Looking for a trip route recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a trip route recommendation

We are crazy but need to take our rig from San Diego to Mississippi this coming weekend. The shortest Route is I8 to I10. But it is very hot crossing the deserts this time of year. Another route, although slightly longer would be I10 to I17 to I40 and take a slight northern route. We have a new Ram 3500 CTD and a 2018 29-5T. Looking for recommendations from fellow experienced AF travellers. Thanks in advance.
    Terry Haynes
    USAF Retire. 2018 29-5T 2 a/c, AC/Gas frig, Pantry, basement slide, slide toppers, Drain Master sewer hose, LevelMatePRO, 3 camera Haloview System, TST with truck and RV spare tire monitors,
    2019 RAM 3500 CTD SRW LB Lariat Longhorn, Companion B&W hitch, Revolver X4 truck bed cover

I would do the southern route although I don't know if you are going to the northern or southern part of Mississippi. When we need to travel this route in the summer we leave really early, 5am. You can get in a lot of miles before it gets too hot. We are in SE Arizona but travel to SOCAL and Texas at least once a year.
    Safe Travels,
    Susan
    2016 Arctic Fox 25W, 2004 Ford F250,

Comment

Thank you. We are crazy but need to travel 500 miles a day so we will be traveling all day. We are going to northern MS. Would this make a difference in your recommendation?
      Terry Haynes
      USAF Retire. 2018 29-5T 2 a/c, AC/Gas frig, Pantry, basement slide, slide toppers, Drain Master sewer hose, LevelMatePRO, 3 camera Haloview System, TST with truck and RV spare tire monitors,
      2019 RAM 3500 CTD SRW LB Lariat Longhorn, Companion B&W hitch, Revolver X4 truck bed cover

Comment

The I-17 is a steep climb, curvy and gets a lot of truck traffic. Northern AZ, New Mexico and Texas are all hot this time of the year. In the summer we make the trip from our cabin to Albuquequer a couple time a year. Another option is the I-10 to the I-25 to the I-40. It kind of depends on how fast you want to make the trip and its there is place you want to see enroute. Don't plan on staying overnight in Odessa or Midland. The RV parks are full of oil workers. We know some places on the 10 and the 20. feel free to reach out.
        S.

Comment

That looks like a great idea. Thank you. We unfortunately only have two weeks plus the weekends on either side of the weeks to get from SD to Starkville MS. So we won’t be stopping ☹️
          I drove these highways several times but well over 20 years ago and not pulling a Fifth wheel. Just concerned about the heat. Maybe I don’t need to be. At this time of a year, in the southwest, is it difficult to get a pull through RV site at campgrounds or are they booked up? Thanks for the heads up on those two towns.
          Terry Haynes

Comment

NM apparently just announced a 14 day quarantine for anyone entering the state. So either drive straight thru or avoid the state. I'd stop in far eastern AZ then drive thru NM the next day. I-40 goes thru OK and you will experience many miles of thump THUMP thump on I40 or any other OK road. We drove thru there in mid June.
            James and Cindy Kramer
            Arctic Fox 25Y 2016-2012 Ford F350 4WD
            Fulltime starting summer 2020

Comment

Wow! Thanks for letting me know. Such strange times we live in.
              Terry Haynes

Comment

You can stay overnight in New Mexico. They do want you to stay in the rv park. The way it is worded is 14 days or length of your stay if it is shorter. At the beginning some were thinking if you stopped overnight you had to stay 14 days but that is not true. We often drive 500 miles a day. While it is not fun your route should keep you out of major cities which will help. I use the calculation of an average of 50 mph when adding in fuel and food stops. We usually bring our lunch on the long days. I prep the night before some sandwiches or meat, cheese and crackers along with fruits and snacks. Bring bottled water to have in the truck. When are you headed out?
                S.

Comment

Thanks for the update. You have been very helpful. Unfortunately my wife came down with cellulitis this past weekend. So now we aren’t sure if we can go. Because of our work schedules, we have a small window of availability to travel. Of course I had already rescheduled several doctors appointments and cancelled reservations for a previously scheduled camping trip. Good to hear there are others that travel longer than the 300 miles that I keep reading about. I’ll keep you posted. Again thank you. You have been most helpful.
                  Terry Haynes

Comment

If your TV has a variable vane turbo it needs to be driven occasionally. The vanes can stick if unused. Take it out once a month, bring it up to full temperature, do a couple of short wide open throttle cycles. Failure to cycle can an will allow the vanes to stick, resulting a very expensive repair. I've assisted in unsticking vanes without disassembly on occasion, but their are times that removing the turbo is required.

Woods
                    07 Fox 31WRB, Aria, AGMs, RPowerTwins, Heatpumps, Maxxfans, Sur eflow 57, 50amp, dualpane, Reese nocam trunnion, more.
                    04 6.0L 4X4 Excursion. AirLifts, Vair, ARC, XCal3, EGRfix, 4A pillar Cobalts, AFE, MBRP, Hadley, Bilsteins, Brakesmart, Colorado's Monarch Pass Avatar

Comment

FYI, the western New Mexico border with Arizona, along I-10 is a small town called Lordsburg.

Just off of I-10 is the NM Welcome Center. It has overnight parking for RV's, 24hr WiFi in the parking lot and is quiet. Great for a night's stay while traveling thru.

Mississippi has some beautiful welcome centers / rest areas along I-10, with nighttime RV use allowed and 24hr security.

We travel I-10 btw California & Florida each January-March. Lots of rest areas to boondock, especially Texas, where the drive gets long.
                      Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Thank all of you. Looks like we will depart tomorrow morning. Excited. This is our first long trip in the new Ram and new to us two year old 2018 29-5T. We’ve had it out on six local trips, less than an hour from our home. Only big issue thus far was a flat tire. So hopefully all will be uneventful. Not making any advance reservations, not exactly sure where we will stop each day. Hopefully this isn’t a big mistake and we can find pull through camp sites. Again thank each of you.
                        Terry Haynes

Comment

My shoulders are aching just thinking about driving 500 miles a day. Pack some Naproxen. We have driven SoCal to Texas several times and it was always uneventful if a little boring. Safe travels.
                          Tom & Lynn
                          2018 F350 DRW 6.7 Powerstroke
                          2019 AF 27-5L

Comment

Thanks. It will be fun. Boring. Tiring. It’s been a few years since we’ve had a big road trip.
                            Terry Haynes

Comment

Heads Up: As of Monday July 13 New Mexico is reclosing the restaurants to indoor seating. Our county had only two cases but heard yesterday we have another one and it is in my neighborhood. Stay safe out there
                              S.

Comment

Working...
                              X