I-5 TRAFFIC ADVISORY - Redding Area

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I-5 TRAFFIC ADVISORY - Redding Area

If traveling along I-5 in the Redding (Northern California) area, be advised there is a large out-of-control wildland fire just west of the interstate.

The fire is only three days old, but has burnt over 70 square miles, destroyed 65+ structures and killed two firefighters. The fire is threatening numerous towns and immediately threatening another 4,900 structures. Per CalFire, the fire is very active and out of control.

SR299 (Eureka to Redding) is closed.

If traveling through the Redding area in the next couple weeks, might be a good idea to monitor I-5 roadway updates, since any detours would considerably add to travel times.
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Evacuated areas as of 8am today.
    Stay away and stay safe.

Evacuations are in place for the following areas:
    • Community of French Gulch
    • Highway 299 west of Trinity Mountain Road to the base of Buckhorn Summit
    • Whiskey Creek Road to include the boat launch/day use areas
    • South along Swasey Drive from Highway 299 to Placer Road
    • West along Placer Road from Swasey Drive to Prospect Drive
    • North from Prospect Drive to encompass Middle Park Ranch Land Area
    • West of Overhill Drive and North of Highway 299
    • North of Highway 299 and west of Spinmaker Road to the end of Harlan Drive
    • Keswick Dam East to Counter Lane, north of Quartz Hill Road
    • North of Sacramento River to Keswick Dam Road, west of Market Street and Lake Blvd to Keswick Dam
    • North at Lake Blvd and Oasis Road to Pine Grove Avenue and Walker Mine Road west of Cascade Road/I-5
    • Pine Grove Avenue north on Lake Blvd to Shasta Dam incorporating Summit City, North Belt Line and Flannigan Road
    • Intersection of Placer Road and Buenaventura Blvd west to Thompson Lane Buenaventura Blvd from Placer Road to Westside Road
    • Westside Road to Kenyon Drive incorporating Country Heights and West Redding neighborhood
    • Buenaventura Blvd to Highway 299 to Placer Road
    2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali 4x4 Diesel
    2017 Arctic Fox 22G.

Comment

Seems like another summer the West Coast is burning up. Maybe I can deduct my water bill as a fire prevention expense....
      Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4 B&W Companion

Comment

Really sad to see this. We enjoy going to Redding once a year and bicycling the Sacramento River Trail up to and beyond the Keswick danm.
        Doesn't look good for firefighters with the heat and winds. We stay at JGW RV park and it's in the south part of Redding so it's safe so far.
        2012 Ram 2500 CTD
        2013 Fox Mountain 235 RLS

Comment

The damage done here will be staggering when it's all said and done. The entire west side of town is in the fire line. We live east of town near the airport so we see all the comings and goings all fire season long. This was kind of a sleeper for a couple of days then the wind changed and the temps went up, in a couple of hours everything changed and caught everyone off guard. The burned areas are loaded with a huge trail system and I'm afraid they will be out of commission for a long time due to tree fall hazard and then all the mitigation efforts for when the rains come. The fire still has increasing chance of reaching the dam too. Right now the south end of town is actively being evacuated along SR 273, west of I-5. Freeway is fine for now in town, a bigger issue for I-5 is farther north near Dunsmuir where they have one side of I-5 closed for highway construction and split the remaining n/b side into one lane in each direction. That's a real mess up there.
          George and Carrie
          2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 Powerstroke, BTS trans, DPTuner, Tru-kool 40k BTU cooler, TurboSmart waste-gate actuator,V and mod'd B code leaf springs, Prodigy P2 Controller, Blue Ox 1500lb hitch, 205k
          2007 AF 26Z-2, 507 TPMS, 225-75-16 E BFG Commercials LT's, 1-Yamaha EF2000is

Comment

If you are so inclined you can monitor the air activity here https://www.flightradar24.com/N933B/1d49d1a6 you can click on the aircraft and see what it's been doing. just zoom in on this link for one of the aircraft highlighted.
            George and Carrie
            2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 Powerstroke, BTS trans, DPTuner, Tru-kool 40k BTU cooler, TurboSmart waste-gate actuator,V and mod'd B code leaf springs, Prodigy P2 Controller, Blue Ox 1500lb hitch, 205k

