No announcement yet.

Oregon Parks Closed until Sept 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since our recent September trip to Oregon was cut short and we didn't get past La Grande I would like to plan a trip for next year. Does anyone have a clue if or when Oregon State Parks will go back to the "nine months in advance" rule for making reservations? Looks like the state of Washington is still using the nine month rule.

Kurt, Leslie and Cooper
    Flagstaff, AZ
    2018 27-5L
    2018 RAM 2500 6.7L

Comment

Originally posted by FlagRS View Post
      Since our recent September trip to Oregon was cut short and we didn't get past La Grande I would like to plan a trip for next year. Does anyone have a clue if or when Oregon State Parks will go back to the "nine months in advance" rule for making reservations? Looks like the state of Washington is still using the nine month rule.
      No word yet..... here's the OSP media site where any rule changes will be posted:

https://www.oregon.gov/oprd/AO/Pages/AU-news.aspx
      Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

UPDATE:

OSP has a meeting on Nov 17th, regarding park reservation window rule change:

https://www.oregon.gov/oprd/AO/Docum...on-Meeting.pdf

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD:SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T:Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

I just wish they would make a plan to open up some of the campgrounds they have closed down. Then the reservation issue would not be so big. Two of our favorite and closest coastal campgrounds, Cape Blanco and Washburne remain closed. It is certainly not one of our favorites, but Bullards Beach is open. However that campground is busier than ever with others being closed. Plus they told me have gone to their normal winter closing of 2 out of the the 3 loops. So good luck getting a reservation there now even if they change the window.
          2001 F-350 V-10 4X4 CC 80,000 miles. Larger Transmission Cooler, Rear View Camera on 26N, ScanGauge.
          2018 Nash 26N. 900W Solar, 2nd Bathroom Medicine Cabinet, Progressive Industries EMS, Two Recliners and Kitchen Counter Wall,
          2015 Nash 17K Previous

Comment

I'm hoping they re-open the 9 months reservation window.... so we can make plans for next spring / summer.

Comment

From Wednesday's meeting's notes:

The experience closing parks and cancelling reservations in March 2020 exposed a need for increased flexibility in reservation rules to enable the agency to more nimbly respond to changing conditions. The specificity in the current rules do not allow for flexibility to adapt to changing market conditions or utilize improvements in processes available in the online reservation system.

The proposed rules would establish a range for transaction fees changed for making, changing or cancelling a reservation. Specific fees would be established, posted on websites and customers notified prior to any fees being charged. Changes to the reservation window would also provide flexibility. This change would enable same day reservations through 18 months, but not all sites would be open the entire window.

This change would allow the agency to set a range for reservation policies to provide flexibility, rather than dictate a single reservation window.

What does that mean?
              Kurt, Leslie and Cooper
              Flagstaff, AZ
              2018 27-5L
              2018 RAM 2500 6.7L

Comment

Differing campgrounds can have differing rules.
                2017 Arctic Fox 992 Truck Camper
                2005 Ford F350, 6.0 Diesel, Crew Cab, 4x4, Manual Trans
                Honda EU2000i Generator
                River Wild 16' Drift Boat, 9.9 Honda Outboard
                Stillwater Trout Fly Fisherman

Comment

From Wednesday's meeting's notes:

The experience closing parks and cancelling reservations in March 2020 exposed a need for increased flexibility in reservation rules to enable the agency to more nimbly respond to changing conditions. The specificity in the current rules do not allow for flexibility to adapt to changing market conditions or utilize improvements in processes available in the online reservation system.

The proposed rules would establish a range for transaction fees changed for making, changing or cancelling a reservation. Specific fees would be established, posted on websites and customers notified prior to any fees being charged. Changes to the reservation window would also provide flexibility. This change would enable same day reservations through 18 months, but not all sites would be open the entire window.

This change would allow the agency to set a range for reservation policies to provide flexibility, rather than dictate a single reservation window.

