Lady of the Lake”.
                      Cashmere also has the Aplets and Cotlets factory, and does tours.
                      There’s a ton of things to do and see in North Central Wa. 100 miles east is Grand Coulee Dam, they do laser light shows against the dam at dusk. You park about 1/2 mile away and even I can see it without my 2nd set of eyes.
                      Feel free to get in touch if you would like any information, we are also planning on being at the rally.

Roger
                      2009 Arctic Fox 29L
                      TV 2007 Chev 2500HD Duramax

Comment

Working...
                      X