Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boon-Docking in Cold Weather

Hey Gang,

First Post for me and appreciate the forum. We just returned from a trip to Killington, VT (see photo) and wanted to share all the things I learned (thanks for all the tips). We own a 25W that we pull with a Ford F450 and we were boon-docking with no hookups (temperatures ran from 12 to 34 degrees). In random order ....

1. Fill up your fresh water tank, disconnect from water and run your pump
    2. It is normal for Water pump to make noise when in use and recommend shutting it off when not in use
    3. Power: We ran a generator when we were up and shut it off at night. Battery was sufficient to run heat at 60 degrees for up to 11 hours
    4. Put blocks under your scissor jacks - blocks froze to the ground
    5. Only run your heated tanks (10-15 min) prior to dumping and only if at least 1/3 full. Otherwise you won't need them
    6. Keep the furnace running and lower the temperature when not in the RV
    7. Insulation pads for the vents work well
    8. Have a plan to store your trash
    9. Check all pipes for leaks and condensation - We had one small leak and one wet area (under bathroom sink) with moisture
    10. Keep cabinets with plumbing open at night (kitchen and bathroom); will help with condensation
    11. Have a plan on where to hang your coats - command-strip hangers work great
    12. You need a 4x4
    13. Run the fans when cooking to prevent moisture build up
    14. Bring extra gas for the generator
    15. Treat your diesel with anti-gel additive
    16. If your traveling and temps are above zero degrees you should be fine
    17. Turn on your hot water heater and off when not in use - water will stay warm for hours and you should have no issues with it freezing
    18. Disconnect shower nozzle and insulate your outside shower water supply
    19. Have fun, have fun, have fun ...

Thanks for reading, Frank
    Attached Files
    Frank Rodriguez
    2020 Northwood Arctic Fox 25W
    North Carolina
    2018 Ford 4x4 F-450 Diesel

Thanks for posting your winter boondock camping list. We just had our first below-freezing night here in Arizona. We're on full hookups though so we could afford to be a little piggy on the power and water. I filled the the fresh water tank yesterday and disconnected and drained the hoses. I broke my pressure regulator and two filter canisters two winters ago because I didn't do that. Ran the AC tank heaters last night although I don't think I needed to because we barely got below freezing.
    Steve and Shelley. Minnesota
    2017 RAM 3500 LLH CC 4x4 LB DRW 6.7ctd Aisin 4.10 Air Level aka Shrek
    2018 AF 27-5L, HW50C ems, Maxxis Tires, TST 507, dual AC, tank heaters, Rear Camera, Toppers, 640w Solar, Victron MP 3000 Inverter, MPPT 150/85 solar charge controller, CCGX Color Monitor,BMV702 Battery Monitor
    , 440AH Lifeline AGM, aka Fiona

Comment

Originally posted by TornadoFarmAF View Post
      [...]
      15. Treat your diesel with anti-gel additive
      16. If your traveling and temps are above zero degrees you should be fine
      Thanks for the reminder on fuel temperatures. I've only had a diesel truck for 6 years, but I'm usually in a mild climate, so fuel gelling is about the farthest thing from my mind. The coldest temperatures I've seen in my diesel was about 5
      2017 Arctic Fox 25Y
      Chassis: Firestone Transforce HT LT225/75-16, Blue Ox SwayPro 1500, EezTire TPMS, BAL 28217 recessed tire carrier, 40K miles
      Electrical: EMS-HW30C surge protector, 800W solar, Victron BMV-712, Victron MPPT 100/50, Victron MultiPlus 3000, Fullriver 415 Ah AGM

2013 Silverado 2500HD LML Duramax, manual 4x4, crew cab, std box, added 2nd alternator and 2-gauge charge path, 130K miles

Comment

I've run diesel trucks since 1998. Been as low as -25 and have had to plug truck in and prime engine, but never had one gel up on me. Fuel in the northern climes is winterized and has always been sufficient for me.

When we boondock in the cold, we try to plan on oven dinners that take a long time to cook. We insulate the roof vents and slightly crack open one window. We try not to shower if we're only out for a couple of nights. We try not to boondock if the daytime highs will be below freezing.

Ken and Rita Madsen
        2018 GMC 3500 Duramax, 2016 27-5L

Comment

I found that the majority of noise made by my FW pump is from the output hose banging
          on whatever. I used some string and tied it up off the floor, leaving about 4" of slack so
          as not to put any strain on it. Pump is now very quiet.
          Kim + Betsy
          I do all my own stunts....just ask my wife.
          2017 AF 35-5Z
          2017 F450 Lariat

Comment

Regarding diesel anti-gel... I got caught in Oklahoma on the way down to Arizona with temps way below what I planned for and I only had unwinterized diesel 2 in the truck. I asked around town and nobody had winterized diesel. I had a couple of mopar diesel gas treatments with me that I had never used. I popped one open and stuck it in the diesel fuel port and quickly discovered that the neck wasn't long enough to open the flapper valve down there... made a little mess. Now I learned that I have an oem long neck funnel for just that circumstance. One other time I needed winterized diesel in Montana but it wasn't available yet so I did half and half... diesel 1 and diesel 2. It's an approved solution right in the operating manual.
            Steve and Shelley. Minnesota
            2017 RAM 3500 LLH CC 4x4 LB DRW 6.7ctd Aisin 4.10 Air Level aka Shrek
            2018 AF 27-5L, HW50C ems, Maxxis Tires, TST 507, dual AC, tank heaters, Rear Camera, Toppers, 640w Solar, Victron MP 3000 Inverter, MPPT 150/85 solar charge controller, CCGX Color Monitor,BMV702 Battery Monitor
            , 440AH Lifeline AGM, aka Fiona

Comment

Working...
            X