Needles Highway and 3500 Dually Crew Cab

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Needles Highway and 3500 Dually Crew Cab

Has anyone driven the Needles Highway with a DRW truck? Any place in South Dakota/Wyoming to stay away from with or without towing our 27-5L?

Also, we are heading from Hill City, SD over to Cody and was wondering the best route pulling our 27-5L. Any words of wisdom? We're from the East Coast and this is our first ever drive out West, not to mention our first real trip with a 5th wheel.

We are staying four days in Hill City and plan on visiting/seeing as much as possible in the area. Then leaving to stay a few days in Cody before heading to Fishing Bridge in Yellowstone for five days, then down to Coulter Bay for two days before going into Jackson for a stay and then a stay in Cheyenne before heading back home. We're leaving July 4th arriving back home August 2nd. We are so excited to go other than having to leave our fur babies at home.

Many thanks!
    Preston & Teresa
    Traveling dogs: Jerrica and Riley; Stay at home watch cats: Grayboy, Blackie and Magic
    2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L with Slide Out Toppers; Alumaguard Main Awning, 15K Low Pro Air Conditioner; Holding Tank Heat Pads; Fan Vent w/Remote/Tstat/Rain Sensor - Bedroom; 50 Amp Service; 4 Point Leveling System; Cross-stitch sofa; 2 " Receiver.

2015 Silverado 3500 DRW Diesel

The highways, roads, and streets in the west are usually wide open spaces. SD offers some beautiful scenery in the Black Hills. So does WY. Also a lot of barren ranch and farm land and open space. If you travel the interstates or major US and state highways you can generally go anywhere you want dually or no dually. You can ask locally about some of the local back road pavement being rough.
    Harvey Barlow
    USN Retired
    Glade Springs, WV
    2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab & Chassis, Cummins ISB6.7 Aisin CM Flatbed BrakeSmart Transfer Flow 212k miles
    2011 Arctic Fox 26X LT245/75R16LRE tires Yamaha 2400
    2012 Unnamed 10' Slide-In Truck Camper

Comment

Needles Highway... We went on it last year with our srw GMC 2500HD and there was one tunnel that our extended out towing mirrors barely cleared. I'd say if your dually wheels are within how far your mirrors extend you should be fine. I imagine the people at the campground might have better info about that road.
      2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD Denali 4x4 Diesel
      2017 Arctic Fox 22G.

Comment

Your best route is Hwy 16 from Buffalo to Worland then up to Greybull and then to Cody. It is steep over the Big Horns but better than Hwy 14 from Sheridan. DO NOT take 14A to Lovell. The descent is steep and long. It is called the "Oh My God Hill" I assume you have exhaust brakes. If not I'd suggest going to Billings and down to Cody. Relatively level terrain. Either way over the Big Horns is beautiful!
        Glen & Linda
        2018 27-5L Arctic Fox,
        2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD D/A 4X4 Ext Cab
        Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch
        Blogs: Ongoing: http://glelin-travels1.blogspot.com/
        Alaska: http://glelin-travels.blogspot.com/

Comment

If you are comfortable towing in the East you will definitely be good in the West. We have had westerners do their upmost to convince us a road was all but impassable. Many think if is not at least 22' of pavement with guardrails on both sides it is a cattle path. The mountains are taller but the Appalachians are much more challenging. Avoid the interstates certainly, don't drive out of you way to get to an interstate. Couldn't believe the roads we were warned of. Glad I chose to use my own judgment.
          Woods
          07 Fox 31WRB, Aria, AGMs, RPowerTwins, Heatpumps, Maxxfans, Sur eflow 57, 50amp, dualpane, Reese nocam trunnion, more.
          04 6.0L 4X4 Excursion. AirLifts, Vair, ARC, XCal3, EGRfix, 4A pillar Cobalts, AFE, MBRP, Hadley, Bilsteins, Brakesmart, Colorado's Monarch Pass Avatar

