Looking for a Salt Lake City bypass route

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for a Salt Lake City bypass route

Drove south I-15 through Salt Lake City and after the slalom course of narrowed lanes with a wide body Arctic Fox and semis on both sides, I'm looking for a bypass route around that mess for my northbound return trip. Anyone have a good bypass route??

I will gladly go extra miles to avoid that white knuckle experience.
    John & Paulette
    2017 ArcticFox 25R
    TST 507 TPMS, EMS-HW30C
    2008 5.7L 4x4 Toyota Tundra Crewmax

So this doesn't totally bypass SLC but I always take 215 and 67 also known as belt route and legacy parkway.
    It does bypass the biggest Interchange and legacy is a new nice drive with nothing over 4 axles allowed and is 55 mph.

To give you an idea of what it bypasses
    https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Meko...856936!3e0!5i1

Getting google to tell you to take 67 is a different story.
    2018 GMC 3500 SB diesel
    2017 Arctic fox 27-5l 50Amp 5.5 Gen, 4 6 volt, 450W solar,ARPrv,michelin xps,built in surge suppressor, Tank Heat Pads and 4 Point Leveling System

My 27-5l Manual

Comment

We've looked for a way around SLC for the last 4 winters as we make our migration from NW Montana to Yuma. Haven't found one yet. If we have lots of time and the weather is good, we have gone via central Nevada and central Utah. Both routes take a couple of weeks to really enjoy the journey. The Nevada route is lonely. The Utah route is quite scenic and gives us a chance to stop in Cody and Moab, both of which we enjoy. If we want or need to make the trip in a week or less, we just plan on the 90 minutes of terror as we go thru SLC. We usually bypass Vegas by going along Lake Mead. Campgrounds and weather are both good by the time we get there.

My usual SLC strategy is keep one lane in from the right and keep my following interval. I speed up or slow down to avoid the semi on both sides syndrome. I try to flow with the traffic until they get above 70. That's kind of my limit since we are usually towing the Jeep behind the AF. Usually la few of the SLC drivers will wave as they go past. Some even use their whole hand.
      Ken and Rita Madsen
      2018 GMC 3500 Duramax, 2016 27-5L AF

Comment

I avoid big city interstates when ever possible and have stayed outside of Salt Lake City several times. When I go through the area NB I get on 189 in Prove and go through Heber City. I make a stop at a nice state CG, Jordanelle SP and continue north to 80 then 84 getting back on I-15 in Ogden. Takes longer but nice scenery. I just reverse it SB.
        2003 Arctic Fox 30u with too many extra's and changes to mention. 2012 Ram 3500, Snug Top Camper

Comment

Originally posted by ramduk View Post
          I avoid big city interstates when ever possible and have stayed outside of Salt Lake City several times. When I go through the area NB I get on 189 in Prove and go through Heber City. I make a stop at a nice state CG, Jordanelle SP and continue north to 80 then 84 getting back on I-15 in Ogden. Takes longer but nice scenery. I just reverse it SB.
          I looked at that route too. Think that is the way we will try NB. Thanks for the tip on Jordanelle SP.

John
          John & Paulette
          2017 ArcticFox 25R
          TST 507 TPMS, EMS-HW30C

Comment

Check on reservations at Jordenelle......they get busy on the weekends and during the summer. Heber is a nice town to resupply.
            2003 Arctic Fox 30u with too many extra's and changes to mention. 2012 Ram 3500, Snug Top Camper

Comment

For anyone passing thru Ogden on the north side of SLC, make sure to plan for a stop off I-15 exit 349.

Nils Swedish Creamery. They are a couple of big rig easy miles west of the interstate. They are across from a really nice city park with very wide streets for easy and safe parking.

BEST PEACH ICE CREAM EVER. They have super creamy usual flavors as well as seasonal offerings…like the peach.

2414 N 4350 W, Plain City, UT 84404
              nilsswedishcreamery.com
              +1 801-814-0882
              2017 Arctic Fox 1150 Wet Bath with Fox Landing, 2.5 Onan genset, 11K AC, Torklift tiedowns, Fastguns, 510 Watts Solar, Victron MPPT, LiFeBlue 300Ah battery.
              Previous 2007 AF 990.
              Previous other brand 5vr.

2007 Dodge Quad Cab 3500, DRW, 4X4, 5.9 CTD, SunCoast 48RE, 4.10 rear, BD exhaust brake, Amsoil oil bypass, Firestone airbags with 1 gallon compressor, Rancho shocks, Stableloads, SuperHitch.

Comment

Back home in Montana. Best laid plans, etc., the day we planned to go the Heber City, Jordanelle State Park route around SLC was cold, rainy with possible snow on the mountain roads, so ended up taking I-215 belt route around SLC proper. It was so much better than I-15. Didn't white knuckle at all and missed most of the road construction activity. Planned to hit the 67 Legacy Hwy, but was in the wrong lane. My navigator was texting. There ought to be a law against texting while navigating.

Thanks again for all the input.
                John & Paulette
                2017 ArcticFox 25R
                TST 507 TPMS, EMS-HW30C

Comment

Working...
                X