Comment

Originally posted by Offspring View Post
              If you are so inclined you can monitor the air activity here https://www.flightradar24.com/N933B/1d49d1a6 you can click on the aircraft and see what it's been doing. just zoom in on this link for one of the aircraft highlighted.
              We've been using that site for a couple of years - with an aircraft tail number, you can go to this site and look-up the owner information:

http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinqu...m_Inquiry.aspx

Our son is working as a backcountry ranger at Sequoia, so we're watching that fire down there closely.

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

looks like the 747 is headed to Redding now? https://www.flightradar24.com/T944/1d4a6af8
                George and Carrie

Comment

Originally posted by Offspring View Post
                  looks like the 747 is headed to Redding now? https://www.flightradar24.com/T944/1d4a6af8
                  CalFire is trying to put a buffer between the fire and western Redding before evening.

Our news said that after an active night last night, the winds were southerly and light today. The winds are expected to pick up tonight and switch from the west.

That endangers more Redding homes and residential areas. 125 homes have been lost so far.

Stay safe offspring.

Comment

Well it looks like the super tanker made a run up to Merlin OR then returned to MCC, that's quite a reach. It passed over at 14k, lol.

Thanks but we are safely located for this fire, but in '99 the Jones fire roared right through our 10 acres, but the house was brand new and the final grading was completed in the spring so we had a big clear buffer. I had some roof work done four years ago and found one of the stringers which held a cement tile in place started to burn but only a 2-3" section and it put itself out, close call! When you live here you have a year-round fire prevention job, just in case!
                    George and Carrie

Comment

I have to ask the question About how these fires started. News doesn't say. The BLM and Forest Service, with some exceptions don't fight fires, they just watch them with big expense to taxpayers. Being a FS and BLM Smokejumper thru 60's I find it troubling that those too far away make decisons that others closer to fire fighting know much better. We had a free hand at fighting fires in 60's and it worked. If others disagree I understand, but I'm fead up with Washington, DC thinking they have the knowledge to fight fires in the west Maybe I'm off base, but?
                      Neil and Marilyn and Beamer (feline)
                      2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax 6.6L 4x4 Double Cab LB, 5th Spring, Ride Rite Air Bags, Tires: 275/75R18 125/122 3640 lb rated, 40 gal Transfer Flow Aux Tank.

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L, Progressive EMS HW30C Surge Protector, TST 507 TPMS w/Color, Sailun Tires G rated, 2 Smart Tool 2000's, Titan Disk Brakes.

Of all the things I've lost. I miss my mind the most :-)

Comment

BTW, my last post was not meant to be little any guys fighting fires in wezt.
                        2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax 6.6L 4x4 Double Cab LB, 5th Spring, Ride Rite Air Bags, Tires: 275/75R18 125/122 3640 lb rated, 40 gal Transfer Flow Aux Tank.

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L, Progressive EMS HW30C Surge Protector, TST 507 TPMS w/Color, Sailun Tires G rated, 2 Smart Tool 2000's, Titan Disk Brakes.

Comment

Originally posted by Smokey View Post
                          I have to ask the question About how these fires started. News doesn't say.
                          The Carr Fire (Redding area) was started accidentally, from a 'vehicle malfunction' per CalFire. One of the news outlets also reported that a trailer was involved in the cause.

The Ferguson Fire (Yosemite area) has an unknown cause so far.

Comment

Daughters house in Redding, still standing, thank goodness! Fire burned right up to the walls.
                            Picture is the remains of the house across the street. 2 of the five homes burned.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	043ECA71-3097-4951-A5F4-FA9474AC11AC.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	279673
                            2015 Nash 23D 2013 Ford F-150 Ecoboost screw, 4x4.

Comment

Darn! Thank goodness it didn't reach daughters house.

Comment

Working...
                              X