Good Sam Kills Travel Planner

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Sam Kills Travel Planner

Good Sam kills travel planner and says a better system will be available at the end of 2019. I wouldn't bet on it. Remember "Good Sam Rest in Peace" article.

http://view.e.goodsamclub.com/?qs=4a...63a2b1a5e055db
    Glen & Linda
    2018 27-5L Arctic Fox,
    2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD D/A 4X4 Ext Cab
    Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch
    Blogs: Ongoing: http://glelin-travels1.blogspot.com/
    Alaska: http://glelin-travels.blogspot.com/

I sent an email to the Good Sam customer service about 9 months ago, regarding their disabling the mapping feature of the travel planner. I was told then that the "improved" mapping system would be up and running in 'a few weeks'.

The issue at that time was, when entering a region to find a park, a list of parks would be displayed, but no map. The mapping feature was handy to see where the parks were located compared to each other, especially in unfamiliar cities / states.

Appears Good Sam is more interested in RV sales (where the big $$$ is), rather than selling toilet paper, BBQ's and managing RV park websites.
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Hmm, just got a renewal notice...maybe I will pass on a year and see what happens. I did use the route planner on occasion but was never really happy with it.
      2016 Arctic Fox 32-5M, 300 watt Zamp Solar Kit, 2 T105 Trojan 6 volts, 5.5 Onan LP Generator, 6pt leveling system, 2nd 13.5k A/C, Slide Toppers, Fireplace, King Bed, Central Vac. Hardwired Surge Guard Model 34560.

2016 Ford F-450 Lariat. B&W Companion Hitch. Remax Bed Roll Cover, Bed Carpet.

Florida based

Comment

Originally posted by RocklinDave View Post
        I sent an email to the Good Sam customer service about 9 months ago, regarding their disabling the mapping feature of the travel planner. I was told then that the "improved" mapping system would be up and running in 'a few weeks'.

The issue at that time was, when entering a region to find a park, a list of parks would be displayed, but no map. The mapping feature was handy to see where the parks were located compared to each other, especially in unfamiliar cities / states.

Appears Good Sam is more interested in RV sales (where the big $$$ is), rather than selling toilet paper, BBQ's and managing RV park websites.
        Or dealing with cranky RV owners!
        Jim & Grace
        2011 2500HD 6.6L Duramax (SOLD)
        2016 AF 27-5L, Hensley BD-3 Hitch, 4 Point Leveling, Titan Disc Brakes (SOLD)
        2018 Audi Q5
        2008 Miniature Golden Doodle

We forget all too soon the things we thought we would never forget....

Comment

Originally posted by Jim7411 View Post

Or dealing with cranky RV owners!
          The cranky ones will most likely be the RV park owners, who pay to be part of the GS park search website.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Slide-Toppers, Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

I won't be renewing my membership. It was handy to get free shipping on $49 orders. They send me so much junk mail, though, that they turned me off.
            I just don't need anything else from them. Their website is handy to look at pictures and prices, though..
            2007 Nash 22H located in a suburban trailer park
            Two 160 w. solar panels, two 6 volt GC batteries,
            double insulated windows, 2015 Norcold refer.

Comment

In 2011-12 Trailer Life had a program "Road Trip Navigator" which was developed by Undertow Software. It included the complete Trailerlife/Good Sam campground directory. It was a great planning, routing, mapping and campground resource. When Good Sam was taken over by Camping World they killed that program. Undertow Software tried to keep it alive but without the Trailerlife/Good Sam directory it was of little value and they killed their version.

Good Sam came out with their version of a planner which for the most part was lacking in my opinion compared to the "Road Trip Navigator" which I still use even though the directory is out of date.

From Undertow Software:
              Please note that the Trailer Life Navigator product has been discontinued by Trailer Life and so has the Agreement between Undertow Software and Trailer Life. Undertow Software is no longer providing support for this product. You can contact Trailer Life with any questions you may have about it.

