Lassen National Park Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lassen National Park Questions

The wife and I are thinking about a quick road trip without the trailer. Thinking of heading to Lassen NP and are wondering how many days to set aside for the park itself. We are thinking two days would be more than enough, and one day probably would not cover it.

Also trying to decide if we should take the van and camp in it, or take the car and stay in Redding where there is affordable lodging. I have done hours of research, and all the forest service campgrounds around the park, and the NP campgrounds inside the park are closed, with the exception of Manzanita Lake which is now first come first served. Most lodging is closed, and what is open is either over price cockroach manors, or in the WAY over priced decent places that we don't want to spend the money on. Without being able to do reservations, I am leaning towards driving the car and making the hour trip back to Redding each night.

Anyone been there this time of year and can maybe give us some inside information and/or advise? Plan on leaving Wednesday and still up in the air...
    2006 Chevy HD2500 DuramaxLBZ-Allison ExCab Longbed LT3 4x4
    Line-X, A.R.E. CX Shell, KargoMaster Rack, Prodigy
    2005 Arctic Fox 22H, Yamaha EF3000iSEB
    Celia's Gourmet Foods
    Gourmet Barrel Aged Balsamic Vinegars & Infused Olive Oils

OK ignore my last somehow I read Crater Lake, don't ask me how, instead of Lassen volcanic. We spent 5 days at Lassen that same year, got there mid-July and it was partially snowed in. The park cg is excellent, one of the best in the NP system IMO. There is quite a bit to do and two days will just scratch what they have to offer. It is a mini-YNP with thermal features like hot springs and mud pots. Some of those were snowed in when we were there. And of course there were no crowds at all.

I planned to return this last summer but with the panic decided it was impractical. I'd like to spend another week there. I don't like entering Cali but a quick trip down from the north border would be OK.

Not being from the area I have no opinion on day tripping from Redding.
    James and Cindy Kramer
    Arctic Fox 25Y 2016-2012 Ford F350 4WD
    Fulltime starting summer 2020

Comment

Lassen can get warm in the summer, but this is a great time to visit. The drive between Redding & Lassen is beautiful.

One day to do the loop road (Lassen Peak Hwy) is all's that's needed, since the visitor centers & museum are closed. The highway (Hwy-89) is closed at first snow and isn't plowed until late spring / early summer.

I would take a second day to climb Mt. Lassen. Have done it several times and well worth it. Small kids, seniors, etc all make the summit in a couple of hours. Great views at 10.400'.

Other places outside the park are Burney Falls, Lake Almanor, Subway Cave Lava Tubes, etc.

Burney is a nice small logging town with stores, restaurants, fuel, etc. I might suggest staying at one of the many RV parks in the area and van camping. That way you cut driving time and stay in the forest, instead of driving back into the city of Redding.
      Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Are there currently fires in the area?
        Linda & Dave (retired US Army) and Magic, the Yellow Lab Duck Dog
        2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i, Les Schwab 105 6-volt batteries, Maxxis Tires, Torque Lift Steps
        2017 RAM 2500 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4, CTD, 8' Bed, Granite Crystal, new 7/1/17
        2018 Prius IV, new December 2018

Comment

Originally posted by foxyrvlady View Post
          Are there currently fires in the area?
          No local fires and no smoke for past two weeks.

Red areas are former fire lines (all contained per CalFire)

Yellow box is the Lassen National Forest & National Park

Click image for larger version

Name:	aaa.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	71.7 KB
ID:	304824
          Attached Files

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

3 or 4 years ago we stayed at the KOA at Shingletown. We haven't used many KOA's and some have been really poor but this was probably the nicest KOA we have stayed at with a more natural setting in the forest.
            Bob P
            2008 Ford F350 Super Cab 6.4 PSD 4x4
            2018 AF 29-5T

Comment

Originally posted by phillips1970 View Post
              3 or 4 years ago we stayed at the KOA at Shingletown. We haven't used many KOA's and some have been really poor but this was probably the nicest KOA we have stayed at with a more natural setting in the forest.
              We stayed here in 2017 when we visited Lassen and it was a very nice park.