Comment

X2 to Woods. The only one to avoid is where Hwy 14 splits with 14A going to Lovell. Hwy14A has 10 miles of 10% grade followed by 4 miles of 8% grade. There are plenty of steep and winding grades in the east but none that long and steep that I know of.
            Glen & Linda
            2018 27-5L Arctic Fox,
            2013 GMC Sierra 2500HD D/A 4X4 Ext Cab
            Anderson Ultimate 5th wheel hitch
            Blogs: Ongoing: http://glelin-travels1.blogspot.com/
            Alaska: http://glelin-travels.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thank you everyone! We'll take Buffalo - Worland - Greybull route. I sure don't want to experience the "Oh My God" hill. I have too much of that on flat ground with my husband's driving. Ha!
              Good to know that the West is so open and us Easterners shouldn't have a problem. We'll see. I'll still be constantly praying I'm sure! My husband doesn't think we'll have a problem with the tunnels so we're going to try it. Can't wait!
              Preston & Teresa
              Traveling dogs: Jerrica and Riley; Stay at home watch cats: Grayboy, Blackie and Magic
              2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L with Slide Out Toppers; Alumaguard Main Awning, 15K Low Pro Air Conditioner; Holding Tank Heat Pads; Fan Vent w/Remote/Tstat/Rain Sensor - Bedroom; 50 Amp Service; 4 Point Leveling System; Cross-stitch sofa; 2 " Receiver.

Comment

Originally posted by GIandlj View Post
                X2 to Woods. The only one to avoid is where Hwy 14 splits with 14A going to Lovell. Hwy14A has 10 miles of 10% grade followed by 4 miles of 8% grade. There are plenty of steep and winding grades in the east but none that long and steep that I know of.
                Those grades can provide spectacular scenery. Lock down in a lower gear for increased rpm (1200-1400) and set the cruse control at a comfortable pace and enjoy the scenery. Do leave the engine running to cool when stopping for photos. No big deal. Have fun, enjoy.

Woods
                07 Fox 31WRB, Aria, AGMs, RPowerTwins, Heatpumps, Maxxfans, Sur eflow 57, 50amp, dualpane, Reese nocam trunnion, more.
                04 6.0L 4X4 Excursion. AirLifts, Vair, ARC, XCal3, EGRfix, 4A pillar Cobalts, AFE, MBRP, Hadley, Bilsteins, Brakesmart, Colorado's Monarch Pass Avatar

Comment

• Hood Tunnel: 10 feet, 6 inches wide; 11 feet, 3 inches high
                  • Needles Eye Tunnel: 8 feet, 4 inches wide; 12 feet high
                  • Iron Creek Tunnel: 9 feet wide; 12 feet, 3 inches high

http://www.truckcamperadventure.com/...edles-highway/
                  2003 Arctic Fox 30u with too many extra's and changes to mention. 2012 Ram 3500, Snug Top Camper

Comment

Originally posted by ramduk View Post

I wouldn’t be pulling my 27-5L though these tunnels based on the dimensions let alone after looking a the photos. We are 13’4” at the highest point.

A good resource i use is the Montain West and East directory. I keep it on the iPad, you can purchase only the West or East, or both. Gives good grade information and warnings for low clearances.
                    Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4 B&W Companion

Comment

Originally posted by ramduk View Post

Nice catch!!! What a beautiful area though. Good reminder to read the suggestions and then look down to see what they are pulling. For folks with pull behind's, their height constrants are much different and unintentionally don't realize us in the Arctic Fox 5th Wheel series are at 13'6" (or darn near close to that).
                      2005 Dodge Diesel 3500: 5.9L Cummins Turbo-Diesel, 3.73 4WD 4SPD SRW, quad cab, long bed, B&W Companion Hitch. Rebuilt tranny, PakBrake Exhaust Brake, PakBrake Airbags w/ Wireless remote fill.

2017 Arctic Fox 27 5L: 4-Point Leveling System, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 30amp surge protector, Slide-Toppers, 2" Receiver, TPMS TST 507, ARP Controller, Sailun G rated tires.

