Please Visit Our Sponsors

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What route do you like? Off the beaten path or Highways/Interstates?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What route do you like? Off the beaten path or Highways/Interstates?

On our trip from the East Coast to Yellowstone I've mapped it out using Google Maps and the Good Sam Planner. I also had AAA map it for me. Some legs of the trip all three have us going a different way. When there is more than one choice of something I have a hard time making up my mind.

Do you take the less traveled roads or do you like Highway driving?
    Preston & Teresa
    Traveling dogs: Jerrica and Riley; Stay at home watch cats: Grayboy, Blackie and Magic
    2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L with Slide Out Toppers; Alumaguard Main Awning, 15K Low Pro Air Conditioner; Holding Tank Heat Pads; Fan Vent w/Remote/Tstat/Rain Sensor - Bedroom; 50 Amp Service; 4 Point Leveling System; Cross-stitch sofa; 2 " Receiver.

2015 Silverado 3500 DRW Diesel

I do not like to travel interstates. Sometimes it is necessary for certain trips but we see a lot more of America traveling the less used roads.
    Old, fat, ugly and armed
    2017 Artic Fox 29-5T
    Chevy 2500HD, 6.6 Duramax

Comment

To quote Chuck Yeager; it depends on the mission.
      George and Carrie
      2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 Powerstroke, BTS trans, DPTuner, Tru-kool 40k BTU cooler, TurboSmart waste-gate actuator,V and mod'd B code leaf springs, Prodigy P2 Controller, Blue Ox 1500lb hitch, 205k
      2007 AF 26Z-2, 507 TPMS, 225-75-16 E BFG Commercials LT's, 1-Yamaha EF2000is

Comment

Generally off the beaten path. BUT, I am perhaps overly cautious about getting on too small, hilly or curvey a route. I probably miss out on a few nice drives because I can not determine for certain they are OK for towing a 29' TT. Also sometimes the scenic route means an extra couple of hours added to an already 3 or 4 hour drive and I am often not up for that. So as George said, it depends.
        2001 F-350 V-10 4X4 CC 68,000 miles. Added Larger Transmission Cooler, Rear View Camera, ScanGauge II.
        2018 Nash 26N. 540W Solar, 2nd Bathroom Medicine Cabinet, Progressive Industries EMS, Two Recliners,
        2015 Nash 17K Previous

Let's Go Geocaching!

Comment

We use Interstates and state highways to get us to our destinations. Interstates and major state highways have larger rest stops for larger trailer(s).

We use the truck to explore smaller roads and out of the way sights.

Towing a larger 5th-wheel trailer onto smaller roads takes far more concentration, and thus, less sights to be able to view / enjoy while driving.
          Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Teresa..You have the same RV we have so I now, while willing to take good back roads, know I can't just stop to take in a view, etc. Too much RV vs a Truck Camper like a AF 990. So my mode of RVing has had to change. Some view points offer room for your RV, others don't and maybe a quick decision needs to be made, like nope can't stop here. So the option turns to staying in a campground where one can just take the truck and the time to travel around locally and enjoy. If my wife says "Look at That!", I don't, I keep my eyes on the road as we can come back if want. Yep, "Depends" is the word. :-) And just to be clear, we are not talking adult diapers here! :-) I just had to throw that in!
            Neil and Marilyn and Beamer (feline)
            2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax 6.6L 4x4 Double Cab LB, 5th Spring, Ride Rite Air Bags, Tires: 275/75R18 125/122 3640 lb rated, 40 gal Transfer Flow Aux Tank.

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L, Progressive EMS HW30C Surge Protector, TST 507 TPMS w/Color, Sailun Tires G rated, 2 Smart Tool 2000's, Titan Disk Brakes.

Of all the things I've lost. I miss my mind the most :-)

Comment

We have done both and I mostly prefer interstates to get me from A to B unless we are interested in seeing something particular off the beaten path. The main reason is that on two-way roads that are direct routes, the truckers and other traffic like to move along at a much faster speed than I want to tow at. We have to contend with constantly being tailgated and passed, and also watch out for the wild and crazy passers coming the other way. A couple of examples of this kind of road are 212 from Spearfish, SD to the Little Bighorn Battle Field, and Wichita to Tucumcari via US Route 54. I've driven both of these but in both cases I would now prefer the interstate highways with longer mileage over the two way combat passing.

If you tell us the legs you are deciding between, somebody has probably driven it.
              Steve and Shelley. Minnesota
              2017 RAM 3500 LLH CC 4x4 LB DRW 6.7ctd Aisin 4.10 Air Level aka Shrek
              2018 AF 27-5L, HW50C ems, Maxxis Tires, TST 507, dual AC, tank heaters, Rear Camera, Toppers, 640w Solar, Victron MP 3000 Inverter, MPPT 150/85 solar charge controller, CCGX Color Monitor,BMV702 Battery Monitor
              , 440AH Lifeline AGM, aka Fiona

Comment

Being from a corner of the country we find ourselves having to drive the same general route repeatedly just to get started on our travels. So we use smaller off the beaten track routes whenever possible to avoid boredom. In the winter we tend to stick to major truck routes because we know they get lots of DOT attention.
                Bruce & Shannon
                Redmond Washington
                2017 Arctic Fox 27-5L replacing a 2013 Lance 1685
                2016 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD High Country Edition

Comment

Working...
                X