Please Visit Our Sponsors

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heading to Weslaco, TX... any thoughts ?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heading to Weslaco, TX... any thoughts ?

Thinking of heading there late this year. Not planning on making reservations.

Heard it is friendly and has a lot of Cdns..

Any thoughts ?
    2001 Freightliner FL60 Sport Chassis, 3126b, Pac-Brake, Air Cab, Brakes & Suspension, Ultra Shift, McCall 5th Hitch with Binkley Head
    2010 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5T (Silver Fox Edition)
    DW- Carol
    DD - '93
    DS- '95
    Faffy & Lulu, our Beagle co-pilots

"Ka ka ka ka haina mbaraka"

"Late this year" . . . meaning late 2018 which is one year from now?

I'm not a fan of that area of Texas known as "the valley" and not very familiar with it but I know it's a popular snowbird destination. There probably are thousands of Canadians and upper mid-westerners spending their winter there to escape their winter weather in the north. I would expect dozens, possibly hundreds of rv parks in the area packed full of snowbirds during the winter.

If you are thinking of spending time there in December-January I would recommend reservations. Unless some of our Canadian members know the area you might get better information on snowbird websites or among Canadians who winter in Texas.
    Harvey Barlow
    USN Retired
    Glade Springs, WV
    2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab & Chassis, Cummins ISB6.7 Aisin CM Flatbed BrakeSmart Transfer Flow 212k miles
    2011 Arctic Fox 26X LT245/75R16LRE tires Yamaha 2400
    2012 Unnamed 10' Slide-In Truck Camper

Comment

Thanks. 2018 is this year ... or it is in Canada

Have been told to avoid some places in AZ but the person couldn't talk long and wasn't told where.. have you done Az ?

We are looking for a base that wee can initially explore from. We know zero of the area and just open to new experiences. This will be our longest .. in time and distance.. trip for us since we started rv'ing in '05... but we have been thinking about this for a long time..hence the truck.
      2001 Freightliner FL60 Sport Chassis, 3126b, Pac-Brake, Air Cab, Brakes & Suspension, Ultra Shift, McCall 5th Hitch with Binkley Head
      DW- Carol
      DD - '93
      DS- '95

Comment

Originally posted by HBarlow View Post
        "Late this year" . . . meaning late 2018 which is one year from now?

I'm not a fan of that area of Texas known as "the valley" and not very familiar with it but I know it's a popular snowbird destination. There probably are thousands of Canadians and upper mid-westerners spending their winter there to escape their winter weather in the north. I would expect dozens, possibly hundreds of rv parks in the area packed full of snowbirds during the winter.

If you are thinking of spending time there in December-January I would recommend reservations. Unless some of our Canadian members know the area you might get better information on snowbird websites or among Canadians who winter in Texas.
        Remember that the destinations of Rockport and Port Aransas were greatly impacted by Hurricane Harvey so some people who were planning to stay at those locations likely had to consider other options, such as the valley. That said, hopefully they will have recovered by later this year.
        2008 Ford F250 Powerstroke
        2006 Arctic Fox 29-5T

Comment

Ian, we lived in AZ for 25 years and have been to almost any place you could name. Feel free to ask anything you like.
          Gordon-Mary Anne Sunny-Radar Rescue Dogs 2018 Arctic Fox 25W 2-12 volt Interstate Deep Cycle 2015 Chevrolet Crew Cab LTZ HD 2500 D/A 4x4 3.73 Leer Cab High Camper Shell Honda EU2000ia Zamp solar
          Equal-i-zer Hitch 1000 lb bars 2018 Days Camped 15 Miles Towed 562 Total Days 307 Total Miles Towed 30,545 sigpic

Comment

I had forgotten abort the Hurricane. Darn.

Gordon, we have ordered a trip tik, maps and such from CAA (AAA). I have the Good Dam's massive RV location book. When we get up to semi speed, I will take you up on your kid offer.

My wife works 80+ hours a week (paid for 40) and had to give 3 months notice so I suspect there will be a s storm of activity when she gives notice.

thanks.
            DW- Carol
            DD - '93
            DS- '95

Comment

Yuma is nice this time of the year and Quartzsite RV show is nice to visit. We like to spend a few days in Yuma and usually get our rig washed and waxed while we are there....
              Rick & Debbi El Paso, Texas (NJ5W/N5GHN)
              2016 27-5L Disc Brakes, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 30amp Surge Protector, Sat Dish, Solar, MORryde CRE 3000 with X factor.
              2015 GMC Duramax, Allison Trans, B&W Companion hitch, Ultimate Air Bags

Comment

Originally posted by txshirle View Post

Remember that the destinations of Rockport and Port Aransas were greatly impacted by Hurricane Harvey so some people who were planning to stay at those locations likely had to consider other options, such as the valley. That said, hopefully they will have recovered by later this year.
                Good point! I was forgetting that it was not only Houston that was severely flooded but the entire Texas Gulf Coast.

Much of the coast will have probably recovered and been repaired a year from now but there could be lingering damage that will effect availability and prices.
                Harvey Barlow
                USN Retired
                Glade Springs, WV
                2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab & Chassis, Cummins ISB6.7 Aisin CM Flatbed BrakeSmart Transfer Flow 212k miles

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                  Thanks. 2018 is this year ... or it is in Canada

Have been told to avoid some places in AZ but the person couldn't talk long and wasn't told where.. have you done Az ?

