2019 Wyoming, South Dakota, Montana

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2019 Wyoming, South Dakota, Montana

At the end of this year we will both be retired and will be doing some longer trips. We are thinking of a trip across Wyoming from Jackson to Cheyenne, then going up the old Cheyenne-Deadwood stage route visiting the various old mining towns. We plan on Rushmore, then back across southern Montana. Any advice on places to visit along these routes, how much time to give to various towns, etc. If a couple of other rigs want to join us, that's fine too. No definite time schedule yet, just next Summer.
    Bob P
    2008 Ford F350 Super Cab 6.4 PSD 4x4
    2018 AF 29-5T

Buffalo WY is a pleasant stop. The KOA is quite nice. The town has "Longmire Days" annually; it was the set location for the "Sheriff's Office" in the series.

Comment

The WY state office of tourism has (or had) an excellent website and will mail you professionally prepared tourist/travel information for their beautiful state. Ditto MT and SD.

You could spend an easy month wandering around through those states. Of course there are the national parks, the museum at Cody, all the small towns, the beautiful Snake River, the burial site of Sacagawea, wagon trail tracks, Cheyenne, Helena, so much history and natural beauty. I am a big fan of those states. There's the Black Hills, Sturgis, Wall Drug Store, so much more.

I think it's late July when all the bikers make their annual religious pilgrimage to Sturgis. The bikers outnumber the state's actual residents during bike week.
      Harvey Barlow
      USN Retired
      Crosby County, TX
      2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab & Chassis, Cummins ISB6.7 Aisin CM Flatbed BrakeSmart Transfer Flow 200k+ miles
      2011 Arctic Fox 26X LT245/75R16LRE tires Yamaha 2400

Comment

Don't forget Little Bighorn National Battlefield (Custer's Last Stand). North of Sheridan, Wy. Close to Hardin, Mt. Could be a 2 hour visit, or a couple of days, depending on your history interest.
        *Utah
        2006 Nash 22H
        2012 Dodge Ram 3500 Megacab 6.7 Cummins
        Equilizer hitch
        Yamaha 2400 Generator

Comment

Originally posted by PSmith View Post
          Don't forget Little Bighorn National Battlefield (Custer's Last Stand). North of Sheridan, Wy. Close to Hardin, Mt. Could be a 2 hour visit, or a couple of days, depending on your history interest.
          Yeah, how could I forget? That site to me is one of the most serene and beautiful spots in this great nation.
          Harvey Barlow
          USN Retired
          Crosby County, TX
          2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab & Chassis, Cummins ISB6.7 Aisin CM Flatbed BrakeSmart Transfer Flow 200k+ miles

Comment

Originally posted by HBarlow View Post

I think it's late July when all the bikers make their annual religious pilgrimage to Sturgis. The bikers outnumber the state's actual residents during bike week.
            Been through there right at that very event. Slow moving from Spearfish until Rapid City.

Comment

Originally posted by Gray View Post

Been through there right at that very event. Slow moving from Spearfish until Rapid City.
              I still chuckle about the first time my wife and I visited. We were pulling a travel trailer and had been to Glacier and Yellowstone. As I made plans for the trip I realized we would be in the area during the big motorcycle event and thought it would be interesting so I made a reservation at an unimproved campground.

The afternoon we arrived we parked the trailer - on dirt with no hookups. I was sitting outside under the awning drinking a soft drink and my wife was inside the trailer. I heard in the near distance a small crowd cheering and clapping then HD motorcycles revving up and launching. The sound continued. Out of curiosity I walked in that direction. I stepped up on a slight rise and up to a fence. A narrow black top lane was in front of me and then another fence. A group of people were standing at the opposite fence looking back at me. I looked across the lane and a woman was standing opposite me looking back my way. I blinked my eyes and looked again. Yep, that's what I saw. She was topless.

