Shorter trip recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shorter trip recommendations?

We are working on our 2020 trailer travel plans and could use some recommendations.

We have a couple of longer trips in mind, but need help with shorter, long weekend trips that use Portland, OR as a base. Parks around here, especially along the coast tend to fill early. Here's where we are at:

January - one Fri./Sat. night trip to Cannon Beach RV Resort (2 nights)

February - Cape Lookout State Park - 2 nights

March - Eugene at Deerfield Park for 2 nights of concert-going, then 3 nights at Tillicum Beach Campground in Yachats

April 30th to May 3 - Maryhill State Park - this is our familiar go-to park as it's a quick drive from Portland and with enough advance planning, we can get a decent spot. Hiking, museum, winery, not necessarily in that order. (3 nights)

May 22 to 27 - Need a suggestion for or near Wheeler, OR. Our son gave us Railrider tickets for Saturday and we want to stay through until Wed. morning for our anniversary. (5 nights)

June 20 to June 28 - 4 nights in the Wallowas (dry-camping) and 4 nights at the La Grande rally

Nothing is reserved for after that point. We are waiting for reservations to open at our beloved Paulina Lake and will do that in September. We'll also probably head to the Steens Mountain area in September as well. Camp Sherman/Bend in October when the crowds have thinned out. Need to go past mosquito season, but before the snow.

We are probably more state park people than rv resort people. One of our goals for this year is to perfect our boondocking skills and possibly get Ruby set up for solar. We love to hike and another goal is to learn how to kayak. One of our kids gave Bill a guide book for astrotourism, so that's another thought.

Bill still works full-time, but has generous vacation days. We'd love suggestions that get us out of town for an extended weekend, maybe 3 to 4 nights at a time. Longer trip suggestions for the summer months that don't involve mosquitos are welcome. I love anywhere with water and access to funky bookstores. We also love history and geology.

Lisa and Bill (first-time trailer and truck owners, but long-time campers)

2004 Nash 19B - Progressive EMS-HW30C, Maxxis tires (LT), 2 new propane tanks, (2) 6-v golf cart batteries, TST 507 TPMS
    2011 Ram 1500 - Hemi with 5.7

How much driving time/miles are you willing to go for a long weekend?
    2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali 4x4 Diesel
    2017 Arctic Fox 22G.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammster View Post
      How much driving time/miles are you willing to go for a long weekend?
      It depends on number of nights, time of year/amount of light while parking. Three hours is probably good for a 2-3 night stay, so Camp Sherman/Bend for example. We split the driving, so drive time is less of an issue than parking in a small, dark campground with big trees and sharp rocks. In October, Bill had the privilege of threading Ruby through two trees with about 6 inches to spare on either side - in the dark. It was a learning experience. Four hours for 3-4 nights. I think the longest trip we've done pulling the trailer is 6 hours. Ruby and the Ram are a good match and unless there is a lot of wind or rain, we don't find towing to be very stressful. Set-up is fast.

We usually have Ruby home and plugged in for a couple of days before we leave. I pack her and if I've done it right, we can be out of here in about an hour after Bill gets home. He'll try to work a half day so he doesn't lose the time, but we can still leave before rush hour traffic.

Ideally, we'd like to take her out at least once a month.

2004 Nash 19B - Progressive EMS-HW30C, Maxxis tires (LT), 2 new propane tanks, (2) 6-v golf cart batteries, TST 507 TPMS

Comment

If you don't mind driving down to Linn County, there is an amazing county park called Riverbend County Park. It is just east of Sweet Home and just 4 miles east of Foster Lake; which is just outside (east) of Sweet Home. I would make reservations AFTER Labor Day, September 7th, to avoid all the kids. We actually have reservations for September 7th thru the 12th. The way the sites are angled, there is lots of privacy. Lots of plant growth/trees between the sites. We like the F section.
        2005 Dodge Diesel 3500: 5.9L Cummins Turbo-Diesel, 3.73 4WD 4SPD SRW, quad cab, long bed, B&W Companion Hitch. Rebuilt tranny, PakBrake Exhaust Brake, PakBrake Airbags w/ Wireless remote fill.

2017 Arctic Fox 27 5L: 4-Point Leveling System, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 30amp surge protector, Slide-Toppers, 2" Receiver, TPMS TST 507, ARP Controller, Sailun G rated tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Copper865 View Post
          If you don't mind driving down to Linn County, there is an amazing county park called Riverbend County Park. It is just east of Sweet Home and just 4 miles east of Foster Lake; which is just outside (east) of Sweet Home. I would make reservations AFTER Labor Day, September 7th, to avoid all the kids. We actually have reservations for September 7th thru the 12th. The way the sites are angled, there is lots of privacy. Lots of plant growth/trees between the sites. We like the F section.
          How would the park be in February? The F section isn't open, but you are right about there being a lot of privacy between sites. It looks like there are hiking trails and if the weather is bad, we can always read. It's about a 2 hour drive from home.

Comment

I'd think about Lassen Volcanic. Very nice CG but it needs to be done after the snow melts. You've probably done Crater Lake.
            James and Cindy Krämer
            North Florida
            Arctic Fox 25Y
            2012 Ford F350 6.7L

Comment

Nehalem Bay state park is a nice one. https://oregonstateparks.org/index.c...age&parkId=142

LL Stub Stewart is another nice one. https://oregonstateparks.org/index.c...Page&parkId=75

2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali 4x4 Diesel
              2017 Arctic Fox 22G.

Comment

Originally posted by AdventureGirl 55 View Post

How would the park be in February? The F section isn't open, but you are right about there being a lot of privacy between sites. It looks like there are hiking trails and if the weather is bad, we can always read. It's about a 2 hour drive from home.
                February is great!! You will definately have the park to yourselves. You are right, the F section is closed off season. The other side is nice too, just seems that during peak season, more kids are on that side. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike kids, I just like quiet. It has gotten VERY popular unfortunately and over the years we have seen a decline in how people care for the parks. They don't seem to know the rule "leave it better than you found it". Makes me sad.
                2005 Dodge Diesel 3500: 5.9L Cummins Turbo-Diesel, 3.73 4WD 4SPD SRW, quad cab, long bed, B&W Companion Hitch. Rebuilt tranny, PakBrake Exhaust Brake, PakBrake Airbags w/ Wireless remote fill.

2017 Arctic Fox 27 5L: 4-Point Leveling System, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 30amp surge protector, Slide-Toppers, 2" Receiver, TPMS TST 507, ARP Controller, Sailun G rated tires.

Comment

Originally posted by Hammster View Post
                  Nehalem Bay state park is a nice one. https://oregonstateparks.org/index.c...age&parkId=142

LL Stub Stewart is another nice one. https://oregonstateparks.org/index.c...Page&parkId=75
                  Now we really owe you coffee, or probably a glass of wine or two. We didn't know about Dairy Creek Campground in Stubb Stewart and that is very close to home. Maybe we'll keep Ruby loaded up and in the driveway after Cannon Beach in January and go check out Stubb Stewart the following weekend. A park that size would certainly give us some flexibility.

We'll need to revisit Nehalem Bay State Park as I have a vague memory of indifference. But that is probably due to the fact that for years we tent camped at the beautiful Nehalem Falls Campground until the Oregonian wrote about it as a "hidden gem." Now, you can never get a site.

Comment

Working...
                  X