No announcement yet.

Oregon to Nevada Route Question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From what I read he's talking about taking the 89/44 cut-off, going through the park like you said, the road is closed, and is not a faster route when it's clear, and you have to pay just to drive through.
    George and Carrie
    2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 Powerstroke, BTS trans, DPTuner, Tru-kool 40k BTU cooler, TurboSmart waste-gate actuator,V and mod'd B code leaf springs, Prodigy P2 Controller, Blue Ox 1500lb hitch, 205k
    2007 AF 26Z-2, 507 TPMS, 225-75-16 E BFG Commercials LT's, 1-Yamaha EF2000is

Comment

Originally posted by RocklinDave View Post
      Hwy 89 through the Lassen NP is currently closed for the winter. Hwy 89 reaches an elevation of 8,500ft inside the park and is two lane.
      Google routes 89 from Mt Shasta / McCloud to Old Station then on 44 to Susanville. I believe that does not include any of 89 that is closed but am still thinking it could be iffy. But the From what I have heard and read I am not sure I would pull a TT through Lassen Park from the Visitor Center to Manzanita Lake even in the summer!

The 39-139 route to Susanville and on RCKIN mentioned is a possibility though. I will have to Google Earth it and see what it looks like. If it seems OK, then would need to find an overnight the first night near Susanville instead of at Sheldon.
      2001 F-350 V-10 4X4 CC 68,000 miles. Added Larger Transmission Cooler, Rear View Camera, ScanGauge II.
      2018 Nash 26N. 540W Solar, 2nd Bathroom Medicine Cabinet, Progressive Industries EMS, Two Recliners,
      2015 Nash 17K Previous

Let's Go Geocaching!

Comment

Nice newer rest area on 395 approximately 20 miles south of Susanville. Honey Lake Rest area

-120.46804 40.25785
        George and Carrie
        2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 Powerstroke, BTS trans, DPTuner, Tru-kool 40k BTU cooler, TurboSmart waste-gate actuator,V and mod'd B code leaf springs, Prodigy P2 Controller, Blue Ox 1500lb hitch, 205k
        2007 AF 26Z-2, 507 TPMS, 225-75-16 E BFG Commercials LT's, 1-Yamaha EF2000is

Comment

We camped at the Eagles Nest RV park along 139 between Klamath Falls and Susanville a few years ago. The host told us not to take the 139 route between Canby and Susanville because it's very steep and curvy. She suggested driving around via 299 to Alturas then 395 to Susanville. We took her advice.

In addition to Google Maps and street view you can check elevation and grades at FlattestRoute.com. The site will show you elevation and grade between any 2 points on a Google map. It's easiest between cities but you can enter lat/long coordinates in a format Google maps will recognize as well. I've found that site really helps me better understand how challenging a route will be.
          Bruce & Shannon
          Redmond Washington
          2017 Arctic Fox 27-5L replacing a 2013 Lance 1685
          2016 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD High Country Edition

Comment

Hi Will,

As Offspring mentioned, there is a real nice rest area south of Susanville, we've stopped there but never spent the night. There is a rest area on 139 in the Modac NF next to a campground called Willow Creek (on google maps zoom in around Hayden Hill). The campground will be closed in March, but we like to stay at the rest area, it's mainly a wide area along the road but room for a fair number of rigs and always nice and quite. The steepest part with the most curves is just before Susanville, I don't mind it but the wife doesn't like it so I've been cutting over to 395 about 15 miles South of Willow creek campground at a road called Themo-Grasshopper rd. Nice flat route from there down to Susanville, not as scenic but a easier drive and only adds 10-15 miles to the route.

Also, if you go that way there is a nice little cutoff called Lookout road shortly after the CA inspection station that takes you down to Adin and back to 139 without going around through Canby. It's a very nice road through the forest.
            2016 Ram 3500 Longhorn: 4X4, Crew Cab, LB, DRW, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin, 3.73, Auto Level Rear Air Suspension, Reese 20k Elite Hitch, Amp Bedstep 2, Aero 70 Gal Underbed Fuel Tank
            2016 AF 27-5L: 10 Cu Ft Fridge, Thomas Payne Sofa w/air Mattress,15K AC, 2" Receiver, Progressive Industries EMS-HW30C Surge Protector

Comment

Hi Will, I am a little late as you have had lots of good input and I will add mine. You could take 140 to Lakeview and on over to Winnemucca, NV then I would take I 80 down to the junction of 95 to Fallon and stay on 95 all the way to Vegas. 95 is a great road. Another option is 140 to Lakeview, 395 south to the Cedarville junction with 299 east, then in Cedarville turn south to Gerlach, NV and on to Fernley then you have the option of Alt. 95 through Yerington, NV or 95 through Fallon. The road from Cedarville to Gerlach is not the best but I like it because no one is on it. The other option is 140 to Lakeview and 395 all the way to Reno then east to 95. Enjoy your travels however it takes you.
              Pete & Pam
              2015 GMC 3500 SRW Duramax, Long Bed CC.
              2017 AF 27-5L, 10 CF Frig., 4 Point Leveling, 2 Fantastic Fans, 15K AC, Tank Heat Pads, 2 100 watt solar panels with 2000 watt inverter, 4 6VB-440 amp, B & W Companion Slider.

Comment

Originally posted by Ptalbott View Post
                You could take 140 to Lakeview and on over to Winnemucca, NV then I would take I 80 down to the junction of 95 to Fallon and stay on 95 all the way to Vegas. 95 is a great road.
                Hi Pete - That is the route I was originally doing as we are familiar with it. But I started considering other possibilities that are shorter. For example the route through Klamath Falls then 39/139 through Susanville and Reno to 95 is about 2 hours less. Not sure yet what we will do.

2001 F-350 V-10 4X4 CC 68,000 miles. Added Larger Transmission Cooler, Rear View Camera, ScanGauge II.
                2018 Nash 26N. 540W Solar, 2nd Bathroom Medicine Cabinet, Progressive Industries EMS, Two Recliners,
                2015 Nash 17K Previous

Let's Go Geocaching!

Comment

Will: You are putting to much worry into an easy trip. If you can
                  get over Ashland its smooth sailing to Shasta,Susanville and Reno.
                  Right now we are in a storm. that is putting plenty of snow on the
                  mountains at 7000 ft ans we have seen nothing but dark clouds here
                  in Reno. Hook the trailer and go. Ken
                  15 Dodge, another diesel

08 Arctic Fox 25R

Comment

You may be right but checking the Cal Trans site tonight there are no restrictions over the Siskiyou Summit or into Ca on I-5. Just some light rain in that area. But at the same time there is one section of 89, (before the closed for winter area), and 2 sections of 44 with chains or snow tires required. I do worry a bit, but really do not want to pull the TT through the Mtns on roads with even a small amount of snow.

Thanks for all the advice, I think we have about covered it. When we are closer to leaving in several days, I will check the weather and decide. Nice thing about being retired is that if a more comfortable trip takes a couple of hours longer, it is no big deal.
                    2015 Nash 17K Previous

Let's Go Geocaching!

Comment

Originally posted by Will View Post
                      ...When we are closer to leaving in several days, I will check the weather and decide...
                      Good idea. Looks like a cold storm in the forecast for CA / OR.

Per the NWS: I-5 from the CA / OR border to the Mt. Shasta area is calling for snow showers from tonight through Sunday night with lows in the 20's.
                      Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Working...
                      X