Hi Guys I'm new and have questions on a Arctic Fox Silver edition 32A

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi Guys I'm new and have questions on a Arctic Fox Silver edition 32A

I haven't decided yet but leaning really hard towards an Arctic Fox 32A. This will be our very first TT and due to my husbands occupation and the truck that he already has we have excluded a 5th wheel. (2016 Ford F250 Diesel 4x4 6.7 LB SRW) He uses a utilty cap on the truck.

Several months ago I came across people talking about the Arctic Fox and saw pictures (I even have gone to the RV show in Hershey PA twice looking) but have never saw one in person. I come to find that they are scarce one the East coast. I will be making a trip to a Dealership about 3 hrs away to see models next weekend. I guess after hearing horror stories and seeing my friends go through a nightmare with their new 5th wheel we are really gun shy. This would be a expensive mistake if we get it wrong.

I guess with the year long searching and going in and out of many makes and models I keep coming back to the Arctic Fox.

Here are some of my questions if you can help:

Can you share with me the average % off of MSRP you have observed when purchasing your new rig?

How well has the manufacturer been with you if you ran into a serious problem?

What would you say are the "Must haves" options that you feel were important and you use? 50 amp service and second air for me is a must no questions asked. I have plenty of my own private summers....LOL

What hitch would you recommend for the TT (Hensley or Pro Pride)?

Do any of you travel a distances to a dealership for service?

How are the mattresses in the TT? I know not really important just curious.

I live in the city so I will have to pay about 125.00 a month to store the TT. Do you use covers when not in use?

Is Northwood still owned by Northwood or are they owned by another company? So many RV's are all owned by the big 3.

And most importantly, what do you think of the finishes and the workmanship?

Thank you all so much in advance for your valuable input and suggestions on our quest for the perfect (for us) TT. I want something that we can hold onto for several years and not worry about it falling apart in a short time.

Did anyone order the low profile AC units and are there pros and cons to the added price?

Did anyone order the electric scissor jacks? Do you like them?

Did anyone order the upgraded shades in their RV? Pros and Cons?

TV: 2016 F250 4X4 SUPER CAB LONG BED LARIAT 6.7 DIESEL

ON ORDER: ARTIC FOX 2018 32 A: Slide out topper/Ward toppers with Alumaguard, Alumaguard Main Awning, 24" TV Bedroom, 15K Low Profile air w/ducting, Fan vent Bathroom, Power Scissor Jacks, Slow Rise Night Shades, Holding Tank Heat Pads, Fireplace, 50 Amp Service, 2 Cross Stitch Swivel Rocker Recliners, Rear View Camera, Low Profile 2nd air, 2" Receiver.

First TT ? I would buy a good used unit. If you hate rv'ing, than you are not out big bucks on a unit that depreciates like mad for the first 3 years...and most likely, someone else has worked out the bugs.

I have never used a dealer in the 12 years we have been rv'ing even though we bough a new SOB in '06. For my suspension checks, I take it to my normal mechanic. I do most everything else.

The nearest AF dealer to me is just over 3K miles..and I have never been near to another AF TT or 5th...but hoping I will some day

I have dragged mine 20K miles in 3 years ( a lot of secondary roads) and I have only replaced my kitchen sink faucets...so they are tough.

Good luck in your search.

Ian.

2001 Freightliner FL60 Sport Chassis, 3126b, Pac-Brake, Air Cab, Brakes & Suspension, Ultra Shift, McCall 5th Hitch with Binkley Head
    2010 Northwood Arctic Fox 29-5T (Silver Fox Edition)
    DW- Carol
    DD - '93
    DS- '95
    Faffy & Lulu, our Beagle co-pilots

"Ka ka ka ka haina mbaraka"

Comment

Can you share with me the average % off of MSRP you have observed when purchasing your new rig? 15-20%

How well has the manufacturer been with you if you ran into a serious problem? N/A

What hitch would you recommend for the TT (Hensley or Pro Pride)? They are very similar. Propride is an updated design. They are not a conventional design, so know what you are getting into before committing. Blue Ox SwayPro is an excellent conventional hitch.

Do any of you travel a distances to a dealership for service? N/A

How are the mattresses in the TT? A bit soft. Most people add a topper or replace. We have 20+ nights in ours with no topper and have slept just fine.

I live in the city so I will have to pay about 125.00 a month to store the TT. Do you use covers when not in use? N/A

Is Northwood still owned by Northwood or are they owned by another company? Northwood Manufacturing is a private company.

And most importantly, what do you think of the finishes and the workmanship? This is my second Northwoods product. I like the finishes and am happy with the quality. However, it is an RV and I have set my expectations accordingly.

