Winstock Country Music Festival, Minnesota

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winstock Country Music Festival, Minnesota

We just returned from four days at the Winstock Country Music Festival. We had a great time and saw a lot of performers including Miranda Lambert, Dierks Bentley, Brothers Osborne, and a bunch of others. It was dry camping and we were in some farmers field. All was well with the neighbors until these young folks parked next to us in an old old beat up small class C that had a generator that was the loudest thing I've ever heard, and it was left on all the time because their fridge didn't work on propane. The kicker was when we went out and met them there was a big explosion and their propane compartment door blew off and a 4 ft plume of propane blew out of the compartment. "Oh 'taint nothin" they said. We just over filled the propane bottle and the emergency over-pressure relief lets loose every now and then. Don't let it scare you when it does it all night. Well we moved out to the north forty and climbed up to the top of a hill in the middle of nowhere. Perfect. Good thing we did because Saturday we got about 3 inches of rain from the morning non stop until the afternoon. The whole place was a swimming hole and a huge mud pit. Everyone was stuck this morning. The class A rigs had no chance and we saw one with the wheels buried in the mud, and sitting on the chassis. Fortunately we were able to four wheel our way around the field perimeter and escape. The ground clearance of the 27-5L was much appreciated. Only saw one other AF Truck camper for one night.
    Steve and Shelley. Minnesota
    2017 RAM 3500 LLH CC 4x4 LB DRW 6.7ctd Aisin 4.10 Air Level aka Shrek
    2018 AF 27-5L, HW50C ems, Maxxis Tires, TST 507, dual AC, tank heaters, Rear Camera, Toppers, 640w Solar, Victron MP 3000 Inverter, MPPT 150/85 solar charge controller, CCGX Color Monitor,BMV702 Battery Monitor
    , 440AH Lifeline AGM, aka Fiona

What a camping adventure. Thank you for sharing your experience.
    2012 Dodge Laramie, 2500 CTD, crew cab
    2015 Arctic Fox 25Y, TM-2030 battery monitor,SC-2030 solar charger, 300w solar system,Tripp-Lite 2000W power inverter,TPMS-510RV, Michelin 225 75R 16 LT tires.

Comment

Yes it was pretty wild. One of the 20-something girls we sat next to said, "It's so good to see you old people here." Sheeeesh!

I loaded a generator into the truck because of the weather forecast but even in the clouds and rain the solar panels were kicking out @ 60 watts... enough to keep the batteries up at 100% and use the coffee maker and hair dryer in the morning.
      2018 AF 27-5L, HW50C ems, Maxxis Tires, TST 507, dual AC, tank heaters, Rear Camera, Toppers, 640w Solar, Victron MP 3000 Inverter, MPPT 150/85 solar charge controller, CCGX Color Monitor,BMV702 Battery Monitor

Comment

Wow! What a story! Really can't imagine anyone that would be unconcerned about a propane explosion/fire!!! What were they smokin???

Maybe a silly question, but here goes. Is there any time when one can visit that area without either (1) being eaten alive by mosquitos or (2) becoming an integral part of the (semi-)perma frost? We would like to see the great lakes area but have no idea if that could be done without significant suffering (lol).
        Darrell & Chris
        2018 AF 27-5L 4-pt auto leveling
        2014 Lakota Bighorn LQ, 14 ft SW, 3 horse, slant load, gooseneck trailer
        2006 Hart, 3 horse, slant load, bumper pull trailer
        2012 Ram 3500 CTD DRW

Comment

We didn't have any mosquitos on this trip because I think they all got drowned in mud. It's really not that bad if you retreat just before the sun sets, and come back out after it gets dark. The permethrin clothing seems to work ok. I have an old beat up Tilly hat that I fish with and I rub 99% deet around the rim of the hat. That seems to work pretty good without actually putting it on me. I got eaten pretty good in Sedalia Missouri. I'm not sure what bit me up but it wasn't mosquitos. I had crawled under the rig in the grass in order to string my dump hose to the right rear where the receptacle was. I think that's when I got all bit up.

Late September or early October would give you a taste of fall with minimum bugs and a low chance of inadvertently doing some winter camping.

Comment

Originally posted by mnSteve View Post
            I got eaten pretty good in Sedalia Missouri. I'm not sure what bit me up but it wasn't mosquitos. I had crawled under the rig in the grass in order to string my dump hose to the right rear where the receptacle was. I think that's when I got all bit up.
            CHIGGERS! Nasty little bugs. Itch like hell.

*Ron & Deb Nielson
            2008 Silverado 2500HD CCLB SRW Duramax/Allison, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Bilstein 5100, Kennedy Custom Tuned ECM
            2009 Silver Fox AF29-5T SteadyFast Stabilizer System

Comment

Originally posted by nielsorj View Post
              CHIGGERS! Nasty little bugs. Itch like hell.
              Well I googled those things and the bite pictures looked just like my arms and legs. I tried to ignore the itching but those little buggers just won't be ignored. Didn't think we had chiggers in Minnesota but Google says we do in a few places.

Comment

Working...
              X