Comment

ramduk . Thanks for the link by the way. I bookmarked it for a future trip. In reading through the article, it looks like you can camp nearby and take the 14 mile journey on the hwy in the truck. The views look spectacular.
                        2005 Dodge Diesel 3500: 5.9L Cummins Turbo-Diesel, 3.73 4WD 4SPD SRW, quad cab, long bed, B&W Companion Hitch. Rebuilt tranny, PakBrake Exhaust Brake, PakBrake Airbags w/ Wireless remote fill.

2017 Arctic Fox 27 5L: 4-Point Leveling System, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 30amp surge protector, Slide-Toppers, 2" Receiver, TPMS TST 507, ARP Controller, Sailun G rated tires.

Comment

In the past we have stayed in the State Park and toured the area in my truck which is a 2012 Ram 3500 SRW. No problems on the Needles Hwy or the other area's. The state parks are quite popular so will require reservations sometime ahead. There are also Forest Service and plenty of private place to stay. We stayed at Stockade Lake near Custer which gave us easy access to all area's of the park, Mt. Rushmore, Needles, and the Caves Nathional parks. It has become one of our favorite area's.......don't go during the Sturgis MC week unless you love motorcycles. They are everywhere and it gets pretty crowded. Sturgis is a zoo at that time and the area is flooded with touring bikes.
                          2003 Arctic Fox 30u with too many extra's and changes to mention. 2012 Ram 3500, Snug Top Camper

Comment

Needles Highway: You said you are staying in Hill City so you definitely want to get over to Sylvan Lake, which is just beautiful, and where many of the best hikes start from. Of course you can't tow through any of the tunnels. I don't think you would have any trouble with the tunnel between Hill City and Sylvan lake with just your truck although I didn't do it(the one just NW of the lake). The two tunnels E / SE of the lake are too tight for me and I wouldn't risk your dually... Especially on the first tunnel after the lake. I always follow the rule that the mirrors must clear for the duallys to clear, even though there is a slight bit more slop. If you don't want to do any tunnels you can go down to Custer and then go north on 89. If parking is crowded at the lake then keep going around the lake and you will find a large dirt parking lot that is right at the trailhead for Black Elk Peak (formerly Harney Peak). There are also a couple other hikes from there including the Sunday Gulch Trail which is beautiful but don't do it if it is Harley season or all you will hear is the roar from the bikers. If you do Sunday Gulch then I like it best going clockwise so you end up climbing out of the canyon through the water at the end.

Click image for larger version  Name:	p1.JPG Views:	1 Size:	32.9 KB ID:	278511
                            Here's a link to the a Black Hills map with the tunnels shown.

Hill City to Cody: The route I would do is Hill City..Custer.16.Moorcroft.90.Buffalo.16.Worland.Gr eybull.Cody. Once you leave the Black Hills that is some boring driving until you hit the Bighorns.

When will you be in Jackson area? We will be in Coulter Bay 27July to 03Aug and are then heading up to Montana in the Absarokas for 10 days.
                            Steve and Shelley. Minnesota
                            2017 RAM 3500 LLH CC 4x4 LB DRW 6.7ctd Aisin 4.10 Air Level aka Shrek
                            2018 AF 27-5L, HW50C ems, Maxxis Tires, TST 507, dual AC, tank heaters, Rear Camera, Toppers, 640w Solar, Victron MP 3000 Inverter, MPPT 150/85 solar charge controller, CCGX Color Monitor,BMV702 Battery Monitor
                            , 440AH Lifeline AGM, aka Fiona

Comment

That's great information, thanks. We'll be in Jackson just before you get there Steve. Darn! From July 22 leaving on the 26 for Cheyenne. Leaving Cheyenne on the 29 to head home.

We're on the road now, I'm using my phone to reply. Today was our first day and six miles from home we realized we left our EZPass for tolls and my husband left his money! We stopped and had my sister bring them to us! Then about 1.5 hours into the trip, thanks to rough roads due to road work, we hit a big bump and the rear tire on my bike came out of the tray! Long story short. Bike is okay and are now properly secured! Thank heavens for the rearview camera.

I see now you said you'd be in Colter Bay. We'll be there July 20-22.
                              Preston & Teresa

Comment

Working...
                              X