Did anyone order the low profile AC units and are there pros and cons to the added price? I have a single low profile 15K AC. The AC is lower than my vent covers. Thus, I will sacrifice a cheap vent cover prior to an expensive AC if I stray under a low branch or other immovable object. I chose the low profile to keep my overall height to a minimum. It is a little louder when you are outside; can't notice any difference when inside.

Did anyone order the electric scissor jacks? Do you like them? I did not order them and based on forum feedback, I would never order them. A conventional scissor jack and a cordless drill is faster than the electric ones. Plus, nothing electrical to fail on the manual ones.

Did anyone order the upgraded shades in their RV? Pros and Cons? ​​​​​​​N/A

2018 Arctic Fox 28F
      2015 Nash 24M (traded May 2017)
      Blue Ox SwayPro (1500 lb. bars)
      2016 Ram 3500 Laramie Longhorn CTD CC SRW
      Standard Bed (6'4"), Aisin, Air suspension
      Transfer Flow 50 Gallon In-Bed Auxiliary Tank

Comment

Thank you for your guidance. We already know that we will love RVing. We have been going with our friends now for over a year. We also had grandparents who owned rvs years ago and enjoyed it as kids. My husband is a contractor and we know that it helps to be handy since things will happen. The problem with finding a nice used one is Arctic fox are not readily found on the east coast and although they are not perfect they have a solid reputation from what I have been reading. We also want to be able to travel with our dog without staying in doggie hotels. Our older sons also want to go from time to time.

ON ORDER: ARTIC FOX 2018 32 A: Slide out topper/Ward toppers with Alumaguard, Alumaguard Main Awning, 24" TV Bedroom, 15K Low Profile air w/ducting, Fan vent Bathroom, Power Scissor Jacks, Slow Rise Night Shades, Holding Tank Heat Pads, Fireplace, 50 Amp Service, 2 Cross Stitch Swivel Rocker Recliners, Rear View Camera, Low Profile 2nd air, 2" Receiver.

Comment

I am picking up a new 29L on Friday and paid 79% of MSRP. The MSRP included $1300 for delivery to the dealer but no dealer prep.
          2016 Ram 2500 4x4 Laramie
          *2001 Arctic Fox 29V
          South Lake Tahoe, CA

Comment

How exciting. Please let me know your opinion and first impression of the new rig. I just spoke to the dealer closes to me and we will be going up next Sat to explore the trailers. I know that the destination fee will be $2800.00. They are also sending out a build sheet for me to look at an she took the time to explain and answer a lot of questions I had.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasper View Post
              I haven't decided yet but leaning really hard towards an Arctic Fox 32A. This will be our very first TT and due to my husbands occupation and the truck that he already has we have excluded a 5th wheel. (2016 Ford F250 Diesel 4x4 6.7 LB SRW) He uses a utilty cap on the truck.

Several months ago I came across people talking about the Arctic Fox and saw pictures (I even have gone to the RV show in Hershey PA twice looking) but have never saw one in person. I come to find that they are scarce one the East coast. I will be making a trip to a Dealership about 3 hrs away to see models next weekend. I guess after hearing horror stories and seeing my friends go through a nightmare with their new 5th wheel we are really gun shy. This would be a expensive mistake if we get it wrong.

I guess with the year long searching and going in and out of many makes and models I keep coming back to the Arctic Fox.

Here are some of my questions if you can help:

Can you share with me the average % off of MSRP you have observed when purchasing your new rig? A 25% discount is possible and perhaps more likely in winter when rv sales are slow. Price depends on many variables including age of inventory, time of year, your negotiating skills, etc.

How well has the manufacturer been with you if you ran into a serious problem? Depends entirely on dealer. Search he forum for member experiences with your dealer before buying. Personally I would travel farther to buy from a dealer with an excellent reputation. I've purchased trailers from FL, IL, KS, MN, and NY while living in TX.

What would you say are the "Must haves" options that you feel were important and you use? 50 amp service and second air for me is a must no questions asked. I have plenty of my own private summers....LOL Options are based on personal preferences and your intended usage. 50 amp service is good. A second ac can be added later if needed but 50 amp power is required for a second ac.

What hitch would you recommend for the TT (Hensley or Pro Pride)? I'm old school. I prefer a Reese or Curt

Do any of you travel a distances to a dealership for service? Distance means little to me. I would buy the right trailer for the right price from the right dealer regardless of distance. Trailers have wheels and can be towed.

How are the mattresses in the TT? I know not really important just curious. No opinion. Usually marginal.

I live in the city so I will have to pay about 125.00 a month to store the TT. Do you use covers when not in use? Not recommended. Covers trap moisture and can cause fiberglass scuffing with movement between cover and surface.

Is Northwood still owned by Northwood or are they owned by another company? So many RV's are all owned by the big 3. Northwood is a corporation founded by Ron Nash. I don't think anyone here knows who owns the corporation now. I don't think Keystone, Forest River, or Thor own Northwood. We would know if they did.

