Arkansas to LA I-40 or I-10

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arkansas to LA I-40 or I-10

Planning a trip West to see old friends departing April 1 (no jokes please) Do I chance I-40 or stick to I-10? I-40 shaves one day and 255 miles off the journey.
    Doyle, Deborah, & Lizzie

2016 Chevrolet
    4x4 3500 WT Duramax DRW crewcab
    2014 Arctic Fox 29.5K
    B&W RVK3500 Companion hitch

Both I-10 and I-40 are nice highways.

If changeable weather (especially ice / snow) is in the forecast, I would stick to the southern route of I-10.

We've traveled I-10 across the USA several times while towing our AF during the winter and have never had an issue.
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

I agree with RocklinDave, both are good options. I would plan the trip using both routes and make a decision a few days prior to departure based on the weather forecast. I made a similar cross country haul last April from Flagstaff to Boston and went I-40 to Oklahoma City then made the call to go a northern or southern route from there to Boston based on current weather conditions. I had both routes pre-planned with planned daily legs and went the north route eastbound and came home the southern route westbound.
      Kurt, Leslie and Cooper
      Flagstaff, AZ
      2018 27-5L
      2018 RAM 2500 6.7L

Comment

I had to go up to I-70 one year because of tornados, good thing there was good weather and no snow on I-70. Yes, you need to watch the weather and I recommend you have a weather alert radio in your RV especially at night so it can wake you up if there is bad weather coming. Keep in mind the weather alert warns by counties and not cities. I always seem to know were I am in relation to cities, but never know what county I am in. Agree with everyone else, I-40 and I-10 are both OK although I-40 is little rough in parts of Oklahoma and Arkansas.
        Kamahele
        Honolulu, HI
        5th Wheel Stored in Southern Nevada
        ​​​​​​2020 Arctic Fox 32-5M
        2008 GMC 3500 Duramax

Comment

Working...
        X