UP Michigan information

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UP Michigan information

I am wanting information on UP Michigan. We live in Arkansas and looking for a place to pull and leave our Fox Mountain year round
    and travel to and stay during the summer months. Have never been to area and I am seeking information on area, campgrounds, who to contact such as Chamber of Commerce, etc.

Thanks

I am familiar with the Ironwood/Black River Harbor area on Lake Superior, which has a lovely FS campground. This is a beautiful, heavily forested area with beautiful beaches and rugged shoreline. It has been a while, but as I remember it (often visiting relatives there), it was not over-run with tourists. So there are many positive and attractive things about the UP. But there are aspects of the area that I personally didn't like. Lake Superior is beautiful, with crystal clear water, which is much too cold to enjoy, even on the hottest day. The sand on the beach can burn your butt while the water is too cold to enjoy. Then, depending on the season and wind conditions, there are very nasty, biting black flies that come in swarms. Too, humidity can be very high amidst thunder and lightening storms. All this said, you are hearing from someone who loves the northwest, with its mountains, sunshine, and low humidity. So take my observations with a grain of salt.
    Shane and Patty
    and Maddy the Labradoodle
    2003, 27-5L AF
    Chevy 2007, 3500 Dooley 4X4 LT3, Crew Cab, Duramax/Allison
    Two Honda Eu 2000

Comment

There may be a heavy snow load on the fifth wheel in the winter. I grew up in Traverse City but have lived out west fo about 40 years. I hiked the Pictured Rocks national lakeshore. Very pretty but the water was always freezing.
      GMC 2500HD SLT Double Cab 2017 - Arctic Fox 22G 2018

Comment

"There may be a heavy snow load on the fifth wheel in the winter. I grew up in Traverse City but have lived out west fo about 40 years. I hiked the Pictured Rocks national lakeshore. Very pretty but the water was always freezing."

Black Flies and Sand Flies from May thru July. We stayed at one cg which had a sign waaaay up in a tree saying "snow level on some not too far in the past date. I don't recall the date. It was 15 to 20 feet up. Of course you can go to some state parks here in FL and see the same sign except it says "Water level during the flood of 85" or somesuch. But such floods are rare, 10 ft snow levels or more aren't in the Yupper. So don't plan on seeing your RV from November to April every year. The place is beautiful tho. We plan on visiting it next summer but in the last half of July or early August on our way home.
        James and Cindy Krämer
        North Florida
        Arctic Fox 25Y
        2012 Ford F350 6.7L

Comment

We lived in Northern Wi. for a number of years and traveled to the UP often. I agree with everything said above--however would amplify a few things. The UP is a bit, well let's say --Rustic--if you like to fish, or hunt, hike, and enjoy some solitude and have a wife with a sense of humor you'll be in heaven. However
          the black flies can hang around in big gangs and draw blood, the mosquito's in some lowland areas can make you crazy. They are not kidding about snow--
          many areas get well over 100 inches and it doesn't go away after a week or two. You'll notice a lot of homes with plywood stacked outside--that's cause after they've shoveled snow as high as they can, out the front walk, up goes the plywood and people walk in and out through a tunnel. Having said that,the painted rocks area is beautiful, the "Porkies" are great, Fayette is worth a trip for the ghost town, and if you like Pasties you'll never go hungry. Also summers can suddenly turn chilly pack some cool weather gear
          for your summer stay. Typically camping close to either Lake Michigan or Superior will help knock the bugs back a bit. Did I mention the Bears? Finally don't miss the Bear stew supper at "Herb's Never Inn" in Bruce's Crossing, unless you're a lawyer--- they get charged double....
          https://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotels-g...an-Hotels.html

http://www.exploringthenorth.com/porkiesum/intro.html
          04 AF 26x,
          01 Dodge 2500 w/cummins,
          and a dog named Maggie.

Comment

Working...
          X