What does that mean?
                  I read the same new rules from yesterday's OSP Commission Meeting. Waiting for their press release to clarify the rules and for Reserve America to open reservation windows beyond the current 2 weeks.

https://www.oregon.gov/oprd/CAC/Docu...020-11-09b.pdf

Sure would make planning for the 2021 summer camping season easier.....

Comment

FYI Northwood Campers:

News Release from Oregon Parks and Recreation Dept.
                    Posted on FlashAlert: December 1st, 2020 3:33 PM

PUBLIC COMMENT PERIOD OPENS FOR PROPOSAL TO UPDATE RULES AFFECTING RESERVATIONS FOR OREGON STATE PARKS

Oregon Parks and Recreation Department (OPRD) is accepting public comments on a proposed change to the Oregon Administrative Rule guiding reservations for Oregon State Parks. The proposed changes would affect transaction fees and the reservation window.

The unprecedented process of closing all parks and canceling reservations in response to COVID-19 exposed a need for increased flexibility in reservation rules to enable the agency to respond nimbly to changing conditions. OPRD closed all parks March 23, 2020, and reopened in phases, with many campgrounds reopening June 9, 2020.

The proposed change to OAR 736-015-0015 includes implementing a flexible range of $0-$15 for transaction fees to make, change or cancel a reservation. Currently, customers are charged an $8 transaction fee for each reservation.

The proposal would also add flexibility to the reservation window, allowing the agency to vary the window from same-day reservations up to 18 months in advance. Not all sites would be open during the entire window, and neither the maximum nor the minimum ends of the range would necessarily be made available at any given time. Currently the window is set from one day to nine months in advance across the system.

OPRD will accept public comments on the proposed change through 5 p.m. Jan. 15, 2021. Comments can be made online, in writing or via email:
                    The full text of the proposed change is available online at oregon.gov/oprd/PRP/Pages/PRP-rulemaking. After reviewing public comments, OPRD staff plan to present a final recommended rule for consideration by the Oregon State Parks and Recreation Commission at its February 2021 business meeting.
                    Kurt, Leslie and Cooper
                    Flagstaff, AZ
                    2018 27-5L
                    2018 RAM 2500 6.7L

Comment

... OPRD staff plan to present a final recommended rule for consideration by the Oregon State Parks and Recreation Commission at its February 2021 business meeting...
                      Hopefully the OSP Commission can make a decision before the 2021 summer season is over .

Comment

I agree, I was a little disappointed to see the request for public input. They should have just made an executive decision.
                        Kurt, Leslie and Cooper
                        Flagstaff, AZ
                        2018 27-5L
                        2018 RAM 2500 6.7L

Comment

I agree, I was a little disappointed to see the request for public input. They should have just made an executive decision.
                          From the OSP November 17/18th meeting minutes, it appeared they took action on the recommendation of OSP staff, to open up the reservations to 18 months. Public comments were allowed at that meeting. Written comments were also allowed before the meeting date.

I have a feeling that the 'decision makers' can't make a decision.....

Comment

The 18 month window sure seems like a long time out, one at popular locations could make it tougher to get into the places folks want.

I was also thinking the current 30 day window for reservations would be extended out further, but don’t see that.
                            Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2013 GMC Yukon Denali, 6.2 liter, no mods

Looking for TT
                            2016 AF 27-5L
                            (SOLD 11/2019)

Comment

Originally posted by RocklinDave View Post

I'm pretty sure since these are public parks paid for with taxpayer dollars, public input is required and not due to indecision. I believe it's this way in every state, including California.

2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali 4x4 Diesel
                              2017 Arctic Fox 22G.

Comment

Originally posted by RocklinDave View Post
                                They are doing things the "Oregon way"............................ask for public input and then after receiving said "input" do what they wanted to do in the first place.
                                2017 Arctic Fox 992 Truck Camper
                                2005 Ford F350, 6.0 Diesel, Crew Cab, 4x4, Manual Trans
                                Honda EU2000i Generator
                                River Wild 16' Drift Boat, 9.9 Honda Outboard
                                Stillwater Trout Fly Fisherman

Comment

Working...
                                X