Travel West from Ft. McCoy Wisconsin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel West from Ft. McCoy Wisconsin

I am traveling back to Olympia WA from Ft. McCoy WI in August and considering a route that takes me through Minneapolis, to Grand Forks ND, to Minot ND, heading northwest up into Canada. Asking if anyone has traveled across North Dakota on ND 2 and up into Canada northwest of Minot. I like to stay at military campgrounds, and there two in North Dakota. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Diesel, Automatic Four Wheel Drive Quad Cab
    2016 AF 25Y

No experience with the FamCamps in the Dakotas, but there is one in Great Falls Mt. Most of the little towns along Hwy 2 in Mt have a city park or fairgrounds that allows overnight. Usually no hook-ups and free. Canada north of Minot is kinda flat. Maybe cut north around Shelby? Canadian Rockier are beautiful and the Provincial Parks are very nice. Expect some crowds this time of year. There are several Canadian Heritage sites in Alberta that were done when they had too many petro dollars to spend and they are worth a stop. Also a bit of dinosaur activity around Drumheller. There are basically two routes west thru Canada. West out of Calgary or a serpentine route just north of the border. Both are good trips.
    Ken and Rita Madsen
    2018 GMC 3500 Duramax, 2016 27-5L

Comment

Thank you for the great insight, and suggestions. I think that is exactly what I will do. We really like Glacier and have heard good things about the Canadian Rockies.
      2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Diesel, Automatic Four Wheel Drive Quad Cab
      2016 AF 25Y

Comment

Give yourself plenty of time if you are going to be crossing at Chief Mountain. It is a training facility for Canadian Customs. We had to bring out our slides while they went through the rig for 2.5 hours once. They did, however, put everything back exactly as they found it and took our firewood - very polite folks up there. We were going to Waterton Townsite campground that day so no great inconvenience.
        2019 Arctic Fox 27-5L - 4 point leveling - Onan QG 3600 Genset - 160w Solar - Rear view camera - 4x 6v batteries - Vertamax 3Kw PSW Inverter - RVLock V4 - 4x HossPads RV jack pads - Andersen Levelers - Cacagoo TPMS - Progressive EMS-PT30X - 2002 F-250 Crew Cab Long Bed 7.3L - S&B Cold Air Intake - 4" Bassani X-haust turbo-back system - Air Lift 5k rear bags - SCT tuner - 16k Valley Power Pull hitch - Custom made bed-forward rack with Eide Boat Loader - Klamath 14S Deluxe fishing boat

Comment

Earlier this week we took 2 from Grand forks SD to whitefish MT.
          Road in SD was four lane divided highway and went to two lane with some construction at MT

At browning we took 464 then 89 to the boarder and 89 all the way back.
          89 has road construction between Browning and St Mary ( not all of it but that is the section ) widening and rerouting some of it.
          Pic at the boarder looking to MT.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	buff.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.01 MB ID:	292185
          2018 GMC 3500 SB diesel
          2017 Arctic fox 27-5l 50Amp 5.5 Gen, 4 6 volt, 450W solar,ARPrv,michelin xps,built in surge suppressor, Tank Heat Pads and 4 Point Leveling System

My 27-5l Manual

Comment

Art, I believe you meant North Dakota, ND not SD.
            2014 Dodge Laramie 3500 Crew cab SRW 4x4, 6.7 CTD, Eng. Brake, 68RE, 3.42, B&W turn over ball with
            companion hitch, Herd Bumper, Tork-Lift Stable Load Quick Disconnects, 91 Gal RDS aux. fuel tank.
            KD Links X1 HD Dash Cam, onboard Viair 450C air comp with 2.5 gallon tank, Centramatic wheel balancers
            2007- 295E A/F, Steadyfast stabilizers, Onan, Equa-Flex suspension, Trail-Air Pin Box
            TST 507 RV TPMS, LT235-85R-16E HT3 Cooper Tires
            sigpic, Centramatic wheel balancers

Comment

Originally posted by triplel0455 View Post
              Art, I believe you meant North Dakota, ND not SD.
              Yep
              2018 GMC 3500 SB diesel
              2017 Arctic fox 27-5l 50Amp 5.5 Gen, 4 6 volt, 450W solar,ARPrv,michelin xps,built in surge suppressor, Tank Heat Pads and 4 Point Leveling System

My 27-5l Manual

Comment

Working...
              X