Northward Bound

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Northward Bound

We left Mendocino County Monday AM on our way north. Pretty uneventful drive to Red Bluff for the night, and then on to Canyonville, OR. As we pulled out of Red Bluff and onto I5 the hitch made an alarmingly loud noise, so I pulled over to check. It seems that whoever put the hitch into the bed (me) wasnít paying attention and the two front mounting dogs werenít in the correct holes. Hard to explain, but the entire hitch was higher in the front than the back, and it definitely didnít like it! So I extended the landiing gear, took the weight off the hitch, and set it in its proper position. Oh yes, this all happened after I started to pull out of the RV park with the awning extended. Fortunately a neighbor hollered at me before I got too far, or too near to the tree at the end of the row. Blame it on a combination of really hot weather (104+), not a lot of sleep, and maybe Iím getting a bit older and need to take a little more time before jumping in the driverís seat. Anyway, no harm done and another lesson learned.
    Weíre at Seven Feathers right now, after a long, hot, and very smoky drive. Fortunately itís cleared up, but the heat is still with us. Weíre spending an extra day here just to try and slow down and relax, and itís paying dividends. Both the wife and I are in better spirits, and thatís important when youíre living in a shoebox on wheels. A mighty nice one, but still things can get pretty crowded. Tomorrow itís off to Blodgett, and then Siver Lake for a week. Iíll check the awning before I pull out. :-)
    Jim & Grace
    2011 2500HD 6.6L Duramax
    2016 AF 27-5L, Hensley BD-3 Hitch, 4 Point Leveling, Titan Disc Brakes
    2008 Miniature Golden Doodle

We forget all too soon the things we thought we would never forget....

Honk as you get close to Albany!
    Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4 B&W Companion

Comment

Wave as you pass through Medford. Howdy!
      2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali 4x4 Diesel
      2017 Arctic Fox 22G.

Comment

Safe travels!!!! When you say Blodgett, do you mean Blodgett, Oregon, like in just west of Corvallis??? Its barely a town. More like a spec. HAHAHAHA.
        2005 Dodge Diesel 3500: 5.9L Cummins Turbo-Diesel, 3.73 4WD 4SPD SRW, quad cab, long bed, B&W Companion Hitch. Rebuilt tranny, PakBrake Exhaust Brake, PakBrake Airbags w/ Wireless remote fill.

2017 Arctic Fox 27 5L: 4-Point Leveling System, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 30amp surge protector, Slide-Toppers, 2" Receiver, TPMS TST 507, ARP Controller, Sailun G rated tires.

Comment

Have a safe, enjoyable and uneventful trip Jim...sounds like you may have gotten the ďeventfulĒ outta the way upfront
          2015 AF 27-5L, 2016 F-250 Super Cab, 6.7 Diesel, SB, 4x4, Off Road and 10,000lb Payload Package,

Comment

Seven Feathers has a fantastic refreshing indoor pool ...... enjoy & safe travels !
            Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

If youíre like me you have a mental checklist for arriving and departing. Unfortunately I seem to delete a page or so every so often. Iím going to have to start following a real written list soon before I pull away with water, sewer and electricity attached and chocks in front of the tires.

Getting a good nights rest and throwing away ó$ at blackjack will get you back on course.
              Mark and Anita
              09 Tundra with engine, exhaust, and tires; 2012 AF 22H and some hitching stuff I paid too much for; old Schwinn bike now gone and new Cannondale Quick in its place, Honda 110 (now licensed, but not running), case of cheap red wine, bag of Cheese Curls, and a hammer or two (one rusty).

Comment

You probably have thought of this but I never leave without walking around the trailer and truck to find the things I have left undone. Then Johanna walks around and finds the things I missed.
                2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
                2018 Arctic Fox 25Y
                2018 Arctic Fox 29L; Traded in
                *2001 Arctic Fox 29V; Sold
                South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

Jim, If you are planning on going through Portland, watch the traffic. There is some major highway repairs going on. I-84 is a mess and I understand ODOT is currently working at intersection of I-84 and I-5, but check. As for your experience with awning, I need to be quiet, as I could do that too. :-) I've done my share, but no need repeating again here. Rush hour in am and pm last several hours. Stay cool and if as we head south to Eugene Friday AM, I'll hook. :-) My plan is to see if by using I-405 off and back on to I-5 might work to avoid mess, but I think it won't be a smooth sailing as I would wish.
                  Neil and Marilyn and Beamer (feline)
                  2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax 6.6L 4x4 Double Cab LB, 5th Spring, Ride Rite Air Bags, Tires: 275/75R18 125/122 3640 lb rated, 40 gal Transfer Flow Aux Tank.

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L, Progressive EMS HW30C Surge Protector, TST 507 TPMS w/Color, Sailun Tires G rated, 2 Smart Tool 2000's, Titan Disk Brakes.

Of all the things I've lost. I miss my mind the most :-)

Comment

Jim.........See your spending tonight in Seven Feathers, so my last post hopefully is timely if needed. If you do continue north then may check Portland. The highway work continues for a number of weeks I believe. A week at Silver Falls may make a good difference if continuing north.
                    2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax 6.6L 4x4 Double Cab LB, 5th Spring, Ride Rite Air Bags, Tires: 275/75R18 125/122 3640 lb rated, 40 gal Transfer Flow Aux Tank.

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L, Progressive EMS HW30C Surge Protector, TST 507 TPMS w/Color, Sailun Tires G rated, 2 Smart Tool 2000's, Titan Disk Brakes.

Comment

Currently in Salem, OR for the night. Our planned stay at the park in Blodgett was a colossal waste of time. When I checked in at the office, the elderly fellow said sorry, no space. He blamed it on his son who conveniently wasnít around. After some frantic calling around we finally found a space up the road a piece in Salem. Thanks for the warning about the construction near Portland. We might try cutting off on 205 and hope the rest of the world doesnít have the same idea.
                      Jim & Grace
                      2011 2500HD 6.6L Duramax

Comment

That's a good idea about using 205. But it may still be a bit slow as in stop and go. Timing is good, as in maybe hitting south of Portland after 9 AM and hoping for the best on 205. By mid afternoon 205 heading north on WA side can be crowded as road goes from 4 lanes, to 3 lanes to 2 lanes. The 2 lanes are a prob, but traffic breaks loose after Padden Parkway. There is a rest stop just north of Vancouver (Gee Creek) which one could, if needed spend 8 hours at night and take off. Happy Travels. Neil

Comment

Well weíre finally in Washington, our new home state! We took a gamble this AM and stayed on I5 through the Portland area and it was really quite easy. Southbound was another story! As we read the news this morning we were very grateful we left Red Bluff on Tuesday instead of a day later. The Carr fire is terriible! One of my friends back in Boonville has a son who is a dozer operator for CalFire. He was assigned to the fire and described it as complete chaos. I just watched some footage of the evacuations, and chaos doesnít begin to describe whatís happening there. Anyway, here we are near Mt. St. Helens for about 6 days. No cell service (yay!) but great WiFi. Life is good.
                          Jim & Grace
                          2011 2500HD 6.6L Duramax

Comment

Good you got through Portland well. We were heading south maybe same time? Traffic wasn't best, but not bad as expected. Took I 405 around I-84. I know remember were silver Lake is near My St Helens. Enjoy. Oh...did I mention the mosquitoes there are the size of robin's? . Neil

Comment

Welcome home Jim!
                              2015 AF 27-5L, 2016 F-250 Super Cab, 6.7 Diesel, SB, 4x4, Off Road and 10,000lb Payload Package,

Comment

Working...
                              X