2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD Dually 6 liter Gas, DC, LB, 4.10's, 2016 AF 990

Comment

Originally posted by RocklinDave View Post
                I might suggest staying at one of the many RV parks in the area and van camping. That way you cut driving time and stay in the forest, instead of driving back into the city of Redding.
                Dave,

That is exactly what we are going to do. I have spent the day trying to transpose our van into a mini-motorhome as best as I can. We can stay in the boon docking mode a couple days then hit a RV park with showers and electric to recharge all our electronics and maybe even enjoy a heater for a night! Maybe even splurge and grab a motel here and there for some TV and deep cleaning LOL...

We have also decided to extend our trip, and head to Lake Tahoe after Lassen and then Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks. Depending on some business we might have in the LA area, we will ether head there, or maybe head east and come back up through Las Vegas or something. Who knows...

What I do know is we have about 500 geocaches loaded so this will not only be a road trip, but a geocaching trip as well. Been a long time since we have done this type of adventure, hope the old bodies can handle it!
                Celia's Gourmet Foods

Comment

Originally posted by Shotgun View Post

Dave,

That is exactly what we are going to do. I have spent the day trying to transpose our van into a mini-motorhome as best as I can. We can stay in the boon docking mode a couple days then hit a RV park with showers and electric to recharge all our electronics and maybe even enjoy a heater for a night! Maybe even splurge and grab a motel here and there for some TV and deep cleaning LOL...

We have also decided to extend our trip, and head to Lake Tahoe after Lassen and then Yosemite, Kings Canyon and Sequoia National Parks. Depending on some business we might have in the LA area, we will ether head there, or maybe head east and come back up through Las Vegas or something. Who knows...

What I do know is we have about 500 geocaches loaded so this will not only be a road trip, but a geocaching trip as well. Been a long time since we have done this type of adventure, hope the old bodies can handle it!
                  Safe travels and have a fantastic time.....

Comment

Shotgun,

If you end up wanting to camp in free Forrest area, there is a great spot just outside the park boundaries by Manzanita Lake and near the very small town of Old Station. I have stayed there for the last 6 years and it's a quiet spot with many camping turnouts along Hat Creek. Just fire rings but perfect for a night or two.

If your interested, googlemap Big Pines Campground (Forrestry) and that will get you there. Where I usually stay is located between Forrest RTE 32N13 (also listed as Big Pines Road) and Forrest RTE 32N12. There is a dirt road that connects the two streets that follows Hat Creek. I have never had a problem finding a spot to camp.
                    2015 Arctic Fox 992 Camper, 500 Watt solar, built in generator, Victron Battery Monitor BMV-712, Two 6V AGM Batteries, Winegard Air 360+.

2015 Chevy 3500 Diesel 4 Door Long Bed SRW 4WD P/U w/ Transflow extended fuel tank, Forklift Tie Downs, FastGun Turnbuckles, Super Hitch & Truss, Stable Load Upper & Lower, Air Lift Wireless Compressor, Firestone Air Bags, TPMS 507 Tire Sensor System w/ Color Monitor, Rexing V1 Gen3 Dash Camera, and Rear Vies Safety Wireless Backup Cameras RVS-4CAM.

Comment

Originally posted by jfranzini View Post
                      If your interested, googlemap Big Pines Campground (Forrestry) and that will get you there. Where I usually stay is located between Forrest RTE 32N13 (also listed as Big Pines Road) and Forrest RTE 32N12. There is a dirt road that connects the two streets that follows Hat Creek. I have never had a problem finding a spot to camp.
                      I see that road on the map. Big Pines is closed but Cave and Old Station are open, that will be an option as well. We might just head to Manzanita Lake and see what is up and make a decision from there. Thanks for the info!!!
                      Celia's Gourmet Foods

Comment

Working...
                      X