And most importantly, what do you think of the finishes and the workmanship? Compared to the RV industry Northwood is among the best. I would not expect perfection unless you buy from a dealer who has been repeatedly commended here for excellent pre-delivery inspection and preparation.

Thank you all so much in advance for your valuable input and suggestions on our quest for the perfect (for us) TT. I want something that we can hold onto for several years and not worry about it falling apart in a short time. Your questions indicate you are doing a great job investigating the industry and comparing products. Your purchase should turn out better than most.

Did anyone order the low profile AC units and are there pros and cons to the added price? Low profile might matter more if you will store the trailer in a building or under shelter with low overhead height or use lots of state parks with low trees.

Did anyone order the electric scissor jacks? Do you like them? I've neve owned them and would not buy them. Manual stabilizer jacks are good enough for me and I need the exercise.

Did anyone order the upgraded shades in their RV? Pros and Cons? I don't know what is now standard in new NW trailers but the old style heavy day/night shades are excellent and worth paying more for if NW is now using something of lesser quality to save costs.

See bold text within quote.
              Harvey Barlow
              USN Retired
              Crosby County, TX
              2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab & Chassis, Cummins ISB6.7 Aisin CM Flatbed BrakeSmart Transfer Flow 190,000 miles
              2011 Arctic Fox 26X, Yamaha 2400

Comment

Thank you for your advice. I can't wait to make the trip to see one. Crunching numbers.

Comment

Originally posted by HBarlow View Post

See bold text within quote.Northwood is a corporation founded by Ron Nash. I don't think anyone here knows who owns the corporation now. I don't think Keystone, Forest River, or Thor own Northwood. We would know if they did.
                  Northwood Manufacturing and Outdoors RV are still owned by Ron and Sherry Nash. Neither have been involved in the day to day operations since Ron's stroke in January 2010.

2017 Ford F-350 XLT SC LB 6.7L Diesel 4x2 SRW
                  2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L w/slide-out toppers, 15K AC, bedroom fan vent, powered sliding stab jacks, 50 amp service, 2" receiver hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, LevelMatePRO, Ford trailer camera & trailer TPMS

Comment

As a current owner of a 2015 32A, I'll try to answer some of your questions:

1) Northwood has been very helpful when I needed a few parts. Dave in the service/parts area is a real star.
                    2) A second A/C and 50 amp service is a good addition. Suggest you go with both units as low profile.
                    I believe the new 32A's have the fireplace standard. We use our a lot and it take 1500 amps by itself.
                    You should see if an EMS can be wired in from the factory. We have a portable one and I can see the
                    voltage variations.
                    3) We tow our 32A with good old 1200 lb round bars and two sway controls. I've towed with out sway control
                    with no problems. Northwood makes a great towing trailer!
                    4) We love the standard mattress.
                    5) Fit and finish is good but could be better. All manufacturers rely on the dealers to fix little things. Plan to
                    camp near your deal the first couple of nights and check everything out. Check ALL screws to find scripped
                    ones....
                    6) We have the regular jacks with a good electric drill. They work fine and are easily replaced if needed.
                    7) We have the regular shades and they work fine. You'll need the pillow-like pads to block out the roof
                    vents however.

The 32A is a great trailer! Any other questions, feel free to ask......
                    2005 Chevrolet Avalanche 2500 8.1 Liter Gas Engine, 4X4, 12,000 Tow Rating
                    2015 Arctic Fox 32A (4) 6-Volt Batteries, Fireplace

Comment

I was looking at ordering an ORV unit and was told Sherry is on the board at ORV and is often on site. Reading between the lines my guess would be that Ron & Sherry bought the old Winnebago plant in LaGrange and started ORV I think in 2009. Shortly after Ron had a heart attack and was no longer able to continue in the day to day operations. Iím thinking their banking group probably got concerned without Ron at the helm. My guess there was some type of investor group (maybe private equity) that was brought in to stabilize the situation and probably had to give up some equity in Northwood to get the deal done. Remember ORV was so new and small, there was not much interest in them. As far as I have seen there is no disclosure about this so if Iím correct would doubt any established mainstream rv company is involved. Also the comments about NW quality may support this shift. I was told that the frames are made by the same plant with ďprobablyĒ different specs.