In a minute or two another Harley, then another, and another,rode up and stopped in the lane. The Harley parade continued. Each time a woman stood up on the rear pegs and wiggle a little dance, the crowd would cheer and clap, and the biker would rev up and release the clutch. The women passengers were either topless or completely nude.

I guess everyone should visit Sturgis during bike week at least once.
              Harvey Barlow
              USN Retired
              Crosby County, TX

Comment

Originally posted by HBarlow View Post

Yeah, how could I forget? That site to me is one of the most serene and beautiful spots in this great nation.
                Custer takes it on the chin in the Hx books for that battle but his plan was not bad. His subordinates did not carry their end of the log.

Reno failed him by failing to engage aggressively (as the diversionary action). Reno had superior weaponry (over open ground) and he had a good available fallback position with cover and concealment if he had fought aggressively and conducted a disciplined fallback. He turned-tail instead; not the guy you want with you going through a door.

His job was to scout within specific confines. He went too far and therefore placed his unit out of position to operate as a react unit. When he was ordered to expedite and reinforce/resupply (ammunition) Custer, he sauntered instead of riding hellbent for leather. And to add insult to injury, instead of linking up with Custer, he went to Reno's position, exactly opposite of his orders. Not the guy you want when he says "I got your six".

Comment

Originally posted by Gray View Post

Custer takes it on the chin in the Hx books for that battle but his plan was not bad. His subordinates did not carry their end of the log.

Reno failed him by failing to engage aggressively (as the diversionary action). Reno had superior weaponry (over open ground) and he had a good available fallback position with cover and concealment if he had fought aggressively and conducted a disciplined fallback. He turned-tail instead; not the guy you want with you going through a door.

His job was to scout within specific confines. He went too far and therefore placed his unit out of position to operate as a react unit. When he was ordered to expedite and reinforce/resupply (ammunition) Custer, he sauntered instead of riding hellbent for leather. And to add insult to injury, instead of linking up with Custer, he went to Reno's position, exactly opposite of his orders. Not the guy you want when he says "I got your six".
                  I've read similar analysis of Custer's attack but as I recall the sheer numbers of Crazy Horse's warriors was overwhelming and Custer and his modest force were doomed from the beginning.

Harvey Barlow
                  USN Retired
                  Crosby County, TX

Comment

You have to put Devils Tower on the list, we spent two days there last summer hiking all the trails around it. If you just want to drive up and do the main loop around the base and hit the visitors center it will take 3-4 hrs.
                    2016 Ram 3500 Longhorn: 4X4, Crew Cab, LB, DRW, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin, 3.73, Auto Level Rear Air Suspension, Reese 20k Elite Hitch, Amp Bedstep 2, Aero 70 Gal Underbed Fuel Tank
                    2016 AF 27-5L: 10 Cu Ft Fridge, Thomas Payne Sofa w/air Mattress,15K AC, 2" Receiver, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C Surge Protector

Comment

Don't miss Custer SP in SD--just about as nice as a NP anywhere else.

Solo drive up Beartooth Mountain Pass west of Billings is also a memorable activity. It's pretty much a day trip with a nice little town, Red Lodge, for lunch or supper. We were there 3rd week in Sep. and were stopped at the last barricade before the summit on account of early snow. Got 35 mpg coasting back down to I90--of course only got half that going up, but it was interesting watching the mileage indicator plummet as you really don't need the accelerator pedal over almost the entire distance.
                      Henry
                      2014 Arctic Fox 22G
                      2015 Silverado 1500 NHT, Blue Ox Sway Pro(2014); Equal-i-zer(2006-14)

Comment

Originally posted by henryjfox View Post
                        but it was interesting watching the mileage indicator
                        I had some of that interest on one trip eastbound through the WY towards SD. The headwind was so strong that going downhill into it we were getting 7mpg as the instant reading.

In that case "interesting" means how your neck would feel after spending the night sleeping in a dumpster.

Comment

Working...
                        X