Larger AC for my 2016 25Y

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Larger AC for my 2016 25Y

I have a 2016 25Y with the 13500 BTU AC unit. I am parked in Paso Robles for a few weeks, and the temperature hit 101 degrees yesterday. The AC ran all day and the best it could do was a cool 82 degrees inside our trailer. Would the 15K AC keep things cooler or would I be wasting my money? I have partial shade in my spot, and we do what we can to reduce the heat load. If anyone has some experience with this, please let me know.
    2006 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins Diesel, Automatic Four Wheel Drive Quad Cab
    2016 AF 25Y

The 15K would help as it would remove more heat. Are your skylights insulated with vent pillows? Do you keep the shades closed? And is your AC installed properly? Many have found the divider that separates the incoming air from the cool discharge air has shifted greatly reducing performance.
    Tony
    2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Crew Cab LB DRW 6.7 Cummins/Aisin 4.10,
    Curt Q24, 2015 Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE,
    2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox,
    Four Cats and yes they travel with us.

Comment

Great that you're not in Phoenix @ 110* today going up to 121* on Tuesday. Of course, you're pretty familiar with hot weather. Yes, a 15K unit would be cooler, but there's no way of telling how much until you try it. Just be sure you have all light openings on the ceiling - bedroom, living room, bathroom insulated with a sun blocking material or pillows; same with as many windows as possible. Run a couple of simple fans in your trailer - moving air will feel cooler. Once you have done that, the next step I would take would be to buy a supplemental air conditioning unit.

https://www.amazon.com/LG-LP0817WSR-...ioner+portable

These are floor standing units that exhaust hot air to the outside through a window opening and cost $500 or less. An advantage in these is that when they are not needed, you can leave them at home and they cost a fraction of replacing your rooftop unit.

Tony's post reminded me that you also need to check the in ceiling duct work. I found several spots in mine where the ductwork was vented into the attic area. Fixing that helped quite a bit and cost only a little Gorilla tape to patch the holes.
      *Ron & Deb Nielson
      2008 Silverado 2500HD CCLB SRW Duramax/Allison, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Bilstein 5100, Kennedy Custom Tuned ECM
      2009 Silver Fox AF29-5T SteadyFast Stabilizer System

Comment

Running fans and moving the air in the trailer is a good idea and will make a big difference. If you go with the portable floor unit for supplemental AC try to find one that is dual hose. Most are single hose. When a single hose units exhausts the hot air out the hose it is pulling in hot air from the outside into your trailer. Kind of defeats the purpose. A dual hose unit uses one of the hoses to pull air from the outside instead of from the inside of your trailer.

Sample one; https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CHQKIZC..._t3_B00YPG4WWW
        Tony
        2016 Ram 3500 4X4 Crew Cab LB DRW 6.7 Cummins/Aisin 4.10,
        Curt Q24, 2015 Kawasaki Teryx 4 LE,
        2013 Artic Fox 29-5T Silver Fox,
        Four Cats and yes they travel with us.

Comment

Originally posted by craigandsue View Post
          I have a 2016 25Y with the 13500 BTU AC unit. I am parked in Paso Robles for a few weeks, and the temperature hit 101 degrees yesterday. The AC ran all day and the best it could do was a cool 82 degrees inside our trailer. Would the 15K AC keep things cooler or would I be wasting my money? I have partial shade in my spot, and we do what we can to reduce the heat load. If anyone has some experience with this, please let me know.
          These units are not like our air conditioners at home. If you know it's going to be a hot day, best to start the A/C in the morning BEFORE the RV interior gets hot. Also like tdeperte suggested, check the baffle in the A/C unit (there's a separate thread about the easy fix).

With it being hot outside and inside, it's sometimes hard for the unit to cool down an already warm/hot RV to below 75.
          Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Craig, pull the inside plastic ceiling vents and mark their directions! Check and see if the air chamber baffle has collapsed! I did an older post on reinstalling and supporting the position of this baffle.
            Doyle & Susie Hughes
            2015 F350 Lariat, PowerStroke w/6 speed Auto, 4X4, 3.55, 11,300 GVW, Camper Package, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Canopy, 14k Equalizer Hitch, Winch, Dash Cam, 12.5mpg.
            2016 32A Arctic Fox, 10 cu ft Refer, Thermopane Windows, Thomas Payne, Surge Protector Hardwired, TPMS TST 507 w/repeater & steel stems, Hitch Receiver, Toppers, Tank Heaters, Maxifans, ZAMP - solar 480w of panels & ZAMP S2000wPRO Inverter, Trojan T-105+s. DISH TV: Winegard Playmaker & Wally. Cargo Carrier & Box.