Anyway, this is only my own speculation, donít know if we will every know the actual facts and truth be told, itís not really any of my/our business. I have never met or talked with Ron or Sherry but I for one would like to give the kiddos for the path they blazed in a tough RV industry and am proud and happy to own a Northwood.
                      2016 AF 32A, 50amp, AC low profile 15K & 13.5K, Blue Ox SwayPro, Slide Toppers
                      2011 F350 KR PSD DRW, H&S Mini Max, Hellwig Sway Bar, Air bags

Comment

Ron took over the Fleetwood plant (Prowler, I think) in La Grande, not Winnebago. After his stroke he wasn't very involved. The frames for Outdoors RV are made at the Northwood plant but specs are a little different. If this discussion is going to continue start a new thread, but I think most facts have been given--we are off topic here!
                        Linda & Dave (retired US Army) and Magic, the Yellow Lab Duck Dog
                        2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i, Les Schwab 105 6-volt batteries, Maxxis Tires, Torque Lift Steps
                        2017 RAM 2500 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4, CTD, 8' Bed, Granite Crystal, new 7/1/17
                        2003 DODGE 3500 SLT Quad Cab SOLD 7/20/17

Comment

Originally posted by jswharton View Post
                          I was looking at ordering an ORV unit and was told Sherry is on the board at ORV and is often on site. Reading between the lines my guess would be that Ron & Sherry bought the old Winnebago plant in LaGrange and started ORV I think in 2009. Shortly after Ron had a heart attack and was no longer able to continue in the day to day operations. Iím thinking their banking group probably got concerned without Ron at the helm. My guess there was some type of investor group (maybe private equity) that was brought in to stabilize the situation and probably had to give up some equity in Northwood to get the deal done. Remember ORV was so new and small, there was not much interest in them. As far as I have seen there is no disclosure about this so if Iím correct would doubt any established mainstream rv company is involved. Also the comments about NW quality may support this shift. I was told that the frames are made by the same plant with ďprobablyĒ different specs.

Anyway, this is only my own speculation, donít know if we will every know the actual facts and truth be told, itís not really any of my/our business. I have never met or talked with Ron or Sherry but I for one would like to give the kiddos for the path they blazed in a tough RV industry and am proud and happy to own a Northwood.
                          Interesting article from shortly after Ron's stroke http://www.truckcampermagazine.com/l...manufacturing/

2017 Ford F-350 XLT SC LB 6.7L Diesel 4x2 SRW
                          2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L w/slide-out toppers, 15K AC, bedroom fan vent, powered sliding stab jacks, 50 amp service, 2" receiver hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-HW50C, LevelMatePRO, Ford trailer camera & trailer TPMS

Comment

Thanks for posting that link. cobbfmly's link to the Truck Camper article answers a lot of the questions. I tried to move this to a new topic but it didn't work. I think we've covered most info available so please no more posts here. Thanks.
                            Linda & Dave (retired US Army) and Magic, the Yellow Lab Duck Dog
                            2002 Arctic Fox 25R, Yamaha 2400i, Les Schwab 105 6-volt batteries, Maxxis Tires, Torque Lift Steps
                            2017 RAM 2500 Bighorn Crew Cab 4x4, CTD, 8' Bed, Granite Crystal, new 7/1/17
                            2003 DODGE 3500 SLT Quad Cab SOLD 7/20/17

Comment

Originally posted by cookeze View Post
                              As a current owner of a 2015 32A, I'll try to answer some of your questions:

1) Northwood has been very helpful when I needed a few parts. Dave in the service/parts area is a real star.
                              2) A second A/C and 50 amp service is a good addition. Suggest you go with both units as low profile.
                              I believe the new 32A's have the fireplace standard. We use our a lot and it take 1500 amps by itself.
                              You should see if an EMS can be wired in from the factory. We have a portable one and I can see the
                              voltage variations.
                              3) We tow our 32A with good old 1200 lb round bars and two sway controls. I've towed with out sway control
                              with no problems. Northwood makes a great towing trailer!
                              4) We love the standard mattress.
                              5) Fit and finish is good but could be better. All manufacturers rely on the dealers to fix little things. Plan to
                              camp near your deal the first couple of nights and check everything out. Check ALL screws to find scripped
                              ones....
                              6) We have the regular jacks with a good electric drill. They work fine and are easily replaced if needed.
                              7) We have the regular shades and they work fine. You'll need the pillow-like pads to block out the roof
                              vents however.

The 32A is a great trailer! Any other questions, feel free to ask......
                              Thank you so much for the info. We won't be able to get to the dealer until Sat Oct 21. We are excited to see one in person and I've been crunching numbers and trying to find out what a good price would be. The dealership did mail out a build sheet so it helps some with the retail pricing. There is really only one dealership in PA the other is in Ohio. The one in NY is only for truck campers.

Can I ask what type of couch you purchased? The TV in the Living room does it pull out to adjust or is it fixed? The fireplace is still extra. Did you get the rearview camera option? Did you get the toppers and Alumaguard?

Thank you for all the info you can give and advice. The dealer suggested to stay close after taking delivery even if it on their lot for the night. The dealership get great reviews so I'm hoping this will end up being the trailer we decide to purchase.

Comment

Working...
                              X