Online Reservations - yes or no?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Online Reservations - yes or no?

I have some reservations about using online booking for some of the mom and pop campgrounds. Does anybody else feel this way?

I want to reserve a campground in upstate NY in July but they don't open up for another 2 weeks. I'd like to go ahead and book it now online but, I am unsure if I should. It is a secured site but the lock isn't green - green from IE means it has another layer of protection. It looks like a reliable reservation company but, again, I'm a bit nervous. I usually call if I have the option except with NPs and state campgrounds, then I use their online booking, usually Reserve America.

I was just wondering if I was the only paranoid person in this group or not.
    Preston & Teresa
    Traveling dogs: Jerrica and Riley; Stay at home watch cats: Grayboy, Blackie and Magic
    2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L with Slide Out Toppers; Alumaguard Main Awning, 15K Low Pro Air Conditioner; Holding Tank Heat Pads; Fan Vent w/Remote/Tstat/Rain Sensor - Bedroom; 50 Amp Service; 4 Point Leveling System; Cross-stitch sofa; 2 " Receiver.

2015 Silverado 3500 DRW Diesel

I don't worry about it. My maximum exposure from a credit card being stolen is $50 and the credit card companies waive that. I have had my card used once, by someone who had somehow got the number, and it was a simple phone call to get the charge taken off and a new card with a different number sent to me. The credit card companies are not nearly as concerned about theft as we are. They see if as a cost of doing business.
    2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
    2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
    2018 Arctic Fox 29L; Traded in
    *2001 Arctic Fox 29V; Sold
    South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

Have never had a problem with using an on-line reservation system..... I have used it plenty. Agree with ^

I would assume you change your cc card supplier's website and change your password frequently.
      BPofMD - Bud & Penny / Actively Retired Navy Vet
      2005 F250 6.0 - TorqLift Upper Overloads
      2007 Silver Fox 29-E 5th Wheel / Anderson Ultimate Hitch
      2015 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Comment

Whatís the name of the campground in upstate?
        2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD Dually 6 liter Gas, DC, LB, 4.10's, 2016 AF 990

Comment

It's Red's Twilight on the Erie RV Resort in Macedon, NY; and I went ahead and booked online!
          Preston & Teresa
          Traveling dogs: Jerrica and Riley; Stay at home watch cats: Grayboy, Blackie and Magic
          2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L with Slide Out Toppers; Alumaguard Main Awning, 15K Low Pro Air Conditioner; Holding Tank Heat Pads; Fan Vent w/Remote/Tstat/Rain Sensor - Bedroom; 50 Amp Service; 4 Point Leveling System; Cross-stitch sofa; 2 " Receiver.

2015 Silverado 3500 DRW Diesel

Comment

We've never had an issue with booking on-line reservations over the years, using a credit card.

With RV'g becoming popular again, if you don't reserve a site several months in advance, you won't get into the popular / better RV campgrounds & resorts.

When we started longer travels, we got a 'no annual fee' credit card. That card is NEVER used and is kept in our RV safe. If you never use a card, hackers don't have access to the information on retail computer systems.

That 'emergency card' is only to be used if our regular card is hacked.
            Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Over the years Iíve had Debit and Credit cards compromised. As mentioned you are protected on credit cards and most financial companies have protection for debit cards (mine which is a smaller credit union does). I wouldnít be concerned to the small mom and pops camp grounds. You probably have more exposure in handing a card to the wait staff at a restaurant (cell cameras make it fast and easy to snatch the card info)

I use only one card when purchasing anything online so my other one isnít impacted. At restaurants I only use a debit card at local places I know or places I control the card.
              Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank, Titan Disc Brakes, MorRyde SRE4000

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4 B&W Companion

Comment

I have been using cards for years, both online and in person. We never had a card compromised until last year. Since then, 3 cards have been compromised, 1 of them twice. And here is the kicker, the one that has been cracked twice never leaves my wallet. It has never been used, never swiped or inserted, or used online. It is a backup like others have said, and never used. One of the other cards that was cracked, just happened to be within 1 day of the card that never gets used. Interesting huh???

So all three of these cards are the new chip cards. And two times they have been compromised was when we were in Salt Lake City. The one card was used as it is our business card, everything goes on it while we are working. The other that was cracked at the same time as I say never leaves my wallet. We are convinced, against what both my banks tell me, is that these scanners that people carry do indeed work. All they have to do is be within a certain distance of you and wahlaa, your hacked. I sure wished we could go back to using just the magnetic strip, but that will never happen.

So bottom line, we have never had any problems with ordering things online, and we do a ton of online ordering/payments. Make sure the website has a https in the address bar, not that it really stops anything, it just tells you that the website took the time and money to be registered with a security company and passed their investigation which lowers the risk a lot. The https is not a total guarantee, but without it I would never use my card to buy anything online. Even this site has a security code installed (notice the https?), and we don't take any money through the site. But it is now part of running a verified site, and is the only way our readers and members will feel comfortable using the site.
                2006 Chevy HD2500 DuramaxLBZ-Allison ExCab Longbed LT3 4x4
                Line-X, A.R.E. CX Shell, KargoMaster Rack, Prodigy
                2005 Arctic Fox 22H, Yamaha EF3000iSEB
                Celia's Gourmet Foods
                Gourmet Barrel Aged Balsamic Vinegars & Infused Olive Oils

Comment

Originally posted by Shotgun View Post
                  We are convinced, against what both my banks tell me, is that these scanners that people carry do indeed work. All they have to do is be within a certain distance of you and wahlaa, your hacked. .
                  So after doing some investigative work today online, I find out that the only way a scanner as mentioned above will work is if you indeed have a RFID type card. Turns out that there are not very many of them at all, like 5% or something. Most cards are EMV and use a contact method of communications so a non-contact reader or scanner finds nothing from them. If your card is a contactless card, meaning you just wave it over a reader without having to insert it, then yes you have RFID enabled card. Look at your card, if it has anything like the attached picture than you have in fact a RFID card.

Click image for larger version  Name:	main-qimg-4e8cd52d76efd1b4812bdb885118128d.gif Views:	0 Size:	6.6 KB ID:	288958

So bottom line is, my bank is correct. There are hundreds of ways thief's can obtain your card info, but using a distant type scanner on my EMV chip enabled cards do nothing. So much for needing to buy a RFID Blocking type wallet or card sleeve, they will not help.
                  2006 Chevy HD2500 DuramaxLBZ-Allison ExCab Longbed LT3 4x4
                  Line-X, A.R.E. CX Shell, KargoMaster Rack, Prodigy
                  2005 Arctic Fox 22H, Yamaha EF3000iSEB
                  Celia's Gourmet Foods
                  Gourmet Barrel Aged Balsamic Vinegars & Infused Olive Oils

Comment

Working...
                  X