Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cal rte 36 or 299???

Hi All,

Am planning a trip up the Oregon Coast, leaving early next week. Will be traveling the I-5 North in California and saw there are two routes West over to 101, 36 out of Red Bluff or 299 leaving Redding, CA. Just wondering if any of you would recommend one over the other. CalTrans says both are open, travel time isn't an issue.

Any "don't miss" recommendations for parks, towns, or restaurants along the way North?

Have heard Bandon OR is very nice and I'm looking forward to searching the tidal pools. Plan is to boondock or visit the State Parks with camping along the Coast.

Thanks!
    Terri

Terri (USN, Ret.) and AlexDog

2015 Wolf Creek 850
    2005 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 4WD, Timbren SES, Torklift Tiedowns

No way on RT 36. BTDT on motorcycle years ago. One of the best curvy MC roads I've ridden. Here's a quote from a Best Ca MC roads RT 36 is #2

2. Route 36

Road Length: 140 miles

If you are looking for an enjoyable ride to sit back and enjoy the scenery around you, then this may not be your best option, but if you have been living that bike life for quite some time, the twists and turns in Route 36 will make you feel like you’re in heaven. You won’t have much time to take your eyes off the road with all the crazy fun you are going to encounter. There are lots of places with long roller-coaster like drops and no guard rails, so you will need to be cautious and aware of what’s in front of you at all times.

You will start off in Redbluff, CA on highway 36 and travel west towards Fortuna, CA. You will know you’re in the right spot when you see the windy road sign that says “Next 140 Miles” under the arrow. Just stay on the highway and you’ll get to the finish line.
    2012 Ram 2500 CTD
    2013 Fox Mountain 235 RLS

Comment

I'll also say NO WAY on 36. Another option for you is Hwy 20 out of Williams CA, I much prefer that route to the coast but with my starting point it is rarely an option. Hwy 20 is a much shorter trip to hwy 101 and you will get to spend way more time on it. Hwy 299 in spring and summer is notorious for construction zones. I've hit as many as 3 different ones in trips across and can add considerable time to your trip. It also groups traffic up and if you are towing it gets awful hard and frustrating while trying to be a considerate tow'er with everyone else not towing and trying to makeup time. Have a great trip.

Edit: I just noticed the OP has a TC so you could do 36 but I'd still avoid.
      George and Carrie
      2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 Powerstroke, BTS trans, DPTuner, Tru-kool 40k BTU cooler, TurboSmart waste-gate actuator,V and mod'd B code leaf springs, Prodigy P2 Controller, Blue Ox 1500lb hitch, 205k
      2007 AF 26Z-2, 507 TPMS, 225-75-16 E BFG Commercials LT's, 1-Yamaha EF2000is

Comment

Highway 20 to 101 is the fastest and shortest route to the coast. On the way you go through the Redwoods before you get to Eureka.
        2012 Dodge Laramie, 2500 CTD, crew cab
        2015 Arctic Fox 25Y, TM-2030 battery monitor,SC-2030 solar charger, 300w solar system,Tripp-Lite 2000W power inverter,TPMS-510RV, Michelin 225 75R 16 LT tires.

Comment

From I-5 (California), to get to the southern Oregon coast, we use Highway 20.

To get to the more central Oregon coast, we use 199 or 38.

To get to the northern Oregon coast, we use Highway 26.

We don't care for 299 (long, slow and lots of curves).
          Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Don't miss the Avenue of the Giants just North of Leggett on 101. If I remember correctly its about a 30 mile detour off of 101.
            Rich

2016 Chevrolet 3500HD LT Dually 4x4 DMax/Allison, B&W RVK 3700, Extreme Air Onboard Air Compressor
            2014 Arctic Fox 29 5T, TST 507 Tire Pressure Monitor, Honda 2000i Generator, Sailun S637 G Tires

Semper Fi USMC 1981 - 1985

http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/548548.png

Comment

Hey All,
              Thanks so much for the suggestions!! After checking the map again and searching "Oregon coast" on this forum, it's Rt. 20 for me!!
              Am looking forward to the adventure!
              Terri
              Terri (USN, Ret.) and AlexDog

2015 Wolf Creek 850
              2005 GMC Sierra 2500 HD 4WD, Timbren SES, Torklift Tiedowns

Comment

Working...
              X