We are looking for a base that wee can initially explore from. We know zero of the area and just open to new experiences. This will be our longest .. in time and distance.. trip for us since we started rv'ing in '05... but we have been thinking about this for a long time..hence the truck.
                  Ian,

Keep scale in mind as you consider Texas destinations. The distances will surprise you until you spend time here.

It's very easy to look at a destination on a Texas map and think a place you'd like to go is only a short distance from where you are. It won't be. Travel from south Texas to anywhere else in the state will require one to two full days of travel with a trailer in tow.

For example: The distance from El Paso on the western tip to Waskom along I-20 in east Texas is 801 miles. Likewise, the distance from the northernmost point in the Texas Panhandle to Brownsville in the valley is 832 miles.
                  Harvey Barlow
                  USN Retired
                  Glade Springs, WV

Comment

My favorite areas of Texas are the North Central, North East and the Hill Country around Austin. North Central and North East actually have real trees. The folks in the Hill Country say they have trees but in reality they are just huge shrubs.

Not a fan of West Texas and we try stay clear of the Houston area.

Harvey's point about the size of Texas is right on - it's very deceiving. When we leave the Austin area and head west to go home - it always takes us 2 days to get from Austin to El Paso - TEXAS is ONE BIG STATE!

Bill
                    Bill, Mary, and Scottie
                    2015 RAM 3500 Crew Cab, Long Bed, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin, SRW, B&W Companion OEM Hitch
                    2017 AF 27-5L
                    2009 Polaris RZR (the 2nd most fun thing you can do without actually laughing)
                    http://badges.fuelly.com/images/sig-us/719790.png

Comment

Originally posted by BZawlocki View Post
                      My favorite areas of Texas are the North Central, North East and the Hill Country around Austin. North Central and North East actually have real trees. The folks in the Hill Country say they have trees but in reality they are just huge shrubs.

Not a fan of West Texas and we try stay clear of the Houston area.

Harvey's point about the size of Texas is right on - it's very deceiving. When we leave the Austin area and head west to go home - it always takes us 2 days to get from Austin to El Paso - TEXAS is ONE BIG STATE!

Bill
                      When we leave Austin we laugh because we don't travel an 'inch' west for two days, taking our favorite most northern route.

Got agree with you on west Texas, the I-10 is our least favorite route, which is hard for me explain exactly because I love driving through empty parts of Nevada. I will say this though I-10 in west Texas is as nice of a highway as you'll find anywhere.
                      George and Carrie
                      2001 Ford Excursion 7.3 Powerstroke, BTS trans, DPTuner, Tru-kool 40k BTU cooler, TurboSmart waste-gate actuator,V and mod'd B code leaf springs, Prodigy P2 Controller, Blue Ox 1500lb hitch, 205k
                      2007 AF 26Z-2, 507 TPMS, 225-75-16 E BFG Commercials LT's, 1-Yamaha EF2000is

Comment

Originally posted by rreynolds51 View Post
                        Yuma is nice this time of the year and Quartzsite RV show is nice to visit. We like to spend a few days in Yuma and usually get our rig washed and waxed while we are there....
                        Can you tell us where you go for your wash/wax? Our poor trailer is in dire need of a wax and we're going to be heading down that way shortly...
                        Bruce & Shannon
                        Redmond Washington
                        2017 Arctic Fox 27-5L replacing a 2013 Lance 1685
                        2016 Chevy Silverado 3500 HD High Country Edition

Comment

Not exactly on topic, but close! Interesting, heart-wrenching article in latest Trailer Life titled "Weathering the Storm." This family-owned RV park in La Grange, Texas, on the Colorado River, wasn't totaled by the hurricane but the rains that followed. They were 30 to 40 feet above the river and it rose to 57 feet. I can just imagine what some of the parks nearer the coast look like.
                          Linda & Dave (retired US Army) and Magic, the Yellow Lab Duck Dog
                          2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i, Les Schwab 105 6-volt batteries, Maxxis Tires, Torque Lift Steps
                          2017 RAM 2500 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4, CTD, 8' Bed, Granite Crystal, new 7/1/17
                          2003 DODGE 3500 SLT Quad Cab 244K mi. SOLD 7/20/17

Comment

Thanks.. just waiting for the maps to arrive. My dw is a map connoisseur

Love the story about distances in Tx. One opposite .. during the old days when you could only get to Prince Edward Island by boat, because it looked so small, some tourists would leave their cars on one side assuming they could walk the Island. No kidding.

Would we be better off running to Az and MN first ? Then Tx ? Our only "must stop" is a first cousin in Tn..and we can do they going or coming back.
                            DW- Carol
                            DD - '93
                            DS- '95

Comment

Originally posted by Ian View Post
                              Thanks.. just waiting for the maps to arrive. My dw is a map connoisseur

Love the story about distances in Tx. One opposite .. during the old days when you could only get to Prince Edward Island by boat, because it looked so small, some tourists would leave their cars on one side assuming they could walk the Island. No kidding.

Would we be better off running to Az and MN first ? Then Tx ? Our only "must stop" is a first cousin in Tn..and we can do they going or coming back.
                              Ian,

I can't answer that . . . your routing depends on your own travel goals and priorities. I think I would route through MN, then to AZ, then to south Texas or MN, TX, then AZ. You definitely don't want to park your trailer in south Texas to see AZ.
                              Harvey Barlow
                              USN Retired
                              Glade Springs, WV

Comment

Working...
                              X