Camping and activities - Washington Coast, Mount Rainier, Mount St. Helens

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping and activities - Washington Coast, Mount Rainier, Mount St. Helens

We have done the Oregon coast before (along hwy 101) but want to start at the very north/west - Olympic National Park. If you have any camping suggestions and good hikes! We have a friendly but large dog. We also want to explore Mount Rainier, Mount St. Helens and Crater Lake if anyone has suggestions. We are spending the month of June exploring, leaving Crater Lake to last to let the snowpack melt! We have an AF 27Y (closer to 30') and love more rustic camping rather than city camping! We plan to get as far south as the Redwood Forest in California and stop in La Grande OR for a factory tour on our way home!
    TIA

Go to search button and enter "mud on tires".

Lots of great information & photos.
    Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

PMd ya...
      2015 AF 27-5L, 2016 F-250 Super Cab, 6.7 Diesel, SB, 4x4, Off Road and 10,000lb Payload Package,

Comment

Make sure to spend a couple of nights at Salt Creek, a Clallam County Park. Reservations suggested. It's right on bluffs above the shore of the Straits of Juan de Fuca. Fort Flagler near Port Townsend is great too, a State Park. Say Hi to our friend Miles, a Ranger there. Reservations are a good idea there too. Sites 112-116 are the best!
        2006 F250 Lariat 6.0 4X4, 2013 Arctic Fox 29-5T, Curt Q 20, Air Lifts, K&N Fresh Air, SCT Tuner

Comment

Regarding Crater Lake, the campground in the park is Manama Village. We stayed their August of 2016 and really enjoyed the campground. Id suggest getting a reservation but they also keep about half the sites for first come first serve and in each size grouping they have. If your TV is diesel make sure you have plenty as the closest place is about 40 miles away.

There is lots to do and see at Crater Lake. If you have enough time and are up for a good hike, allow a day to hike down and take the boat ride. There is nothing like it. You can swim in one area, spend time on Wizard Islanda and catch another boat back, even fish from Wizard Island. The lodge restaurant is very good and probably the best part of the whole park may be enjoying your favorite beverage on a rocking chair while watching the sunset (you dont have to stay in the lodge to use the rockers.
          Rolland & Judie, 2 Shelties, Cozmo & Brinkley

2016 AF 27-5L, 4 pt Leveling, Dual Pane Windows, 10 Cu Ft Fridge, 15K AC, Central Vac, Progressive Dynamics hard wired EMS, Slide Toppers, 2 Fantastic Vents & Covers, TST507s, 480 Watts Solar Charger, 440AH AGM Battery Bank

2005 Chevy Silverado 3500, Duramax/Allison, Crew Cab LB 4x4 B&W Companion

Comment

Salt Creek x2
            Cape Disappointment at the SW corner of Washington Near Long Beach
            Fort Stevens at the NW corner of Oregon near Astoria
            Mark and Anita
            09 Tundra with engine, exhaust, and tires; 2012 AF 22H and some hitching stuff I paid too much for; old Schwinn bike now gone and new Cannondale Quick in its place, Honda 110 (now licensed, but not running), case of cheap red wine, bag of Cheese Curls, and a hammer or two (one rusty).

Comment

Not giving my thoughts on individual places to stay tonight, but there are so many! OK, just one........If visiting Crater Lake there is a very good Oregon State Campground about 30 miles from entrance with a Logging museum nearby that is Collier Memorial State Park. Good campsites.
              Neil and Marilyn and Beamer (feline)
              2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax 6.6L 4x4 Double Cab LB, 5th Spring, Ride Rite Air Bags, Tires: 275/75R18 125/122 3640 lb rated, 40 gal Transfer Flow Aux Tank.

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L, Progressive EMS HW30C Surge Protector, TST 507 TPMS w/Color, Sailun Tires G rated, 2 Smart Tool 2000's, Disk Brakes at 2018 Rally.

Comment

I should point out that depending on your interests the logging museum walking distance, and free, is next to Collier State park, 30 miles from entrance to Crater Lake and about same to Klamath Falls for groceries. Two years ago we were there after a 12 day visit to the redwoods and they closed the park but let us stay free while our Ford F250HD Gas truck got transmission fixed. Visited the Logging museum maybe 3 times. You walk across Spring Creek to museum, a creek that comes out of hills a few miles away. Spring Creek is part of what refills Crater lake each year. Don't ask me, I just read that. :-) If you want info on Redwoods, I can help fill you in. Others can too of course. There is, of course, the Cave Junction Smokejumper museum on way to Crescent city. :-) I just have to give a plug for the old guys from the 60's. :-) Jumping into hell! Tall timber and short let down ropes!
                Neil and Marilyn and Beamer (feline)
                2015 Chevy 2500HD LTZ Duramax 6.6L 4x4 Double Cab LB, 5th Spring, Ride Rite Air Bags, Tires: 275/75R18 125/122 3640 lb rated, 40 gal Transfer Flow Aux Tank.

2016 Arctic Fox 27-5L, Progressive EMS HW30C Surge Protector, TST 507 TPMS w/Color, Sailun Tires G rated, 2 Smart Tool 2000's, Disk Brakes at 2018 Rally.

Comment

This is so timely and I also appreciate the information since I'm planning a trip taking us from ID/MT in August to the coast, staying a couple of months. Would like to hear the information on Redwoods.
                  Paula

Currently in the Outer Banks, NC
                  [ATTACH]n5819[/ATTACH]
                  Tom & Paula
                  2013 Fox Mtn 235RLS
                  2016 Ram 2500 Bighorn Crew, 6.7 Cummins turbo diesel
                  Anderson Ultimate Hitch, 3225

Comment

Coming "home " for a bit, Tom and Paula?
                    BPofMD - Bud & Penny / Actively Retired Navy Vet
                    2005 F250 6.0 - TorqLift Upper Overloads
                    2007 Silver Fox 29-E 5th Wheel / Anderson Ultimate Hitch
                    2015 Lincoln MKZ Hybrid

Comment

Sent you a private message, Bud.
                      [ATTACH]n5819[/ATTACH]
                      Tom & Paula
                      2013 Fox Mtn 235RLS
                      2016 Ram 2500 Bighorn Crew, 6.7 Cummins turbo diesel
                      Anderson Ultimate Hitch, 3225

Comment