Comment

Thanks for all of the suggestions, and we are doing all of the above except using a supplemental AC unit. I looked at one today at Home Depot, and that sounds like a great option. The baffle failed last year, and was repaired while I was suffering heat and humidity in Louisiana.
              2016 AF 25Y

Comment

I would first try stopping the heat from entering the trailer with some type of sun blocker in the windows and skylights. Multipurpose window foil cover seems to help reflect some of the sun rays and adds some insulation to the windows and vents.
                2012 Dodge Laramie, 2500 diesel, crew cab
                2015 Arctic Fox 25Y, TM-2030 battery monitor,SC-2030 solar charger, 300w solar system,Tripp-Lite power inverter,TPMS-510RV

Comment

A sprinkler on the roof - does wonders!
                  Doyle & Susie Hughes
                  2015 F350 Lariat, PowerStroke w/6 speed Auto, 4X4, 3.55, 11,300 GVW, Camper Package, Crew Cab, Long Bed, Canopy, 14k Equalizer Hitch, Winch, Dash Cam, 12.5mpg.
                  2016 32A Arctic Fox, 10 cu ft Refer, Thermopane Windows, Thomas Payne, Surge Protector Hardwired, TPMS TST 507 w/repeater & steel stems, Hitch Receiver, Toppers, Tank Heaters, Maxifans, ZAMP - solar 480w of panels & ZAMP S2000wPRO Inverter, Trojan T-105+s. DISH TV: Winegard Playmaker & Wally. Cargo Carrier & Box.

Comment

Lewis&Clark,
                    Sprinkler is a great idea, however, it is California after all, and I am not certain they would allow me to "waste their water". The best course of action is for me to hurry and get the project completed and get back to Olympia. It is a cool 60 something today at my house. I appreciate all of the ideas for keeping me cool, so I am going to ice some more beer and hope to get the heat wave over with...........
                    2016 AF 25Y

Comment

I am mildly surprised that no one suggested a second roof top AC. Two units, a 13.5 in the bedroom and a 15 in the living room would add a lot of capacity. By the time you add a portable unit, you have invested a lot towards a 15k.
                      2016 F-350 SD 4x4 CC LB DRW; B&W RVK3300 Hitch

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5K; All bells and fully whistled.

Comment

If I was going to add a second unit, would my 30 amp service carry the load? I am not sure how I would upgrade to a 50 amp service. Also, I am not staying in this area more than another two weeks, so it is not my fate to have to suffer here for the summer.
                        2016 AF 25Y

Comment

No, I don't think it would, not with the other loads you have. For my trailer, I added a 2nd a/c unit and just power it with an extension cord plugged into the 15 amp outlet at the campground. Did not disturb the existing electrical at all.
                          *Ron & Deb Nielson
                          2008 Silverado 2500HD CCLB SRW Duramax/Allison, B&W Companion, MaxLoader Springs, Bilstein 5100, Kennedy Custom Tuned ECM
                          2009 Silver Fox AF29-5T SteadyFast Stabilizer System

Comment

Did you bring a cord to the side of the trailer? Plug it up inside and run a cord? Not sure I am certain how this gets done.........
                            2016 AF 25Y

Comment

Problem solved

Click image for larger version

Name:	ac.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	253219
                              Travel Blog: www.rocklinroamers.wordpress.com

2015 Chevrolet Silverado 3500HD: SRW, Duramax / Allison 6.6L Turbo-Diesel, Extended Cab, Long Bed, 4x4, Reese 16K Hitch, 50gal In-Bed Fuel Tank (85 gals total)

2016 Arctic Fox 29-5T: Six-Point Leveling System, Fireplace, Two A/C's, Two Honda EU2000i Generators, TST "507" Tire Monitoring System, King-Size Bed, Progressive 'Hard-Wired' 50amp Surge Protector, 16gal Water Heater, Dual-Pane Glass, Slide-Toppers, 50amp Power-Reel, 'G Rated' Sailun Tires.

Comment

Working...
                              X