It was killed as it wasn't a cash cow and anything that Camping World purchased that didn't provide lots of cash was gone. If they do develop a new program it will have a hefty price tag.
              Glen & Linda
              2018 27-5L Arctic Fox,
              2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD D/A 4X4 Ext Cab
              Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch
              Blogs: Ongoing: http://glelin-travels1.blogspot.com/
              Alaska: http://glelin-travels.blogspot.com/

Comment

Rest in Peace Good Sam, and please stop filling my mailbox with your ads!
                Neil and Marilyn and Beamer and Tuxie (felines)
                2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax 6.6L 4x4 Double Cab LB, 5th Spring, Ride Rite Air Bags, Tires: 275/75R18 125/122 3640 lb rated, 40 gal Transfer Flow Aux Tank.

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L, Progressive EMS HW30C Surge Protector, TST 507 TPMS w/Color, Sailun Tires G rated, 2 Smart Tool 2000's, Titan Disk Brakes.

Of all the things I've lost. I miss my mind the most :-)

Comment

Originally posted by GIandlj View Post
                  ...It was killed as it wasn't a cash cow and anything that Camping World purchased that didn't provide lots of cash was gone. If they do develop a new program it will have a hefty price tag...
                  Even though we don't often stay at a KOA campground, the KOA reservation system is first rate.

It allows a search of an area, with a list of nearby KOA's using a mapping system, also lists current prices / ratings per night, nearby attractions and photos.

Even Good Sam's prior system was no match to KOA - Maybe GS could learn something ?

Comment

Just signed on to check things our, the site now says the new version will be available April 10th (weíll see)

I did notice a survey so gave them some feed back. Hopefully we will see a decent product as Iíve found it a good tool along with some others to use for trip planning
                    Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank, Titan Disc Brakes, MorRyde SRE4000

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4 B&W Companion

Comment

I had the same feeling - they will likely bring it back with a fee for using the new and improved version. I use the free version of RoadTrippers too because they have good trip guides and articles. Knowing that we will have very limited cell and Internet service on our trip to Alaska, I thought I would be smart and buy RV Trip Wizard, since you can export the trip to a Garmin GPS. I'm struggling with the learning curve of exporting to GPS and having trouble finding good instructions. If you can't export the trip, it's not much better than the free versions in my opinion. It might be ok for a trip in the continental US, but it's web based, so if you're traveling in areas with limited internet and cell service, it's useless without the import/export feature. I just discovered and am playing with the trip planner on myscenicdrives.com. It's similar to the other free trip planners and has an export to GPS feature that will allow you to export to a Garmin. I don't know yet if it has unlimited stops.
                      Kay
                      Kirk n Kay and Mickey, the big black lab
                      2012 F-250
                      2016 27-5L
                      www.knkstravels.com

Comment

I used to export from Mapsource to a GPS and discovered that I had to change the file type from the default. That is, a different .xxx at the end of the file.

The right option was offered in a drop down menu.

Maybe it is the same with you.
                        2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
                        2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
                        2018 Arctic Fox 29L; Traded in
                        *2001 Arctic Fox 29V; Sold
                        South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

Originally posted by Grizzer10 View Post
                          I used to export from Mapsource to a GPS and discovered that I had to change the file type from the default. That is, a different .xxx at the end of the file.

The right option was offered in a drop down menu.

Maybe it is the same with you.
                          Thanks for the heads up. I did try the different file types. It also suggested that I use Garmin Basecamp, but that wasn't any more helpful. I'll try again in a day or two.
                          Kirk n Kay and Mickey, the big black lab
                          2012 F-250
                          2016 27-5L
                          www.knkstravels.com

Comment

I recommend checking out www.parkadvisor.com as a completely free RV Park and Campground data base with no advertisements. Data can be viewed in list mode or map mode. I use map mode and cross reference the locations with Google. I then use the locations I have gathered and load them as Points of Interest in Garminís BaseCamp. I also create routes in BaseCamp using the POIs. Then I send those POIs and routes to my Garmin 770. Itís a fair amount of work but I really enjoy doing it.
                            Kurt, Leslie and Cooper
                            Flagstaff, AZ
                            2018 27-5L
                            2018 RAM 2500 6.7L

Comment

Use Good Sam but never the travel planner. Just discuss with my wife where we want to go and she plans it.
                              2015 GMC Sierra 3500HD Dually 6 liter Gas, DC, LB, 4.10's, 2016 AF 990

Comment

Working...
                              X