Route Question Colorado

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Route Question Colorado

Out of Grand Junction Colorado does anyone have towing experience via US 50 to 285 into Denver. Vail Pass looks like possible chain controls tomorrow and seeking a way around I70. Thanks
    2012 Arctic Fox 295T Fifth Wheel 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 3.73 Rear. New BD Trans 2018. Upgraded 2 piece BD manifold & BD exhaust brake 2019. Air Lift Air Springs. TPMS. Girshwin's Ella Fitzhound on board

We've towed over I-70 from Denver west, and the highest interstate pass is almost 12,000ft. Any snow / ice forecast should be taken seriously.

Sorry, never traveled US50/285.
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

I live just east of Grand Junction. I-70 has a few passes but all doable...if if if the weather is ok. If there is any snow, ice, chain law do not go that way. Even if you avoid an accident half the time someone else gets into an accident and you will be stuck. Hwy 50 (Montrose to Gunnison) you will be on a ok highway unless wind and ice. From Gunnison you will have to go over Monarch, an easy pass if no snow or ice then to Hwy 285 into Denver. This also has a pass Kenosha but lower. The biggest problem with Hwy 285 can be wind until the canyon which is moderately winding.. but if everyone is avoiding I-70 it can be a nightmare with trucks and vehicles that do not want to chain up. These are the only two ways in and out of Denver. Hate to say it but the best thing is to wait for good weather and roads. It snows, gets cold here and within a day usually sunny and everything melts this time of year. That being said, take your time.
      2017 ArcticFox 25R
      2016 Ram 2500 Diesel

Comment

LaneyFM, good info thank you. Iíll be looking at it early am tomorrow. Do you have a preferred source (phone number or website) to determine if either road is a go? Have no objection to the longer route if we can get through. At this point Iím seeing I70 as snow showers and 38 degrees. 50/285 appears much warmer temps.
        2012 Arctic Fox 295T Fifth Wheel 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie 5.9 Cummins 3.73 Rear. New BD Trans 2018. Upgraded 2 piece BD manifold & BD exhaust brake 2019. Air Lift Air Springs. TPMS. Girshwin's Ella Fitzhound on board

Comment

Online you can take a look at https://www.cotrip.org, it will have cameras , road conditions and fairly up to date information.. they tend to be conservative so we most often use the cameras. No rain/snow materialized today although predicted. I think the Hwy 50 Hwy 285 will be clear of any road problems whereas I-70 may have snow/rain. Good luck, be safe.
          2017 ArcticFox 25R
          2016 Ram 2500 Diesel

Comment

Arrived into Denver, no issues. Decided to roll I70 and outside of a couple snow flurries it was peaceful. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
            X